Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Question ghost pipefish and pipehorses

Has anybody ever kept a ghost pipefish or know where to get one? I found a website that sells them, but I don't if it is too good to be true.http://www.thefishdepot.com/index.html Also has anyone kept or seen a pipehorse for sale? thanks,

http://gallery.seahorse.org/main.php...g2_itemId=1237
angelsmcgee
Old 02/20/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Many sites say they have ghost pipefish but never get them in stock. There was a guy on here a few months ago that got in, but I havent heard from him since. As for pipehorses I've done a little research and have looked for them but never found them for sale. I would try contacting Floridapets.com and see if they can specialy catch one for you.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

IME, most "ghost" pipefish end up being dragonface pipefish.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

I find it disconcerting that this website is completely out of stock, and they claim to sell seadragons. This makes my heart sad. i would def. do a thorough search of this site and others to check out their feedback. I have heard good things about florida collector being able to get ghosts and other rarities, but personally I only support captive breeding programs.

Good luck
Old 02/21/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Personally I would not even consider ordering from the place you linked to.

Several things concerned me, including the fact they have not identified some species correctly. One example is H zosterae(dwarf). The pic they have posted on their site is in fact H bargibanti.
Old 02/21/2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

They have Clarion angels listed too....just for fun someone should call and ask what the wait times on Clarions and Seadragons are. They don't even have blue damsels in stock for heaven's sake
Old 02/21/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I looked in the seahorse section and this looks like the work of a kid. The pictures look like ones I have seen on other sites and he has nothing in stock. Caveat Emptor!

Bruce
Old 02/23/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

The dwarfs on that site mis-labeled