Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2007, 10:50 AM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Saltwaterfish.com 4 ur review

Hey guys & gals! Just thought you would like to know what the guarantee at "saltwaterfish.com" is really like.

I bought 3 tangs from them last week. #1 THEY WERE HALF THE SIZE, #2 TWO OF THEM WERE PRETTY BEAT UP, #3 they claim to QT their fish, and that you get nothing but healthy fish. Follow their acclimation procedures and you'll have no problems.

Not true!! Followed all of their steps, which are no different then what I do any way. And still two of them ended up with ich.

I feed my fish a variety of foods plus vitamins and garlic. THEY WERE NOT PICKED ON AT ALL. Now the pbt is missing which I know this means he is dead somewhere in the 200lbs of lr. In order to get a replacement I would have to take my tank apart to find it. Once found I would have to cover it in a thick layer of salt place it in 3 ziploc bags, and ship it back to them. THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, SO I'M OUT 49.99 FOR 1.5" PBT.

In any case here lies the problem. I wrote to them immediately, the first email was received by them without a problem as far as I can tell.

The second email has been returned to me by Mailer Demon stating that they are not receiving emails from me. That you may see that I have not written anything that should make them come to this decision I have inserted copies of the email I sent them, and what I received from Mailer Demon.

"

To whom it may concern: I am writing this email concerning the below order # 64910. I will make this as simple as I can. I didn't complain when the size of the fish was not what I was expecting, only the sailfin is the 3" described the other two are half the size. And further more, now I stand to loose all my fish because two of your fish have ich.

I chose to purchase my fish from your web site because I understood that you quarantine your fish, and I would be receiving healthy fish. Unfortunately this appears not to be the case. The fish arrived alive, were acclimated as specified on your web site; 1.5"(not even close to the 3" advertised on the web site) Powder Blue Tang 4+ hours, Sailfin Tang-Red Sea 4+ hours,1.5"(again as with the Pbt not as advertised) Tennent Tang 3+ hours. All the fish were properly acclimate as all my animals always are. I have been keeping fish for over 34 years, marine fish and invertebrates for over 6 years.
Now I come home check on my animals as always, and what do I find? The Powder Blue & the Sailfin both have ich. Now what am I suppose to do?
This is a 155 gallon reef filled with 200 pounds of live rock with corals attached to them, along with 3 wrasse, pt tang, yellow tang, 5 larytail anthias, 2 bartletts anthias, 3 blue/green chromis, a scooter blenny to name the ones that I can remember. There may be others that I've forgotten. Now I am expected to tear this tank apart to catch the fish and quarantine them and medicate them. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE.
I sincerely hope that you will have some advice, and or remedy this situation.

Be blessed,
Awilda

Customer Information: Delivery Address:

Order information :
Order Id: 64910
Product Name: Quantity Price Per Unit
Powder Blue Tang 1 $49.99
Tennent Tang 1 $24.99
Sailfin Tang - Red Sea 1 $39.99

Total Shipping: $0.00
Total Surcharge: $9.99
Total Fuel Charge: $9.99
Total Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $134.95
Payment method: Credit Card"

"The original message was received at Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:54:19 -0400 (EDT)
from mail.saltwaterfish.com [64.106.136.10]

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section
labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail could
not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message which is a
general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail
administrator.

--AOL Postmaster

<saltwaterfishcom@aol.com>

... while talking to air-ya02.mail.aol.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<saltwaterfishcom@aol.com>
<<< 550 saltwaterfishcom IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER
550 <saltwaterfishcom@aol.com>... User unknown

Final-Recipient: RFC822; saltwaterfishcom@aol.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; air-ya02.mail.aol.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 saltwaterfishcom IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

From: Awibrandy@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:54:00 EDT
Subject: Order # 64910
To: fish@saltwaterfish.com
Old 04/11/2007, 11:22 AM
Norm R Norm R is offline
I have wet shirt sleeves

Location: Central Ohio
Awibrandy,

I feel for you as I went through the same thing with them, including their blocking of my e-mail correspondence with them. My experience is posted here...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Their business practices are beyond description. Best of luck in gaining some satisfaction. Please, please, file a BBB report.

