Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Transferring from 75 to a 210...

I have had my new 210 up and running for about a week. It has 75lbs of new live rock an a 3 inch sand bed. Do I need to let it cycle or can I just start transferring things from my 75? I will be moving about 120lbs of estabished live rock (about a year.) 1 naso tang, niger trigger, blue chin trigger, green chromis, mated yellow strip maroons, 150 snails, 150 crabs, peppermint shrimp and some coral.

Does it the new tank need to cycle first??

If anything absolutely can NOT go wrong, it will anyway.
Old 02/28/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

You're going to need some type of biofilter to establish itself in the extra 150 gallons of water/biofilter. I'd let it cycle at least 30 days with what you have, and then move about half the rock over and see what happens to your bioload before dumping everything in.

My $0.02
Old 02/28/2007, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Thats what I was planning on doing, but I read all these post about people upgrading and they dont seem to cycle their tanks. I was just thinking that the bioload would be the same as in my 75 and that the live rock in there would support the bioload in the new tank.....could be way of here....

If anything absolutely can NOT go wrong, it will anyway.
Old 02/28/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

i did the exact same thing but with more life rock in each tank. i started with a 75 had it for a year, about 120 pounds of lr put it in a 210 with about 200 pounds of LR. It was sort of put on by an emergency but nothing was acclimated just dumped in and no death what so ever