Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Aquacontroller Jr. Vs. Reefkeeper 2

Has anyone had experience with both of these controllers? If so which would you recommend and why? They seem to have very similar features but the Reefkeeper 2 has the nicer screen. Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03/01/2007, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Here is a brief summary of the main competitors in the low-end controller market:

The low end of the controller market is around $300 for a setup (pH probe, temp probe, controller, bank of outlets). The main competitors in the $300 price range are:

1) AC Jr. (Neptune Systems)
2) ReefKeeper2 (Digital Aquatics)
3) Premium Aquatics Lighthouse (Premium Aquatics)

The AC Jr. is the most flexible, expandable, and customizable of the bunch. Here are some of the main points:

AC Jr.
Controls up to 12 channels (8 come with the basic setup)
Complex programming capability (multiple feed timers, multiple conditional statements)
Can connect to your PC so you can view things over the web if you get the serial port option and can be controlled from your pc using the free version of AquaNotes software.
Has a digital input (also if you get the serial port option) that allows you to connect things like a float switch to shut off pumps if the water level in the sump gets too low, or to use it to drive an auto topoff pump.
You can upgrade to a more advanced unit if you ever needed to.

RK2:
Looks cool.
controls 8 channels (max)

Lighthouse:
Plug and play webserver built in. Ethernet built in.
Only controls 4 channels
Will monitor orp in addition to ph

The AC Jr. with serial port, Lighthouse, and RK2 all cost right about the same ($299). I believe they all work pretty well. The AC Jr. has a bit more flexibility and functionality than the others.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Do you think the added features of the AC Jr. outweigh the cool looks of the RK2. I just wonder if they are features I will not be able to use to their fullest.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

I think they far out way the cool looks, but that is my opinion. They allow you much more control over things than you have with the RK2. For example, the RK2 toggles on the heater around a single temp. This can cause the heater to toggle on quite a bit. I have my AC Jr. set to turn on the heaters starting at a set temp, but I keep them on until the temp has gone up by .4 degrees. This keeps them from turning on/off so frequently. Another example is the RK2 displays a lit "dot" if a channel is on, while the AC Jr. displays an icon that you choose. With the AC Jr. it is easy to tell if a pump is on, or which lights, etc, with just a glance at the icons. With the RK2 you have to remember "Channel 1 is where my pump is hooked up" to know if it is on or not. A further example is the ability of the AC Jr. to control 12 channels. I use 10 at present. The RK2 controls 8 max....
Old 03/01/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

depends on the kind of person you are. I personally own the RK, and chose to do so for simplistic reasons. If you're the kind of person that likes to tweak/play with things to maximize their efficiency, people seem to favor the ac jr. But configuring and ease of use of the RK series is extremely dummy proof.

I configured wavemaking, timers, heater/fans in about 20 minutes total.
Old 03/01/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Crumblestop, I was reading on the AC website that the Jr. controls sunset\sunrise and the moon cycle. How does this work in reality? I ask because I definatly would not want my tank going dark at 4:00 pm during winter when it begins to get dark outside. Do you set these cycles? Or do they run off of some internal program. I hope you understand my concern.
Old 03/01/2007, 01:24 PM
reef obsessed

I love my ACJr. Awesome flexibility and price.
Old 03/01/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

A few corrections on what crumbletop said:

(1) About RK2 toggling on the heater around a single temp, the new firmware changed it and added a 2 degree hysteresis. You can't change the amount of this hysteresis, though.

(2) You can add extension sockets to the RK2, so that you can plug in more than 8 pieces of equipment. But I don't know if one can actually control them all through the display unit. --I don't have the extension.

(3) The new firmware upgrade and the soon-to-be released data logging software makes the RK2 PC compatible, but you can only read from it, not control it.

Not trying to start a war. Just wanted to add some information.

In short, the AC Jr. is definitely more flexible than the RK2, but for someone like me who don't really like to program the unit and don't need the moon cycle features, the RK2 is good enough. Also, I'm a kind of highly organized person and want to keep my stuff a little bit tidier, so the RK2's truely remote display unit carries more weight for me.
Old 03/01/2007, 02:22 PM
Mullet Hunter

RK2 here and I am very hapy with it.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Old 03/01/2007, 03:38 PM

I have the full blown AC III Pro with expansion unit and one very strong point in favor of Neptune is customer service. Out of all the companies I deal with, Curt is by far the best when it comes to trouble-shooting and speedy service.
Old 03/01/2007, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

So it looks like you guys like the Jr. but the RK is easier to use.
Old 03/01/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

I just got the Jr. I wanted it to control lights (Blue CFL, 50/50 CFL, and Moon LED), pumps (4x SEIOs) I have a thermostat heater that has worked fine but I put the temp probe in the tank to see if my cheapo thermometer is workin fine.

