Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Ricordia on the reef

If I am to snorkel in the keys, were mite i find florida ricordia on the reef? Id like to see what itlooks like in the wild.. ive been snorkling for like 9 years and ive never noticed it.

also does anyone know the local florida laws for taking corals? I know hard corals are off limits :x
Old 04/15/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

No collecting with in 30-40 miles off shore the keys is nothing but a large marine sanctuary and and they ask you not to remove widlife anywhere to help build back the eco system. As an avid diver and marine tank owener i say dont collect. Let the reef build back up, i was there back in febuary and this is the best i have seen the reefs.
Old 04/16/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

i go on a regular basis. Last time i went i caught a baby octopus under a bridge, and ive had him ever since. Hes an awesome pet. By the way have you been to the dry tortugas? I definetly recommend it.
Old 04/19/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

There are areas of the Keys that you can collect from. It's not all a protected sanctuary. try looking on the FWC (florida wildlife and conservation) website for the limits and species allowed. You also might want to get a map of the keys that shows the preserve areas. Last summer I was there and collected a cleaner crew and they are still doing great in my tank. You just have to be careful where you collect. Soft corals and gorgonians (some) are allowed I think.
Old 04/22/2007, 10:19 PM
Anemone Freak

Corals in general are off limit.

BUT in florida, zoos and mushrooms are considered anemones. And anemones are allowed to be collected.

You are allowed certain types of gorgonians.

Otherwise, your out of luck.
Old 04/24/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I agree the purple sea plume gorgonians can be collected as well as zoos and mushrooms.
All hard corals and a few species of gorgs are off limits. Best to check though........there are limits to the quantity of allowed species.
Old 05/01/2007, 01:24 AM
Dance 4 Life

http://myfwc.com/marine/Regulations/...y_July2006.pdf
Old 05/08/2007, 04:22 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I'll probably get flamed for this but you can take whatever you want as long as you dont get caught. The laws were made for the people that collect for re-sale. I think that if your just taking a few things for your tank go ahead and collect away. I have been bothered by some tree hugers one time I was collecting. And at the time I was collecting legal things such as emerald crabs, snails, and hermits. I had a 125 gallon when I lived in Florida and it was full of things I collected. I used to catch tangs, top hats, coral banded shrimp, and many more things.

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 05/10/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

The laws aren't only there for re-salers. I fish a lot and snorkle alot and know a lot of other people that do. If everyone that had tanks went to the keys to collect then there wouldn't be much to look at down there. I'm not a tree hugger and usually catch and keep as much as I'm allowed to do because I love eating fish and I love my sw tank, but at least respect the laws even if you don't agree with them.
Old 05/10/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

i see what daves saying tho. He respects them, but is being resonable too. I think if your smart enough to not kill the stuff, take it! grow it and take good care of it.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

anyone have any good coordinates in thet keys to dive on a reef?
Old 05/17/2007, 01:02 AM
Engineer

Telling people to go ahead and break the collecting laws is not a good idea, and is not allowed here on RC.

And yes, they do take it seriously if you get caught. Nothing like a court case to really mess up your schedule.

Thank you-

Zeph
RC Moderator
Old 06/14/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Ricordia is typically not found on a reef. It's a backwater animal, found in reef litter/rubble. Only times I've seen it was on the gulf side of the keys down by Marathon...

As for collecting, the regs are for everyone, not just commercial guys. If everyone took just a little something, in time, we'd have nothing left. Remember, there are a hell of a lot of us!

As it is, our reefs are in decline and need good stewardship so that they'll be there for the future. It's not just about having something pretty to look at. The reef is directly tied to our entire ecosystem. Cause one part to fail and the rest follows. Just take what you're allowed and be happy that you have access to such an amazing thing. You could live in N. Dakota and just dream about what it looks like up close... OK, I'm off the soap box!
Old 06/14/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephrant
Telling people to go ahead and break the collecting laws is not a good idea, and is not allowed here on RC.

And yes, they do take it seriously if you get caught. Nothing like a court case to really mess up your schedule.

Thank you-

Zeph
RC Moderator

ehm Im pretty sure ricordia is considered an anem and anem's are not techniquely coral... so i dont think u can get in trouble legaly (maybe moraly , if that makes sense) for taking them, soft coral you can take things under size requlations and gorgs u can take 10 under size.... im pretty sure its along those lines.

Quote:
Originally posted by DSKinchen
Ricordia is typically not found on a reef. It's a backwater animal, found in reef litter/rubble. Only times I've seen it was on the gulf side of the keys down by Marathon...
thats the info im lookin for, im not focused on taking it from its home, i really want to see what natural conditions it favors, for a deeper understanding of these sweet animals, thanks!
Old 06/15/2007, 06:01 AM
Anemone Freak

We just got back from the keys, and unfortunately did not see any ricordia. Just an FYI the no pick for ricordia's is only for commercial not for recreational. You are allowed to collect them, and yes they are an anemone. You are allowed to collect in most of the keys. If it is a state park it is up to the park manager. I verified all this 2 weeks ago when we were down there as FWC was checking my buckets.