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/

Relative to their guarantee policy of bagging the dead fish, covering with salt and sending back for credit on a subsequent order...yes this is a major PIA. The reality is though, they do clearly state this as their policy on their website. We should expect to have to do nothing less than that to collect on their guarantee. The bigger problem in my case was that I did all that and they still did not honor the guarantee....

Their prices are indeed attractive but, in the long run, it's just not worth it IMO. There are plenty of reputable RC sponsors that provide great livestock at reasonable prices.
__________________
If God had intended us to talk more than listen, he would have given us two mouths and one ear - Mark Twain

Last edited by Norm R; 04/11/2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:40 AM
rdnyva rdnyva is offline
Registered Member

Location: Ocala, Florida
I've had a similar experience with them this week. I ordered a Powder Blue Tang, Red Scooter Blenny and a Citron Goby. PBT, was 3 inches but was paper thin and really skinny, scooter blenny was ok but goby was small (1/2 inch). I acclimated accordingly for 4 hours. The tang started to eat but very sparingly. On the 3rd day the tang and blenny were found dead, and I have not seen the goby since I put him in. I was able to retrieve the dead bodies of the tang and blennie. I emailed swf and did get a return email stating they were sorry and to return the fish as per their website, which I did. That was Monday, 2 days ago and have not heard anything since. I'll keep you posted.
__________________
180G Reef
150# LR
2 inch sand bed
EuroReef Skimmer
2 Tunze 6100 Streams on 7095 MultiController
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 04/11/2007, 02:31 PM
tobasdad tobasdad is offline
RC Sponsor

Location: New Rochelle, NY
Awilda,

Sorry to hear about that. We've all been there before. Sometimes, the cheapest place isn't really the cheapest place.
I've never heard of a business that blocks emails from complaining customers. That's abhorant.

Best of luck.

Michael
__________________
Visit us on the web: www.nyaquatic.com
Old 04/11/2007, 06:24 PM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Thank you all for your response. I have tried to find the pbt, and still no luck. I have many caves in my tank for it to get into.
I had the same thing as rdnyva, not only was mine smaller then yours but paper thin a little beat up. He started eating right away thou, and was begining to gain weight which is why I was so surprised that it got ich, and died so quickly.

By the way I didn't purchase online for the reduced price as I would pay that price at my lfs for a pbt. $49.99 FOR 1.5" fish nope, I would have gotten a larger fish for that price at my lfs.
I purchased online because they claim to QT their fish. And I was being lazy, and didn't want to set up a qt. Well not exactly being lazy, I so happen to be a cancer survivor, but I haven't gotten all of my energy back yet. So I was looking for an easy way out. Guess there are none.
Old 04/12/2007, 07:27 AM
rdnyva rdnyva is offline
Registered Member

Location: Ocala, Florida
Yea, AWI, same thing here. Although paper thin and some slightly torn fins I figured as long as the fish ate I was good to go. Mine had no signs of ich. One minute he was swimming around and seemed fine, next I looked in the tank and he was on his side, dead within an hour. BTW I'm a transplanted NYer, city boy.

PS - Still haven't heard a word (since Monday) from swf.com
__________________
Old 04/12/2007, 07:48 AM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Quote:
Yea, AWI, same thing here. Although paper thin and some slightly torn fins I figured as long as the fish ate I was good to go. Mine had no signs of ich. One minute he was swimming around and seemed fine, next I looked in the tank and he was on his side, dead within an hour. BTW I'm a transplanted NYer, city boy.

PS - Still haven't heard a word (since Monday) from swf.com
I haven't either. I even left them bad feed back on their own site, and still nothing.
Not that it matters, since I can't find the little bugger. To many hiding places in my tank. I should have taken it out when I noticed it staying in the top corner not swimming as normal.

Oh well, you live and learn. Best of wishes.
Old 04/12/2007, 11:56 AM
Norm R Norm R is offline
I have wet shirt sleeves

Location: Central Ohio
swf.com continues to maintain a "satisfactory" BBB rating. They also maintain a "BBB online reliability" seal. This is a farce. Here is their BBB listing.