It took me about 20 min to set up by pushing up/down select with their DC8 option. one day I might hook it up to a computer, but none of mine have a serial port on them anymore.

I figured if I wanted to watch pH and control it later I could by going to a better pump / wavemaker solution instead of two SEIOs on for 12 at the bottom and 2 SEIOs on at the top for 12 hours.

But compared to the money I dumped into manual timers/power strips that kept failing I think it was worth it to me. I do like the icon at a glance way of telling what is on/off.
Old 03/01/2007, 08:28 PM

Yeah, I agree timers do add up and go bad. The nice thing about the ACIII Pro is that I have it hooked up to a wireless bridge into my home network. That way I can check in on the tank from anywhere I have a PC. I know that sounds overkill, but my tank is on the bottom floor and I like to take a quick look especially when I get up in the morning.
Old 03/01/2007, 09:35 PM
Caribe Piranha

I love my RK2. It does the trick for me...
Old 03/02/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Any other thoughts?
Old 03/02/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone know if there is a new model of either of these coming out anytime soon? I would hate to buy either and then have something new come out.
Old 03/03/2007, 12:16 AM

well, that is unavoidable don't you think???
Old 03/03/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Rob...word is YES!! AC jr will be receiving a NEW cool look, and I have seen our local group buy ones..they have a greyish face now with Blue LED lighting. So coolness factor went up on the ACjr.

On top of that, AC jr is made by Neptune Sys who have a much better line of products than what was formerly knows as Digital Aquatics, who were recently bought over. Neptune's customer service blows away that of the other company, and I mean BLOWS AWAY!!!!

AND, with Neptune you have the option of upgrading to the nicer ACIII or ACIII pro controller down the road, you dont have that option with RK2.

Bottom line, looks should not play a factor in choosing a controller, functionality and reliability and customer service should.
Old 03/03/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Is it a 'looks upgrade' or are there new features in the newer ones?
Old 03/03/2007, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

When will these new Jr.'s be out? Where can I see a pic, and are there any added features?
Old 03/03/2007, 10:44 PM
Why? Because I can

none of the controllers to my knowledge are compatible with mac computers!!!! I use the reef keeper because all the bells and whistles are just that and until I can actually control things with my mac I will stay with the simplicity of the reef keeper
Old 03/04/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob020880
Crumblestop, I was reading on the AC website that the Jr. controls sunset\sunrise and the moon cycle. How does this work in reality? I ask because I definatly would not want my tank going dark at 4:00 pm during winter when it begins to get dark outside. Do you set these cycles? Or do they run off of some internal program. I hope you understand my concern.
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

The sunrise/sunset can be set up in multiple ways. It comes default setup for 15 degrees north latitude (I think -- tropical region). I have mine set up to turn on around 11am and off around 9pm. You can control it to turn on however you like.
Old 03/04/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Lake75
A few corrections on what crumbletop said:

(1) About RK2 toggling on the heater around a single temp, the new firmware changed it and added a 2 degree hysteresis. You can't change the amount of this hysteresis, though.

Sounds good. A guy was having an awful time with that a few weeks ago. Glad to see they added a feature to fix it. Hope you mean .2 degrees, though -- because a 2 degree swing before turning on/off the heaters would not be good IMO. With the AC Jr. the hysteresis is user configurable.

(2) You can add extension sockets to the RK2, so that you can plug in more than 8 pieces of equipment. But I don't know if one can actually control them all through the display unit. --I don't have the extension.

The expansion sockets are the same for the AC Jr. At any rate, they don't add controllable channels -- they take away one on the main unit, and give you two that are both switched on/off together. You can do the same with the AC Jr. It still boils down to 8 max controllable by the RK2, and 12 by the AC Jr.

Last edited by crumbletop; 03/04/2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03/04/2007, 12:53 AM

I have mine set for the Marshall Islands.