Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Fish Death

Well I recently lost my prize purple firefish. I had him for two years and he was a stud. Pretty big too. Anyhow, he had a bad habit of trying to strike at my other stud, the yellow tang. Well, the tang would catch the firefish with his spines on his tail and leave litte gashes. Never really hurt the firefish and he sure didn't learn his lesson. Three weeks ago my firefish was missing. A few days later he showed up at feeding time with a massive gash in his abdomen area and the whole area was swollen. He was having problems staying in the water column too. Well, over the past few weeks, I'm guessing due to infection, he has slowly deteriorated to a skeleton of himself, and he just died yesterday. I was never one to think I'd get sad over the death of a fish. But I realized now I did get a little attached. Oh well, he had a good run.

Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fish? I have a yellow tang, 4 stripe damsel, blue/yellow tail damsel, clarkii clown, lawnmower blenny, and two chromis. All in a 75 gallon reef. I have a low fish load, and want to keep it that way. I have a few ideas of another fish, but just wanted to hear some of your favorites. He's gotta be able to stick up for himself too. Not a super agressive tank, but there is aggression. Thanks!
Old 03/19/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Why do you feel bad? You left it in there to die. You did nothing to try and help the fish.

Carl
Old 03/19/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlC
Why do you feel bad? You left it in there to die. You did nothing to try and help the fish.

Carl
I find this to be rather harsh and uncalled for. There may have been circumstances preventing the removal of the fish or possibly he just felt there was nothing he could do.
Cold, insensitive(spl) comments such as this should be kept to yourself as it helps no one.

KyleP, sorry to hear you lost your longtime friend.
Old 03/19/2007, 06:38 PM
Keeper of Sharks

that was pretty harsh CarlC and uncalled for, just as a sea k said. either say something nice or nothing at all. sorry to hear about your loss Kyle.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 03/19/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Ok my apologies. I should have said you did a great job in not preventing infection by leaving the fish in the tank. Also a great job since you knew there was aggression from the tang toward the firefish. A small 10 gallon tank would have easily served as a hospital or treatment set up.

But since you thought and it seems others think it is ok to leave an injured fish to try to fend for itself I guess that is the good advice others should follow.

Carl
Old 03/19/2007, 07:41 PM
Guardian of Little People

Carl, no one is questioning the validity of your concern, only your timing. The time for lectures is while a change can be affected. At this point, we should only offer our condolences.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 03/19/2007, 07:51 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

You've got a pretty scrappy mix there. How about a pseudochromis? Dwarf angel? Royal Gramma? Midas blenny (not sure if they mix well with the LMB).

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/19/2007, 09:31 PM
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
You've got a pretty scrappy mix there. How about a pseudochromis? Dwarf angel? Royal Gramma? Midas blenny (not sure if they mix well with the LMB).
I agree, you need something that will put up with the damsels and tang. A dwarf angel is an option as long as you don't have a reef.

And Carl, you comments are completely unessacary.
Old 03/19/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Wow, did not expect that second response. I'll explain a little more. He took a big hit in his side/abdomen, but was still very capable of avoiding me, especially with 90 pounds of rock in there. On top of that he was not eating. There was no real way to catch him. And yes it did cross my mind. Also there was no aggression by the tang to the firefish. Like I stated the firefish was the agressor. He absolutely could not stand the tang and would drill him whenever he got near, but naturally that comes with a price due to the tang's defense mechanism. Anyhow, thanks to everyone else for the backup/advice on new fish. I think I may just go with a royal gramma. He'll be able to hold his own fine. The angel is too risky due to a reef full of softies. Thanks again!
Old 03/19/2007, 09:59 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I've had fish that I've been forced to just sit and watch die because they are sick, not eating (so won't go in the trap) yet plenty agile to avoid the net before it even hits the water. It sucks and makes you feel crappy enough, without being chastised for it.

And no, I'm not going to tear apart my reef to catch a sick fish. That's just where my priorities are. Not everyone will have the same thinking.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/19/2007, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarlC
Ok my apologies. I should have said you did a great job in not preventing infection by leaving the fish in the tank. Also a great job since you knew there was aggression from the tang toward the firefish. A small 10 gallon tank would have easily served as a hospital or treatment set up.

But since you thought and it seems others think it is ok to leave an injured fish to try to fend for itself I guess that is the good advice others should follow.

Carl
Carl, I thought your first post was bad enough, but then you had to follow up with more insults.
You are IMO way out of line and this board would be a much nicer place without your presence.
Old 03/19/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

hahahahaha, wow i must say, even from the view of a 17 year old, carl your a joke. you really think he'd strip down a whole 75g setup to get to a sick firefish...? he just lost a two year old friend and your going to attack him? why dont you try to be a somewhat of an adult, it wont kill you...but if it does i wouldnt go through the trouble of breaking down a 75 to help.
Old 03/20/2007, 12:09 AM

Re: Fish Death

Quote:
Originally posted by KyleP
Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fish? I have a yellow tang, 4 stripe damsel, blue/yellow tail damsel, clarkii clown, lawnmower blenny, and two chromis. All in a 75 gallon reef. I have a low fish load, and want to keep it that way.
I would not add another fish if you want a really low bioload. BTW, Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 03/20/2007, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

First let me say that when I am having a rough night at work I won't post my thoughts!

I just think that if this fish was such a friend or a "stud" as Kyle put it six weeks was a long time to let this fish suffer.

As for adding another fish that can hold it's own and not add a big load to the tank longnose hawks are always nice unless you have small cleaner shrimp.

Carl
Old 03/20/2007, 09:37 AM
Guardian of Little People

Ok, let's ease up on Carl and move on.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant