Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Question Simulated Mangrove " Aerial Roots"

Does anyone know of a (retail) source for (dead/dried/preserved) Mangrove "roots"? Is it even legal to collect/sell them? I suspect that it may not be, beacuse of their value to the environment.

That being said, what would be a good artifical or natural simulation of these roots?

I am well into the planning of an idea to simulate the shores of a mangrove-choked Seagrass area in the new version of my Seagrass aquarium, and would like to incorporate some type of "Mangrove" roots within the display, projecting downward into the water column from the surface.

I have been entertaining lots of ideas, such as driftwood or African "Mopani Wood" pieces, or even melted PVC pipe sections (sort of like PaulB's simulated "Tonga Branch" rock). I'd love to incorporate the real thing, but since my aquarium will not be open topped, this wont work...

I'd love to see/hear of any ideas anyone has tried along these lines.

Thanks for any feedback!

Scott
Old 02/23/2007, 11:08 PM
Here's lookin at you

I dont see why you couldnt go ino the woods and collect some hardwood branches, strip the bark, and put them into your tank.

Another option might be to scour the craft stores for something useful.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 02/23/2007, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, David...

I figured that lighter-colored driftwood might work. I suppose I'll have to break open some freshwater books on how to cure this stuff again- it's been awhile since I've done that! I don't want to make "blackwater" in a Seagrass tank!

I was actually thinking of some form of synthetic resin or something, but I can't seem to bring myself to use completely artificial stuff...not sure why-just a hangup of mine, I guess!

Scott
Old 02/23/2007, 11:19 PM
Here's lookin at you

I'm sure you could find some fake plastic plants or trees. Just strip off the fake leaves and turn them upside down.

Old 02/23/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Funny you should mention that, I stumbled on some rather realistic ones on line a little while back; they might be passable!

Thanks again!

Scott
Old 02/24/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

There is a realistic looking resin mangrove root made by Algarde in the UK. I'm sure I have seen them for sale in the US. http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/aquariu...decoration.htm
Old 02/24/2007, 11:50 AM
Here's lookin at you

For the heck of it I tried a google search, got alot of hits. Its weird thet most seem to be in the UK, or Europe.

Old 02/24/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

jmanrow:

Thanks much- very interesting!

Scott
Old 02/24/2007, 06:45 PM
Sea cowgirl

These are great ideas guys! There was a company that did biological models of SAV for public aquariums, but I they do not seem to be in buisness any longer. Perhaps the major aquariums do their own fabrication in house - I'm not sure. But.. we should be able to come up with something.

I'd also like to have a synthetic way to do prop roots so that I dont worry about tannin leaching, wood rot, or other problems.
Old 02/24/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Sarah- I remember that company...they also did some sort of backgrounds for aquariums as well.

By any chance, do you (or anyone else) have a good underwater photo of the shoreline of a natural mangrove thicket?

I'm wondering if what you see is just a tangle of aerial roots, or actually some rock along the shore?

You ever get that crazy feeling that you just HAVE to try one of your wacky schemes? Well, that's where I am now! Just trying to figure out the best way to pull this off...

I've also perused the Aquatic Gardner's Association website for their planted tank competition photos and got some neat inspiration from the palladurium entries...

Thanks again, everyone!

Scott
Old 02/25/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

I bet you could fashion something nice with the reef ceramic matarial, it starts aand works like a clay, then you fir in a kiln.
It would be good for your tank, but would eventually grown corralline and others to make it look more like rock....might be nice tho.
Let me know I could try to faire a sample for ya, shipping might be tough tho.
Old 02/25/2007, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Krypticol!

Very interesting...Is fired clay pretty strong when it's shaped into a long, kind of wirely shape?

Scot
Old 02/25/2007, 12:49 PM
Friend to Vallonia

I know some of the freshwater people use manzanita wood, but I'm not sure if it would be a problem in a saltwater tank. It has a more rooty look, but even if it is suitable, I'm not sure if the look is the one you want.
Old 02/25/2007, 02:00 PM
Sea cowgirl

I dont think manzanita would be a good option - it leaches pretty heavily IME.

I'm interested by the clay as well. Perhaps it would be possible to color it and seal it to both keep the color in and attempt to make the surface less attractive to sessile inverts. Hmmm.

Its illegal to harvest mangrove shoots with roots and to cut mangrove branches, but I haven't found anything on collecting dead and downed mangrove wood. Not that theres a lot of that actually.

>Sarah
Old 02/25/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Lotus:

I think the look is pretty close to what I want, but I was concerned, as Sarah points out, about the leaching issues. Now I know that FW people have been using "cured" woods for decades; I'm wondering if these still will leach into SW systems. I used a lot of driftwood in my FW days, but never really was concerned about the leaching. Of course, in SW, it's a different ballgame! Nonetheless, the natural roots certainly would look nice.

Sarah, I imagine dead mangrove would have the same problem, yes? Or could one "cure" it like they do in FW?

I think that the ceramic or resin simulations may be the way to go, if leaching issues are a problem with natural woods.

Scott
Old 02/26/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

If made, cured and fired well it is pretty strong, although, thin, wavy, random roots structures probably aren't exactly tough.
I think they would stand well enough on their own, but an errant net, or rock or similar would surely break it. They certainly wouldn't support much weight from above.
I make pieces like caves, and etc that are pretty sturdy, but the root structure is a different story!
On a side note: if you have a piece in mind I could make it up for ya, my kiln is small tho, so it would have to be less then 1cubic foot.
Happy Reefing!
Old 02/26/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Krypticol:

Thanks so much for the feedback and generous offer!

I believe that the pieces I am looking for would have a minimum length requirement of 15" or so, better yet, 20", so it sounds like it may not be possible to produce these sizes in your kiln, right?

Still, I'll bet that the ceramic pieces a re a viable option when shorter lenghts are required.

On a side note, I did contact Fish and Fins in the UK. and they do have several simulated Mangorve roots available. Shipping is a bit pricey, though. Interestingly, the pieces that they offer are about 16" high. This may mean a pretty deep substrate for my tank (22" high), if they are to reach to substrate. Of course, I can suspend them somehow from above or slope the substrate to accomodate this...

My understanding is that the aerial roots in nature tend to seek out deep substrate, correct?

Scott
Old 02/27/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

yes I am unfortunately limited by the size of my kiln at this time.
I didn't realize how big a tank you were talking about.
I may make something similar for the 28 bowfront I'm building, I'll drop you a pic and an update when I get it out of the kiln and in the tank.
Be sure to get us a pic if you find something that works for ya!
Have a great reef!
Old 02/27/2007, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, much!

I think everyone here would love to see what you can fabricate!

Scott