Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Is my frogspawn spawning

For over 3 years my frogspawn has done great and still is except for one really weird thing. I've done nothing different to my tank that could possibly cause my problem and all my levels are stable.
So here's the thing. About 2 months ago I started noticing one or two tiny particles of the green fleshy pieces floating freely about in my tank. The problem there is that they flow into and attach to my coral, stinging some of them. In some cases this leaves tiny round white spots on things like cap rocks, the mushroom shrivel, etc. I use a baster to remove them which works fine.
It's almost like it's spawning. I'm not sure if I really saw what I thought I did but it looked like one of the tiny particles was basically released into the water from the frogspawn. I found another one on a coral this morning.
Any ideas?
Old 05/08/2007, 07:16 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

It sometime just bails out a polyp or it gets torn off by a fish or something. It is not spawning.
Old 05/08/2007, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

The thing is that there continues to be one, sometimes two of the little pods, I'll call them, released per day. I thought it was because it needed to be fragged, which I did a week ago but it still releases the little pods.
I haven't added any new fish etc., and nothing has ever bothered it before.
Old 05/08/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

it is probably being irritated by something you aren't seeing. if it were spawning you would definitely know. i have seen it on animal planet and stuff like that. it's a ton of little floating balls or pods, that would make your water cloudy.