Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Disturbing Video

http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

WARNING: NOT for the faint of heart. If you cannot tolerate the sight of blood do NOT watch.

I am posting this to make people aware of some "harvesting practices" going on in other parts of the world right now.
Old 02/15/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

That is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. The dolphins deserve so much better. I mean really, what makes people think that they can just catch dolphins, saw them in half, and tow them by cars on concrete?
Old 02/17/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 02/17/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I can understand killing fish that are plentiful, for food or what have you, but humanely (quick and without suffering).

What these people did was just cruel and uncalled for. They should all be prosecuted for that.
Old 02/17/2007, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

GEEEZ! Couldn't finish it. Man...
Old 02/18/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

That really is horrible.
Old 02/18/2007, 12:37 AM
It Aint Easy

That is discusting. I also could not finish it. Very Sad.
Old 02/18/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

what the @#$# is wrong with those people dont they know what there doing to the oceans,not only there ocean but there future generations as well,disgusting.
Old 02/18/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Yep, I couldn't finish watching it either. Last week I gave a lecture on ethics in aquariums to a graduate student class. In it I discussed the idea of Aristotle's "Scala Naturae" - or the ranking of all nature, top down. Every individual draws a line in the sand on the consumptive use of wildlife. I bet most people could not watch all of this video, but a high percentage of the same group would go out of their way to step on a cockroach. The Japanese people in this video draw their line at a much different place than most westerners. Where is YOUR line drawn, and is it defensible?

30% of the world's fisheries are already "commercially extinct", with the balance predicted to be by 2048 (Science magazine). Is it still o.k., then, for you to eat trawl-caught shrimp? Lots of fish die on the deck of boats just to get that shrimp. A "smiling" dolphin just has a higher position on most people's "scale of nature" than a shark or stingray does.

Jay
Old 02/18/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

i couldn't finish watching it either but would like to know what I can do to be sure this stops.....
Old 02/19/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

That makes me absolutely sick. These people have no shame. They don't care. The japanese fisherman have no mercy. What can we do to educate those people? I remember some years ago there was a video going around about the slaughter of the dolphins. If I remember right they were fishing for tuna and a bunch of Dolphin were entangled in the nets. Some drowned and most of them were killed when caught in the net. That video made some waves. This video is much worse and I am sure that would not even make it on the TV. Way to graphic.
Old 02/23/2007, 12:30 AM
New Title

I actually did watch the whole thing, and I'm extremely shocked. I didn't have any idea this was even going on.

That's just ridiculous.

SereneReef
Old 02/23/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal

30% of the world's fisheries are already "commercially extinct", with the balance predicted to be by 2048 (Science magazine). Is it still o.k., then, for you to eat trawl-caught shrimp? Lots of fish die on the deck of boats just to get that shrimp. A "smiling" dolphin just has a higher position on most people's "scale of nature" than a shark or stingray does.

Jay
The amount of by-catch in shrimp trawls is amazing. They just shovel all that stuff right back over board That's not mentioning what the scraping of the ocean floor does to the local ecology!
Old 02/23/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

It is just WRONG!!!!!
Old 02/24/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Wow seen stuff before, but not as bad as that!! Kinda like the old whaling practices from the past, only on land and not a ship!

-unknown
Old 02/24/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Angry

That is Horrible, but if you think that is bad, you should see what china does with your little cat fluffie, and your puppy spot.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...hina+cat&hl=en
Old 02/24/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Angry

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...hina+cat&hl=en

this one is a little better...
Old 02/24/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

what a dispicable act of carnage...that makes me physically ill.
Old 02/24/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I wonder how they would feel if someone did that to them. Dirty, rotten, S.O.B's. They must not have any regard for life at all. I also wonder how they would feel if someone stole one of their loved ones and did that to them or made them watch as they were left to drag from behind a truck down an bumpy and rocky farm road. I would like to see that happen to those rotten *** people who do things like that to animals.
Old 02/25/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

I can say this much without going "to far".

1. I would NOT even care 0,00001% if someone did the exakt same thing with those people (if anything, I would be very glad), compared to the pity I fell for those helpless animals.

2. Those people should thank god that I dont have the money to buy a nuclear warhead!

3. Watching these clips gives me new and strange "fantasies" about all the things I would do if I where Bill Gates...
Old 02/26/2007, 03:57 AM
Registered Member

it's a sick sick sick,sad world. the people there are no longer human. they're lower than sht. god, i just hate people like them. wish the dolphins could do that to them. could teach them a lesson or two.

i just can't finish the video. i almost wept for the dolphins.

Less is more, more or less. :p
Old 02/26/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I agree 100% with Hemdal

I ve seen other animals killed for food, and is not diff. to this, cows, not to mention similar videos of what they do to chikens for that chiken place,keep in mind thats for commercial reasons, hunters kill deer for fun in this country, some say its for the meat but I never seen deer steak at the grocery store.

Theres something you can do instead of complain, you can buy out the fisherman for 600 a dolphin or buy a live one, providing you can keep it for 45K, I have a friend who lives there where that happens he does that and sells to sea parks.

Ed
Old 02/26/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

keep shopping at walmart..
Old 02/27/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

ediaz you need to keep comments like american hunters off of this forum,thats why deer hunters hunt is because you cant find deer meat at your local grocery store,and when a deer hunter kills a deer its one that he actually waits for,he does'nt drive the whole herd through the woods and kill the whole damn herd.This is in no way like hunting this is simply a slaughter of animals that are herded and are defensless.I am an ethical and caring AMERICAN hunter and I teach my kids to respect and love all nature!!
Old 02/27/2007, 11:03 PM
10 & Over Club

OK folks. This topic tends to elicit too many emotions and causes people to head down the road of profanity and flames. In addition, we find these links are too graphic for a family oriented board. Kind of need to keep it PG Hence this thread is closed.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)