Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Marine snow????

Anyone use the two little fishes marine snow? If so, likes and dislikes.
I am currently using DT's, and have some oyster eggs on the way. I also use reef solutuions daily.

I am trying to give some variety to the corals.

Corals I have: monti caps, digitata's, blue and pink milli's, a green slimer, crosea clam 3", and various LPS.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fuzz

Fuzz
Old 03/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I asked about this awhile ago, and was told by many people that it is mostly water. Most people suggested other products.
Old 03/28/2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Fish Poooooooo.... I run BB, aggressive skimming, and feed regularly to a nice community of fish and inverts. I also run w/ extended remote dsb fuge/ opposite light cycle to maintain ph. I use 2 part by Oceans Blend. I have completely stopped all phyto/ coral feeding food, only fish feedings. I use the natural method of nutrients in the system to feed... Does nice for me, JME......
Old 03/29/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I appreciate the responses.

Pyle, I was asking about the marine snow. If it weren't for petoonia, I wouldn't have had my question answered. When someone posts a question it would be nice to answer regarding that particular question, not you experiences without using the actual product in question. Thanks though.

Fuzz

Fuzz
Old 03/29/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

I use Marine Snow. I like it a lot and it seems my corals do too.
I used to use DT phytoplanton but it was causing a cyano problem. A fellow reefer told me to try it. After about a week of using it the cyano started to go away, my zoos and xenia started to spread, and my pods exploded. Coincidence, I don't know but I like to think it's the Marine Snow. The Marine Snow only needs refrigeration after it's open so no fear of it going bad during transport. And the added benefit is it doesn't smell.
Old 03/29/2007, 09:29 PM
Keeper of water boxes.

I read the same about the snow. Worthless. Or so most say.

Another thing you can do is buy a fresh seafood sald mix at the supermarket. Pop it in a blender and turn it into mush.
Parcel it out into freezer bags.
Break off a tiny piece, thaw in a coffee filter to remove the juice.
Mix with a bit of tank water and turkeybaste it with the filters off.
Old 03/29/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

I think plyle was trying to answer the question, it just took a bit of thought to figure it out.
Old 03/29/2007, 09:59 PM
Moved On

used it for a while but i like frozen cylopeeze better my corals love it especially my sun coral
Old 03/30/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I just saw the marine snow as an added variety to feed the corals. I have had pretty descent luck with the DT's.

As far as the suncoral, I use frozen cubes of either mysis, or plankton and they eat it up.

Fuzz

Fuzz
Old 03/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzz1974
Thanks I appreciate the responses.

Pyle, I was asking about the marine snow. If it weren't for petoonia, I wouldn't have had my question answered. When someone posts a question it would be nice to answer regarding that particular question, not you experiences without using the actual product in question. Thanks though.

Fuzz
Fuzz,
I have used this product, and sorry for failing to mention. I guess I was sharing my experiences, and for that, I apologize.... Marine Snow, DT's Phyto, etc. is not the best source of food for the corals you are ultimately trying to keep. Yes, I did give extra thought, (a few beers deep at the time), so perhaps I was a bit off course.... "Any help would be appreciated" I think that is what you said, giving you an alternative method of keeping the corals you mentioned you were keeping in your tank. Good luck anyway bro!!!
Old 03/30/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

i also had a cyano outbreak when using DT'S. i use marine snow and also feed a blended seafood mix to the fish and sofar everything is happy and growing like weeds.