Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Flame Angel With Cloudy Eye

What is the best thing to be treating with? I've been using Maracyn 2 every other day doing partial water changes every so often to make sure the quality of the water stays at its best.

The eye is only slightly popped out. It used to be worse. But I feel like its not healing quick enough. He also developed a few spots of ick and I quickly treated him for that and it seems to have gone away. But the eye still remains the same. This is a beautiful fish. Help me please!

How long should this take? Also there used to be a tiny bump popped out from the middle of the eye ( it was slightly red in color) This worried me but it has since pretty much disasppeared. I was thinking maybe a parasite in his eye is what caused this? possibly? I don't know.

I just want to help him. I hope he doesn't go blind from this. Otherwise he is healthy and fat and active.
Old 03/30/2007, 12:01 PM
2/08 HB first show

So your saying he has pop eye?

Is it one eye or both eyes?

If its one eye more often then not it caused by trauma. If its both eyes could be dealing with something more like an infection>mabe bacterial.

Good water quality is a must when treating popeye. and Popeye is more of a condition and not a disease.

I also hate to tell you if he has ich and it went away you did not cure him of the parasite, the parasite is more likly continuing the lifecycyle and has fallen off your fish to breed in the tank.

Popeye will go away at differnt lenghts of time depending on what type it is.

Ich will be a longer treatment. 6 weeks at least of Hypo if you choose that followed by 6-8 weeks of QT of the Flame to make sure hes healthy.

Are you treating this fish in your main tank?

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 03/30/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

okay this is important for you to know.

I work at a petstore. He got sick there...and I brought him home to a quarantine tank. So he was cleared of ick there as far as it being on his body and being visible. So now he is in an entirely new tank.

The quarantine is 10 gallons, aerated and filter running with no carbon. I didnt include any substate I thought this would help ( keep it from scratching) and easier to keep clean.

It is Only one eye! (Thank god) And I think I will continue to treat with Maracyn 2 until it looks better. I still want to treat for ick but at this point I don't know if its necessary. I have coppersafe but if I use that then when I do small water changes I would be removing it. And this stuff is supposed to stay in the water for 30 days. I dont want to have to keep removing water and then adding in medication ( I might then add too much) I'm trying to be on the safe side.

If he's fat and swimming normal... is Maracyn 2 the best thing to be using? I plan on doing the water changes to keep up with pristine water. Right now the only thing thats higher is Nitrate. I think its at 10. Should I get this to zero or should it be okay. Everything else is fine.
Old 03/31/2007, 09:49 AM
2/08 HB first show

oh that is good he was not in your main tank..

you can contiune with the Maracyn-2 but with one eye, more likly its caused by trauma, maybe an abraison or a fight with another fish.

Good water quality and a good diet (just for general health) will aid in relieving the condidtion.

In my big FOWLER My nitrates are about 10 which I am not concerned with but since your fish has popeye a condition, that can be affected by water quality I would do your best to have the best conditions possible..

In time with the good water quality his eye should be on the mend.

Good luck.

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 04/01/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Nets cause a lot of eye traumas.

Terry B

A large water change can cover a multitude of sins against your aquarium.
Old 04/01/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

How do I keep nitrates low in a hospital tank? I used water from my main system... but its not like its rigger with a good biological filtration or anything. If I do water changes everyday aren't I removing all the meds? Theres gotta be an easier way to keep water quality up.

PS: The ick came back so I ended up adding th copper safe.. he looks better today though all white dots gone but I'm going to continue to keep him in that solution so it goes away permanently.

Yeah his eye seems at a stand still at the moment. No better no worse.

All the positive advice helps.... f you have any more please let me know. These messages are the only things giving me hope!
Old 04/01/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I doubt the Coppersafe will help and angels are very sensitive to copper. I would use hyposalinity. If the eye is not cloudy then the swelling usually subsides in a few days if it was caused by trauma. I keep a cycled Qtank and you don't have to worry about meds for ich if you use hypo. Check the salinity daily with an accurrate refractometer and watch the pH CLOSELY. If you feel that you must use copper then make it Cupramine and check the level twice a day.