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/n...h%2Ecom%2C+LLC

Those of us who have had issues are obviously doing a poor job of reporting them. I include myself in that...I filed a complaint a year ago and never received a response. I did not follow up, shame on me. After seeing this recent spike in complaints, I contacted the BBB again and they have been very receptive and want to understand the issues. You can file a report in as little as 10 minutes. Your claim in itself may not be large enough to justify the time spent on it but just think how many others you may help save from the same fate....not to mention improving things for all of the livestock they send to a premature death.

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/

The "file a complaint" icon is about half way down the page, just above the map.
__________________
If God had intended us to talk more than listen, he would have given us two mouths and one ear - Mark Twain
Old 04/12/2007, 01:47 PM
Growurown Growurown is offline
Registered Member

Wish I had read this post before I ordered, but just cracked open the bag on a dead blonde tang from SWF, second time ordering with them, second time with dead animals
Old 04/12/2007, 04:00 PM
SeaView SeaView is offline
This is not a test

Location: LI/NY
Thanks for the heads up guys. I won't be ordering from them.
Old 04/12/2007, 05:46 PM
alden168 alden168 is offline
Registered Member

Location: Inland Empire
Hey guys;

Sorry to hear about that...i want to alert each and everyone if you lived in california. DO NOT BUY from Atlantic Tropical Aquarium in Artesia, California. After spending 15k with this store. The job is not complete. I may end up taking the owner to court if necessary. If you still want to buy from this store..Make sure DO not give him advance money. He will surely screw you up. Also, watch out for the fish..MASS PRODUCTION of ICH.
Old 04/12/2007, 05:51 PM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Norm, thanks for the link. I just sent the following to the president of SWF. I am interested to see how he responds, if at all. I will keep you all updated.
If I do not hear back from Ryan Roe in a timely manner I will most definitely follow it up with a complaint to the Florida BBB.

I am still hopefull. Not only that this company will at least respond, but that the rest of my fish will survive this. I do feed a variety of foods soaked in Garlic Extract twice daily, and they also get vitamins once daily also soaked into their food. So far they are flashing but no signs on their bodies. Only the tennent actually has the threaded spots.
Old 04/12/2007, 07:36 PM
Norm R Norm R is offline
I have wet shirt sleeves

Location: Central Ohio
Awibrandy, best of luck with it. For your sake, I hope they respond.

I was in no way suggesting anyone skip right to the BBB from the get-go. Working it out w/ the vendor is always 1st choice IMO. My suggestions are more for those of us who have attempted to go down that path with swf...and got no where.
__________________
If God had intended us to talk more than listen, he would have given us two mouths and one ear - Mark Twain
Old 04/13/2007, 05:18 AM
cmb88 cmb88 is offline
Registered Member

Location: northern, CA
hey guys problems all over with them..LAME me too..please go see the other links including..SCAM SITE it is about them and we have posted our experiances and what to do..I did contact the BBB I am in contact with Jill Henderson with the BBB.. Many of us filed complaints this week. You call if you do not reach her..calll again!! (Her words) she is very nice and helpful..DO IT!! I guess RC has also put them on some kind of list..the problems with them is just ridicules..My YW GOBY died as well wouldnt eat..probably poisoned wild caught..
They want me to buy another 80 dollars of live goods to get my credit on that and something else that disenagrated in my tank 6 hrs later and caused a spike..ALMOST killed my whole set up!!!
Go read....I also posted my emails, etc to them!! Good Luck..Keep us posted..If you need numbers etc. lmk..People have emailed me personally for this and i will answer.. I hate businesses whith no dignaty or respect for the animals, corals, or people!! EEEK makes me sooo mad just thinking about it!!
Threads
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1071951
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1085909
__________________
SETTLE DOWN!!!! lmao
Old 04/13/2007, 07:57 AM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Hi guys, it's to bad we have to find out the hard way. There really should be a site where we could go to check up on these online vendors before we make our purchases.

I'll let you all know if Ryan Roe (President of SWF) bothers to respond. I sent him copies of my previous emails as well.
"Dear Mr. Roe;
I am writing to you because I don't know what else to do honestly. Below is a copy of the email I sent to your online business concerning my previous order # 64910, which I have had no response to. Since the two emails the PBT (powder blue tang) has died. And now the Tennent has the ich. Unfortunately for me I was unable to locate the body. You see sir my tank is a 155 Bow Front with approximately 200 pounds of live rock and many corals. It is impossible for me to move all that live rock without disturbing the corals. And even if I did, I doubt that I would have found anything more then a carcass since my tank is teeming with creatures that hunt at night. Which is when the fish died. Now if you read the emails below you will see that I was asking for help before the unfortunate death happened.
Also, I want to let you know that my friends on Reef Central, and Manhattan Reefs are all waiting to hear the out come of how in deed your company treats it's customers. My second email was returned to me by Mailer Demon stating that saltwaterfish.com was not accepting any email from my email address. Perhaps you would like to address this. My online screen name on both RC & MR is "AwiBrandy" you can if you'd like to go and look up my threads. There you will see what I, and others have said concerning your company. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Mrs. Awilda C."

Last edited by Carlos; 04/15/2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04/13/2007, 02:22 PM
cmb88 cmb88 is offline
Registered Member

Location: northern, CA
mmm not a bad idea...can you see the gears in my head working? lol
lets ask reef central if we can have a forum that has known stores.. kinda like rate your teacher.com...u just look up store and get alll the posts!! of course they would need a "we are not responsible for what is said her" disclaimer..but why not?
Maybe a website..mmmm ill look into it
__________________
SETTLE DOWN!!!! lmao
Old 04/14/2007, 06:40 AM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Hi! A friend of mine wrote to swf, and below is their response to his email. I sent them copies of all the emails I have sent to them to the address in there letter, and I still haven't heard back from them. May be I'll here from them by Monday. Will keep you all posted.
Thanks,
Awi

"Awilda,

I just got this reply:

From: <Swfishdotcom@aol.com>
[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]To: <>Subject: saltwaterfish.com

Hi,

Thanks for the email. We have no record of receiving any emails from this customer, and we do not block emails. Please have her send an email to this address.

Thanks,
Customer Service Team
Saltwaterfish.com
www.saltwaterfish.com"
Old 04/16/2007, 04:56 PM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Hey, swf finally answered my emails. Here is there answer. As you can see they are lousy.

In a message dated 4/16/2007 10:35:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Swfishdotcom writes:

Hi,

Thanks for the email. We are very sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, the size of the Powder Blue and Red Sea Sailfin you say you recieved (1.5 inches) is not possible. We don't offer those fish at that size and nor do we bring them in at that size, so we have no idea why you are saying that is the size they were. Also, all of our fish are quarantined and eating prior to shipment and it would not be possible for them to have Ick. If an item does not survive please return it via the guarantee procedure. An item must be returned in order to qualify for the guarantee.

Thanks,
Customer Service Team
Saltwaterfish.com
www.saltwaterfish.com

And here is what I responded to them with. To which they did not respond to.

Good morning; Regarding Order # 64910 I never stated the size of the Red Sea Sailfin as being 1.5", the sailfin in fact is actually about 3". Now the Tennent, and the PBT as I stated were no where near the size of the RSS. Now I didn't actually take a ruler to them, and of course I could be wrong. But both the Tennent which I still have, and the dead PBT were, is smaller then my GS Maroon Clown that I have who is not fully grown.

Interesting that you would call a customer a liar flat out. I never stated that the fish were not eating, just the opposite the PBT ate right up to it's death.

Not possible for them to have ICK, another interesting statement since for the past 6 years I have heard nothing other then the contrary to ICK. I have always understood all fish are carriers of ICK, and it is stress that brings it out on them.

I wasn't disputing your guarantee procedure, as you noticed my letter (if you bothered to read the first one) I asked for help in what to do prior to the PBT's death. Further more, as stated all ready the fish died overnight which made it impossible for me to find in a 155 gallon reef teeming with scavengers.

Not to worry I have no intension of ever ordering from you guys again. Also, as stated in previous emails to you MR & RC members are waiting to hear back.

And yes, I will report this to the Florida BBB.

Thank you so much for finally answering the emails I sent.

