Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

What paint to use to paint the back of Aquarium?

Which paint is best for painting the back of the aquarium? Thanks!
Old 05/07/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

krylon fusion for painting plastics
Old 05/07/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

If you are just painting the back glass (on the outside) you can use just about any latex paint. I used a roller and it worked great, although I did have to do a couple of coats.
(Click my Red House)
Old 05/07/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Kryon fushon all the way.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I agree that krylon works best for painting plastic, but why spend the extra money to paint the outside glass. Plus since its a spray you will have to tape it off and worry about over-spray. Either way you go it will work.
(Click my Red House)
Old 05/07/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Use Krylon Fusion for plastics (which can then be submirsed) and for the tank back regular Krylon spray paint. Taping off is easy. Make sure that the surface you are painting is laying flat so that the paint doesn't run. The Krylon spray dries real fast. One can will probably cover the back up to around 180 gal. just apply lightly on the first couple of coat/passes. Then you hunker down and cover well the rest of the coats/passes.

Brent
Old 05/08/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac's zoas
Kryon fushon all the way.
where can i find this product?
Old 05/08/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

"Kryon fushon all the way"

"Use Krylon Fusion for plastics "

You know, this topic is getting a bit old. I wish we could put up a sticky or make the search engine more useable for non-premium members.

Everyone is saying use krylon fusion SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTICS!

HELLO!!....

1 - we are not painting a surface that needs the kind of bonding for real plastic. Even if you are painting an acrylic tank - YOU DONT WANT THE PAINT TO BOND! You want to to be easily removable. Hence the desire to NOT USE PAINT FOR PLASTIC.

2 - The Krylon uses propellants that are bad for the environment.

3 - USE LATEX!

I have stated this numerous times:

GO to the nearest DIY store ( HD, LOWES, ACE.... )

Look in the mismatched paint section for a BLUE or whatever other color suits your fancy.

Buy the mismatched paint for ~$1.

Paint the back of the tank ( outside-yes some people think you need to paint the inside.... ).

This solution is CHEAP, NON-hazardous to the tank and the environment, IS REMOVABLE, usually goes on in one coat.... did I mention it is cheap???

For everyone that just spouts out "Use Krylon Fusion" I am sorry to say - JUST SHUT THE HECK UP AND DO A SEARCH NEXT TIME!!!

10" Red Devil-
Sorry - no offense to you, this is probably the #1 most asked question on this forum, and everyone just replies "KRYLON FUSION" see above for why that is the WORST ADVICE!

Stu

Sorry venting
Old 05/08/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Sorry if I wasnt clear:

USE LATEX

Stu
Old 05/08/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Oh, and to be more clear:

DONT! Use Krylon Fusion for Plastics.

Stu - again
Old 05/08/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

I've used latex paint before and brushed it on. I've found the desirable blue color. However, now that I want black, I can't seem to find the right black to use. I've tried the rustoleum latex flat black and it was nearly gray. So, when painting glass, I've heard to use an oil based paint.
Old 05/08/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I think you will have more problems using an oil base paint for glass. If you want black just buy any high gloss black latex. The gloss will give you a much better look. I can't remember what brand I used, but I do remember that it was gloss, not flat, finish.
(Click my Red House)
Old 05/08/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Black Vinyl

Black Vinyl is awesome. I got mone from a boat lettering and graphics shop. They have rolls of the stuff (various colors) and will cut you a piece to your desired length for a decent price. I paid $20 for a 8 foot piece. plenty for my 55 and both sides. Easy to apply. Clean back of tank. Spray with a mild mixture or dishsoap and water. Peel backing off of vinyl and apply to the wet back of the tank. Squeege out bubbles and excess soapy water. Bam! Done in 10 mins. No 30,000 coats of paint and waiting to dry. If you get tired of the color you can always remove it and get a new color instead of scratching paint off. I got a nice black piece for contrast of corals. The rolls from the shop I went to I think (not 100%) were 24" wide. So some trimming was needed. Measure twice cut once. Google Graphics or boat lettering shops in your neighborhood. I think its the same stuff used for vehicle advertising stickers. Have fun.