Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

white ribbon eel

my lfs just got in a white ribbon eel. I am going in today to see if it is eating frozens or not. If not, i won't even consider buying it. If it is though, do you think I could keep it in a sumpless 60gal acrylic tank with a skimmer? It has LR and a 2.5 inch oolitic sand bed. I am a beginner but i do know it needs a tight lid and super water quality.

How easy are these guys to care for? Or am I just wasting my time dreaming of keeping something Ill only be capable of caring for in the future?
Old 03/05/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

From what I have heard, Ribbon eels are notorious for slaowly starving to death. I would definately suggest another type of moray. Snowflake's are easy to find, and my favorite is the Goldentail. Both very easy to keep.
Old 03/05/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I have had one of these, and they are really easy to care for. Unlike other ribbon eels these white ribbon eels are very easy to care for and to feed. I had mine in a reef tank for a few months and before that in a FOWLR for a few months (probably around 4-6 months)... great eel. Mine only attacked my cleaner shrimp once because I hadnt fed him in awhile.
-10g. Reef
Old 03/05/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

White Ribbons are of no relation to the Black/Blue/Green ribbon eel that has the bad rap. And even that with proper husbandry is overcome. Best of luck. You'll still have to feed skinny strips of seafood a couple times a week. Because its so skinny it needs more frequent smaller feedings.
Old 03/06/2007, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

I've never once heard directly from the source that their ribbon eel starved to death. On the other hand, I have heard of many cases of carpet surfing. Both species of ribbons are infamous for squeezing through the tiniest of holes and drying up on the floor. That would be my first concern.

As for eating, try gut loaded ghost shrimp and slowly transition to silversides.