Best of luck,
Old 04/16/2007, 09:34 PM
TingTang TingTang is offline
Registered Member

Location: Tucson, AZ
I am very surprised at this thread. I have been doing business with SWF.com for about 8 months now and have absolutely no problems with the livestock I have ordered from them. In fact most items were a bit bigger than expected and all have been healthy.I have ordered in various orders the following items. Various crabs, snails, pink tip anenome, Kole Tang, Coral Beauty, Diamond goby, 6 emerald crabs, 6 scarlet legged crabs, Green Star Polyps, Hawaiian Triggerfish (only had to wait a month fro them to get one in), Hawaiian Fethers dusters, and assorted orders of live goods.
This is the first thread I have ever read that slammed SWF.com but to each his own. I intend to continue to order from them.
Old 04/16/2007, 09:38 PM
TingTang TingTang is offline
Registered Member

Location: Tucson, AZ
Oh, and Awibrandy, I would defineately check the quality of your water. IT should be pristine and PBT's can get ich really easy, that's why I don't have one. You didn't state if you had QT'd the fish when you got them. If not well I would recommend it.
All the fish I had ever bought from SWF.com I QT'd them for about 3 weeks. The worst they ever had was a mild case of lymphocystis which was never only with their livestock. Nothing I ever got from them ever got ich.
If you had received it from anyone it probably would get ich just because of the shipping stress. Of course I would never condon anyone calling someone a liar. I will have to ask around to see if anyone I know has ever had that happen.

Last edited by TingTang; 04/16/2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04/16/2007, 10:37 PM
cmb88 cmb88 is offline
Registered Member

Location: northern, CA
ting tang...there are about 3-4 seperate threads here about saltwater fish .com i suggest you read them....lots of problems lots of experianced people with good water conditions...it is well known around the community that their prices are good, product iffy and all goes well when there r no problems..They do have horrible customer service if there is indeed a problem...we all continued to order until their was a big problem so i think u should continue to order from them..lol come see us when u have a problem..it sucks..hopefully for you there wont be..their livestock (corals) almost crashed my tank!! GO READ THE other posts..its interesting at least..
__________________
SETTLE DOWN!!!! lmao
Old 04/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Temp 78.7
SG 1.024
PH 8.4
Ammo. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phos. .25
Cal. 460
Alk 9kh
Fish eat several times a day a variety of foods such as; formula 1 & 2, Rod's Food, cyclopeeze, mysis, plankton, brine, pellets, veggie supreme flakes, red & green dried seaweed all soaked in garlic extract 2Xdaily, vitamins X 1, and phyto every other day. All corals thriving and growing, and so are the clams which I just stared keeping. The clams attached the same night they went in my tank.
Now how prestine is your water TingTang? May you continue to have tremendous success with swf.
By the way the yellow tang that went in 2 days before which my pt beat the heck out of (now that was stress)is doing great. Has totally healed and thanks to God has not gotten any illnesses. The only sick ones where the tennent and the pbt.
Old 04/17/2007, 06:45 AM
smiller smiller is offline
Garbologist

Location: Ajijic, Mexico
This is a feedback forum, not a discussion forum.
__________________
Steve

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 04/17/2007, 10:31 AM
rdnyva rdnyva is offline
Registered Member

Location: Ocala, Florida
Well whaddaya know? I emailed SWF.com last night telling them I had returned the dead fish over a week ago and had not heard anything from them. Well I got a return email from them this morning with my guarantee code. Now I have to decide if I want to risk ordering from them again, which will cost me another $79 plus $10 box fee and $10 fuel charge. $99 total. So I've got spend 99 bux to get 65 back. I'm inclined to just cut my losses, chalk it up to experience and just move on.
Old 04/17/2007, 10:40 AM
Awibrandy Awibrandy is offline
Registered Member

Location: new york
Quote:
Well whaddaya know? I emailed SWF.com last night telling them I had returned the dead fish over a week ago and had not heard anything from them. Well I got a return email from them this morning with my guarantee code. Now I have to decide if I want to risk ordering from them again, which will cost me another $79 plus $10 box fee and $10 fuel charge. $99 total. So I've got spend 99 bux to get 65 back. I'm inclined to just cut my losses, chalk it up to experience and just move on.
That's good, at least they answered. I won't tell you what to do! Does that $99 include the replacement fish? If so the replacement will only cost you $34. Good luck with what ever you decide.
I looked at it as if I had gone to an lfs that I'd never been to before, and bought a fish. It died, no garantee. Oh, well. You live and learn. End of story.