Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2007, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

Golden Angel hiding

Folks, I bought myself a Golden Pygmy Angel a few days ago, put him in the tank and haven't seen him since. I know they are supposed to be shy but just wanted to know if this is normal as I can't even see him in the rockwork so don't know if it's still alive.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:38 AM
Moved On

Re: Golden Angel hiding

Quote:
Originally posted by lasbrisas
I know they are supposed to be shy
There's your answer. You will prolly never see him for more then a glimpse. Most collecters use cyanide to get them because they hide like such bastards in the corals and rockwork.
Old 04/27/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Oh well ! Another waste of money then. Some people seem to like them alot which is why I got it.
Old 04/27/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Some golden angels that I've seen with my own two eyes can be very friendly. A lot depends on the specimen, the environment, the flow, many factors.

Centropyges are infamous for varying from individual to individual.

You may also just want to give it some more time. Partners also help (when they pair up), because they force the male to be mobile. So there are many factors involved. If it's the largest fish in your tank it will over time become less skittish.
Old 04/27/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

once i get my cameras sensor cleaned i'll take some pics for everyone. really doesn't hide much, especially if i'm standing in front of the tank.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 04/27/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

double post. damn internet connection

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 04/28/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Ok maybe I need more patience, problem is I don't even know if it's still alive as I haven't seen it yet.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:24 AM
unorthodox reefer

They are shy at the beginning, with time they will be out and about on the regular.
Old 04/29/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoos
They are shy at the beginning, with time they will be out and about on the regular.
Fingers crossed then !
Old 05/02/2007, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Just did a water change with all the pumps off and spotted the golden angel under the rockwork so at least I know it's still alive
Old 05/02/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I had one for 10 months or so that I thought was dead all the time. Just when I wrote it off I would catch a glimpse of it. I have not see it in a year, so I assume that it disappeared. Mine was never friendly.
Old 05/02/2007, 11:58 AM
eating my reef

Yeah most of the ones I have seen were super shy....if you caught sight of them once a month, that was great. Not my favorite fish for that reason though they are real purty when you do see them.
Old 05/03/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Oh well looks like mine is the super shy type then so I guess a waste of money. Looked good in the LFS aswell !