Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Reef Safe Crab List?

Heya All,

I'm researching potential inhabitants for my 5G w/ shrooms.
I've been trying to do some research on google, and am having difficulty finding meaningful results.

I'm looking for a listing of crabs that are reef safe. Any other good reef resource links would be great too = )

Thanks!
Old 04/28/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

There really isn't a "reef safe" crab out there. The best thing to do is make sure that you have a good population of what ever coral you have, in this case shrooms, and make sure that it is reproducing.

That being said the green mythrax crab is your best bet for being "reef safe", as it is largley a plant eater, but if starved it will resort to meat. According to Dr. Shimek, the problem with these crabs is that they are often mislabeled. So you might not even have that crab.
Old 04/28/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Woo emerald crab!

I was kind of hoping there'd be something more exciting, even if that meant a little bit of feeding = )
Old 04/29/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I have also read about coral crabs being good because they are symbiots, but I have to tell you, I do not know what they are and I keep thinking that they are porcelin crabs(NOT SURE IF THIS IS TRUE)???
Old 04/29/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I have 3 emerald crabs & they don't seem to bother anything now, but I'm putting them in my refugium just to be on the safe side. Got 1 just 2 more to go. I have a porcelain crab, I've never heard they aren't reef safe.
Old 04/29/2007, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Go with pom pom crabs, they're reef safe. So are porcelain crabs. Both are really cool crabs.
Old 04/29/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

2nd the Pom Poms
Old 04/29/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I have 5 or 6 emeralds, 2 strawberry crabs, 2 or 3 pom pom (boxing) crabs, 2 porcelain crabs, a "zebra" urchin crab that I have never caught doing anything harmful, even with extensive middle of the night viewing. I'd say mine have proven themselves "reef-safe". I also have a ton of hermits. I had one hitchhiker "gorilla" crab that seemed to behave, but I couldn't keep trusting him and moved him to my son's fish-only tank. If I had to choose, I'd put in a couple pom pom crabs. and also a porcelain if you want that many. and a small emerald if you're up for it.
Old 04/30/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

in such a small tank how about like a electric blue hemrit crab from hawaii? or even the true halloween the crab
Old 04/30/2007, 11:29 PM
Here's lookin at you

Reef safe can mean different things to different people.

What other livestock are you considering? Chances are many crabs will be fine in there with some mushrooms. If you're planning on keeping some other inverts or fish then it might be a different story.

Emeralds, Sally Light foot, pom pom, porcelin, and hermits would all likely be fine with some shrooms.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 05/01/2007, 09:10 AM
Mouth Pipetting

Get a white porcelain crab, they're awesome!