Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

My custom stand is done!

I can't tell you how excited I am to be done with this custom stand. I purchased a 58 gallonRR tank and wanted the stand. Well the stand was $300 and I wasn't to thrilled with that price and the design wasn't anything special.
So I went out, bought some oak, fired up my saws and routers and went to work. What I ended up with is a beautiful piece of art that matches the decor in the room and surrounding rooms at a cost less than what I could have bought a generic stand for.
Hope you like it, drum roll please:

Tada!

My website link

The hardest part was picking out the pattern and color of glass to use for the doors and then deciding on what element to incorporate in the glass to make a statement. The only problem I am having now is what to do for knobs - I am thinking seahorses.
Old 03/28/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Wow, great job.
I'm in the process of building a custom stand myself. Coincidentally, my wife came up with an idea for glass doors also (after watching some show on HGTV!). I thought it would be a great idea especially since the 'fuge light would illuminate the glass from the inside. We'll come up with some sort of decorative pattern like you did.

One question - Do you have a center brace between (behind) the two doors or is it completely open?
Old 03/28/2007, 10:36 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

very nice man!
Old 03/28/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

That thing is very nice!
Old 03/28/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

It is completely open so I can get a sump in and out. I do have a center brace on the backside. For the front I just did a double header. I'm not worried, the oak is pretty strong and the internal frame is strong and square too.
Thanks.
Old 03/28/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Terrific craftsmanship - very impressive - post pics as the system gets up and running

Problem is that the stand is so pretty, your reef display will have to compete... ;-)
Old 03/28/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Sweet! I like the design a lot. Protect it though . . . lots, and lots of poly or spar varnish on ALL surfaces! Keep that water out!
Old 03/28/2007, 12:26 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

what ^ jelly man said
Old 03/28/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Very nice!
Old 03/28/2007, 02:49 PM
Enjoying Life

Wow....are you a carpenter? What was your supply list?
Old 03/28/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Ha far from a carpenter but I believe I can do whatever I want if I really think about it, plus I inherited the tools. For a supply list I don't really know. I just went to HD, bought a bunch of oak wood in 12' lengths and cut it all down to fit. I used 3 different router bits and afterward I found similar trim at Lowes, matter of fact if you are going to do anything I'd get the wood from Lowes, better selection than HD at least the one I went too.

Pitstop I didn't think about that, I'm going to have to get out my hammer.

I'm not sure about the seashell in the doors. One person said that they thought they were too distracting, but I think once the tank is on the stand and up and running, they will be the last thing anyone notices
Old 03/28/2007, 05:11 PM
CT Area Reef Society

very nice job!
Old 03/28/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

That is an awesome stand! Very nice work!
Old 03/28/2007, 07:17 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Quote:
Originally posted by ctreefer
Very nice!
Ditto, nice job!
Old 03/28/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

General Lee,

At the first CTARS meeting(pnstods house??) that I went to you gave me some frags a frogspawn and some zoo's. When I asked how much you wanted you simply replied enjoy. I still have the frogspawn and have branched out into many other corals. Very simply you made my introduction to the club and corals wonderfull. I would like to reciprocate and offer some frags of what I have for your new tank. Let me know, and thanks again.

Chris
Old 03/28/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

very original I cant get over those doors , nice job .
Old 03/29/2007, 06:40 AM
Moved In

Looks professional
Old 03/29/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

now THAT is a look you dont see often, looks great!
Old 03/29/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

I just forwarded the pics of your gorgeous stand to my husband - he knows that he's on-call to make my next stand and this is a great place to start. Just beautiful.
Old 03/29/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cabenin
General Lee,

At the first CTARS meeting(pnstods house??) that I went to you gave me some frags a frogspawn and some zoo's. When I asked how much you wanted you simply replied enjoy. I still have the frogspawn and have branched out into many other corals. Very simply you made my introduction to the club and corals wonderfull. I would like to reciprocate and offer some frags of what I have for your new tank. Let me know, and thanks again.

Chris
Chris I can't believe you remembered. I have long forgotten who I gave what to. You say that you still have that frogspawn? Unbelievable. That was my best coral, my clowns loved it!
Once I get my tank up and stabilized I'll be in touch. I'm glad to see that you're still in the hobby and with the club.

Here's a pic of that colony when it was closed up:

Old 03/29/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Koodos pn that stand. Beautiful job.
Old 03/29/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

"Chris I can't believe you remembered. I have long forgotten who I gave what to. You say that you still have that frogspawn? Unbelievable. That was my best coral, my clowns loved it!
Once I get my tank up and stabilized I'll be in touch. I'm glad to see that you're still in the hobby and with the club.

Here's a pic of that colony when it was closed up:"

General Lee, this is funny, because I was there as well and remember running into you and you mentioned that you were pretty sure you had me written down for a frogspawn frag, but I said it must have been somebody else. That's a nice colony. I should have said yes.
Old 03/29/2007, 03:42 PM
Help im addicted

nice work, high end stuff! Looks great.
Old 03/30/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Well I got the courage up and added the expenses. To get the stand done including the cost of glass for the doors and the cost of all my plumbing (gate valves, 3/4 & 1" pvc, fittings, etc..) I spent $277.87. Not bad considering the alternative of $300 or so just for a stand.
If anyone is really interested in the glass doors I could make a set of the glass inserts with your choice of glass color, texture, etc... Talk to me at the next meeting.
If you want a panel or scene it will be a different story $$$$
Eventually when I have time in the summer I will make a scene with ideas from this (less the turtle):
Old 03/31/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Very nice generalee! Love the glass doors also. Is that actual stained glass or is it painted glass very nice either way.

~Dee~