Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2002, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Mantel shinking inside, please help

I have a deresa clam that is about 5 inches high for 2 months, my first clam, in a 125 gal reef tank with corals and tangs. Last Wednesday I noticed that it was drawing the mantel in and my purple tank and yellow eye tang were picking at it. I have moved it 3 times and they still seem to pick at it as soon as it starts to come back out and then it snaps shut. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, but I know sometimes fish pick on something if it is sick. I have not done anything different with the tank. I have had my tank for 3 years. I love my clam and don't know what to do. I checked the water and it is perfect. Everything else is growing and multiplying so I don't know the cause. Please help. Thanks Sendie
Old 08/26/2002, 10:51 AM
Moved On

Sendie,
First thing I would do is remove the clam and give him a total detail inspection for any little rice snails. If he is clean then IMO he is going to have to have a new home or the fish that are picking on him will need a new home. Is there any thing else in your tank like crabs, shrimp and other fish or corals? The two fish that are picking on the clam are normally clam safe. But as we know anything can happen. I am assuming that your lighting system is ok and your tanks specks are all ok?
Jim
Old 08/26/2002, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for writing back. I hate the thought of having to give up my clam. I have a lot of corals, xenia, bunch of leathers, mushrooms (plate size), fox and I have a lipstick tank, purple tang, yellow eye tang, skat and a clown fish. I have metal hilides that I added last year from Coral Life which are the biggest they offered. I checked all the tanks specks and all was perfect. I feed the fish 2 times a day so I know that they are feed well. I will give up my clam if they don't stop soon because I really can't stand anything to die. Should I put the clam in a bowl when I take him out with tank water to check him out? Thanks Sendie
Old 08/26/2002, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for writing back. I hate the thought of having to give up my clam. I have a lot of corals, xenia, bunch of leathers, mushrooms (plate size), fox and I have a lipstick tank, purple tang, yellow eye tang, skat and a clown fish, one shrimp and a few hermits and some small snails that appeared out of nowhere about a year ago that hang out on the glass. I have metal hilides that I added last year from Coral Life which are the biggest they offered. I checked all the tanks specks and all was perfect. I feed the fish 2 times a day so I know that they are feed well. I will give up my clam if they don't stop soon because I really can't stand anything to die. Should I put the clam in a bowl when I take him out with tank water to check him out? Thanks Sendie
Old 08/26/2002, 02:39 PM
Clam Trainer

Tell us what your water parameters are. "Perfect" doesn't mean anything because ideal conditions vary depending on many factors. What do you test for? What additives do you use? What are the spectrum and wattage of the MH bulbs you are using? It's hard to help you troubleshoot when all we know is that your water is "perfect" and you have coralife bulbs.
Old 08/26/2002, 04:20 PM
Moved On

Sendie,
Just take him right out of the tank (without water) it will not hurt him. If you fine any of these snails pick them off then under running water at the sink scrub with a soft brush (like a tooth brush) his entire shell area. The key is when putting him back into the tank slowly rotate him up and down under the water. This will get any air bubbles out of him. Your tank sounds like a beauty!
Jim
Old 08/26/2002, 06:25 PM
Moved On

I totally agree with Jim, after inspection and then when you put him back into your tank watch those fish and if they still pick then something need to find a new home.

Hope it works out for you.

Barry
Old 08/27/2002, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Jim. I did exactly as you said. I didn't see any snails or anything on him. I also put some romaine lettuce in the tank to distract the fish which seemed to work. I haven't put any in a while because they make such a mess with it, but it seems to be keeping them busy and my clam looks much better. Thanks for the advice.