Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/26/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

couple questions

Hey guys I have a couple questions to ask you guys/girls that I hope you can help me on.

First I would like to know http://www.americandj.com/product.as...rD_Controllers
are those good to get for your fish tank? I see ppl use them and I don't know if its a smart thing or not. Also if you hook up lights wouldn't that not work cause you turn switches on for it to work?

Another question, what type of filter would you recommend for a 37g that is going to have coral and fish. I would like the quietest one. So far I'm thinking canister.

Also same with 40g I had a thread before and alot of people said canister and all. But is a sump loud? I just bought filter socks and other parts and I hate to see them go to waste if I can do something that is quiet and good. I had wet/dry and it was to loud and the hofer gurgle buster didnt work.

Thanks for reading
Old 03/26/2007, 04:26 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

I would suggest only using a skimmer if you have liverock in your tank. No other filters necessary.
Old 03/26/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

anyone else
Old 03/26/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

no filter....unless you just want to run carbon in it or something. Assuming you have enough live rock that is. The controllers are very handy to have....make things nice and neat and easy on and off.
-cleaner shrimp

Opinions are like nipples on a man.....
Old 03/26/2007, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

The controller is fine as long as you have it plugged in to a GFCI protected outlet.
Old 03/26/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Well I kinda wanted to run a mechanical filter. I just didn't know what to do.
Old 03/26/2007, 09:17 PM
reef obsessed

Re: couple questions

Quote:
Originally posted by EWC88
Hey guys I have a couple questions to ask you guys/girls that I hope you can help me on.

First I would like to know http://www.americandj.com/product.as...rD_Controllers
are those good to get for your fish tank? I see ppl use them and I don't know if its a smart thing or not. Also if you hook up lights wouldn't that not work cause you turn switches on for it to work?

Another question, what type of filter would you recommend for a 37g that is going to have coral and fish. I would like the quietest one. So far I'm thinking canister.

Also same with 40g I had a thread before and alot of people said canister and all. But is a sump loud? I just bought filter socks and other parts and I hate to see them go to waste if I can do something that is quiet and good. I had wet/dry and it was to loud and the hofer gurgle buster didnt work.

Thanks for reading

The Power Center is really just to eliminate unsightly surge strips. I would use a gfci regardless.

I would highly recommend a good skimmer for your system. You won't need any bio filtration if you have at least 1lb/gallon of live rock. If you do a sump you can put some carbon in there. Really depends on if you are doing a sump and how much you want to spend.

All sumps have a certain level of noise as the water falls into it. There also might be a little pump noise, but a small pump on your system should be fairly quiet.

Old 04/13/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Whats a good protein skimmer to have to run in with my wet/dry filter???