Terry B

Old 04/02/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

okay I'm gonna nix the coppersafe and just use hypo.

The eye is still very cloudy... sometimes when he turns the right way I can see a small piece of the what looks like a covering over the eye flapping off. I thought this was him "getting better". But the cloudyness still remains. Its not so much popped ou its this cloudy coating that won't go away
Old 04/02/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

There may be some damage to the eye or it could be an eye fluke. The hypo may take care of it if it is an eye fluke. You might want to use some Maracyn-Two for at least 7 days if the cloudy eye is getting worse.

Terry B

Old 04/03/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Okay so yeah I tested ammonia yesterday and it was .50 I dont know how it got that high in a matter of 3-4 days bc I'm using water straight from my display tank ( tested that water and it was 0) needless to say I changed all the water in his tank. So its back to 0 ammonia and I'm observing him closely. I hope it was just the coppersafe that made the water degrade so fast and nothing else. Because I think I'm gonna die if I have to keep changing that much water every few days.

Meanwhile my main tank is looking better than ever because its getting all these little water changes.

I'm not familar with eye flukes so I'm gonna go look that up
But if there is permanent damage to the eye will it stay cloudy like that and still be okay?

I am slowly bringing the salinity down as not to stress him.. could I do this quicker?

Should I continue to add maracyn 2 everyday? the instractions say the 1st 3rd and 5th day. I was wondering if it would be okay to do it everyday for 7 days. I assume it would be okay if the water quality doesnt degrade.

Speaking of which I'm going to go test ammonia now since I added maracyn 2 this morning ( to the fresh water) and see if it still reads the same as last night.
Old 04/04/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I've had 2 fish with cloudy eye(1eye) went away in about 2 to 3 days, both times.
Old 04/04/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

yeah mines not going away that fast. The fish is eating, and swimming happy. Its just this eye. Its hard to know how much medicine is in there when I keep having to do water changes. SO I just keep adding more medicine after I change the water.

Any more advice?
Old 04/05/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

OKay so now I have decided that instead of treating the hospital tank I'm just going to remove the fish for temporary baths. This is to see if not adding the meds to the tank will keep the ammonia from getting to high in just a days time.

Is it possible that there's another better medicine that I should be using? I am not seeing improvements with maracyn2 but then again I dont think I've been able to endure a full 7 day treatment without changing out water and removing medicine.

Today the ammonia was .5 ( keep in mind I did a large change yesterday) so I removed the fish and treated him with coppersafe in a bucket while re preparing the hospital tank completely ( this will be the 3rd time now)

So now the ammonia is 0 the ph is stable and he's happy and swimming in the brand new water ( partially new mixed saltwater/some from my main tank)

It isn't just a cloudy haze over the eye. The entire eye seems to be encapsuled by a cloudy white "cap" ( I wouldn't call it quite a bubble bc it doesn't stick out that much) But it is bigger than the other eye.

I also noticed some faded coloration under his mouth. (looks slightly whitish) And his tail fin has a cloudy spotch area instead of being the normal translucent where its very clear to see through.
The purple area of his fins are frayed.

Can someone offer more help?
Old 04/06/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Now he seems to be loosing color on the underside of his face and on his lips. The orange looks faded. : (
Old 04/07/2007, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Maracyn-Two should be used at double strength in saltwater. The fish need to be in the Qtank with the antibiotic for a least 7 days. That is another good reason to keep a cycled Qtank running at all times. The most effective way to use M-2 is at double strength while making a water change each day before adding the next dose. Doesn't hurt to use a lower salinity to.

Don't use copper on a fish with a bacterial infection unless you absolutely have to. Copper suppresses immune function so it can make a bacterial infection worse. Why are you using Coppersafe anyway? Its not good for much, hypo works great for ich and Cupramine is a much better copper if you insist on using copper.
Terry B