Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2007, 11:17 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Was I too mean here?

I really tried not to be.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=5
Old 02/12/2007, 11:35 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

wow, interesting thread indeed! sounds to be survival of the fittest here...i can understand it getting pretty ugly because you are both trying to prove a point on the differential lighting, i would just try and not bite into it anymore than to show proof and that's it, good luck either way...
Old 02/13/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

You weren't too mean. Good info. I started to realize how lighting could affect the colour I perceived in the coral when I looked at a frag of Green Cap under my very white kitchen lights and the growing edge of the coral was a vibrant purple. Under my 14K Phoenix bulbs the edge of the coral is a pale blue.

I bought a bunch of coral from Chris (lordhelmet) and the coral looked very different under my lights... interesting stuff.
Old 02/13/2007, 01:47 AM
Pappone Nerd

I dunno I'm starting to agree with you Unarce. The more photos I see of "crazy" colored corals, the more often they happen to be under Reeflux bulbs. I'm far more inclined to believe a 14k Phoenix or Ushio.
Old 02/13/2007, 10:38 AM
Turning of the tide

I have an unbiased opinion... since I know nothing of mh differences

you did not seem mean - and his defensiveness seemed to stem from earlier posts or threads, like this was building or he has recieved the same feedback from others and you were just in the wrong place when he decided to let it out. that is what I saw.

I have a question, why does all the white look pink in your reeflux comparison photo? the rocks and especially the substrate have a strong pinkish tone? My friend here in Napa, prodman, is using those 10k reflux currently and I didn't notice any of that. It made me question the photo a bit - does it look like that in person? I assume from the charts you posted that this is not due to ballast differences.
Old 02/13/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

some of the older RL 10Ks had a more pinkish hue to them. There were actually threads about possibly defective bulbs because of the pink color. Even the newer ones are reported to be slightly pink, especially when compared side by side with another bulb.
Old 02/13/2007, 11:06 AM
Resident physicist.

While what you said was not mean, it always seems to get peoples feather's ruffled when ever there's a difference of opinoin (and that's on both sides of the argument). I personally don't see anything "fake" about the reeflux bulbs other than they seem to have some 14000K/20000K peaks thrown in for good measure, which while yes does enhance some colors is hardly the smoking gun. There's much more trickery with people using 20000K bulbs, have a coral under that light for a long time, and then take a picture (with flash!) to show it's "true colors" then don't understand why it has a different color after being under some one elses lights.
Old 02/13/2007, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

I don't think you were mean.

Coloring is a touchy subject, especially when you are trying to make money selling the corals.

That said, perhaps the hobby should come up with some sort of standard color board (like what the TV stations have) or the Pantone system that printers use. That way, a person could photograph the coral next to the standard color board and everyone one worried about the "true" color can judge for themselves the impact of the lighting.

The color board could even have a little ruler running down the side. It would probably cost less than a dollar to make; but, since it would be for reef use, we could sell it for $49.95 or more!

I know I recently had to change a bulb and I have 2 different spectrums on the tank right now. It's really dramatic how big a difference the lighting can make in the colors of the corals.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 02/13/2007, 12:10 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I'm glad you all enjoyed my contribution to that thread.

When PUG posted the pic of his beautiful mille, and acknowledged that 'something in the Reeflux spectrum does cause blues to "pop" a little more than most other bulbs', that was good enough for me. Very cool of him to do.

I didn't want to detract people from using this bulb. Just make people aware of its capabilities
Old 02/13/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Since I saw that tank in person, I can tell you that the coral is not really that blue in person. It is extremly nice though but not that blue.

I think it's the camera too. Like my Nikon camera doesn't capture the red color to well but the digital camcorder does hella good job. It's too good that my brown stuff looks red ..
Old 02/13/2007, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

So on a side note are the reflux 10K or 14K's worth a switch from Hammy 14k's. I have been considering a switch. Seems like the 10K's have better par with some nice color.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:37 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite
Since I saw that tank in person, I can tell you that the coral is not really that blue in person. It is extremly nice though but not that blue.

I think it's the camera too. Like my Nikon camera doesn't capture the red color to well but the digital camcorder does hella good job. It's too good that my brown stuff looks red ..
Thanks for confirming that, Phong. It's not surprising. No doubt, can it give a coral true blue pigments, but the perception's obviously skewed by the bulb.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:40 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by seminolecpa
So on a side note are the reflux 10K or 14K's worth a switch from Hammy 14k's. I have been considering a switch. Seems like the 10K's have better par with some nice color.
Are you happy with the Hammy's? I've heard a lot less complaints about them recently, thinking that the manufacturer of Hamiltons may have improved on the design.

The reeflux 10k will probably have better PAR, and if you run actinics, it'll erase the pink hue. Could be a good change.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:41 PM
Coral Assassin

I saw the minicolony of it at Atlantis; definitely not as blue as the pictures suggest. It's the bluest milli I've seen, but not jaw-dropping blue. A touch more blue than the ORA. That said, I want a piece =D.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:46 PM
AIM: reefer on a budget

you're mean karl. dont talk about lighting again.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:59 PM
espyesitis sufferer

You're probably right, Alex. I got caught up in another board about T5 vs. MH lighting, too

Not that there's anything wrong with T5 lighting
Old 02/13/2007, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

hahaha.. here we go again
Old 02/13/2007, 03:05 PM

t5's = overhyped expensive flourescent lighting and definitely not strong enough alone to grow sps as initially thought.
Old 02/13/2007, 03:10 PM
espyesitis sufferer

So, you saw the T5/Iwasaki comparison? Seems a bit unfair considering how abnormally powerful the saki is for a 175 watter, but the disparity was sizable.

I digress. There's nothing wrong with T5 lighting.
Old 02/13/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

There are too many threads and posts and active tanks using nothing but T5 to successfully grow SPS and clams (amazing so in some cases).
Old 02/13/2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
There are too many threads and posts and active tanks using nothing but T5 to successfully grow SPS and clams (amazing so in some cases).
well technically you could be able to grow sps and clams under this lighting but will be very limited in what types of sps to keep and tank dimensions. on shallow tanks you may be able to get away with t5 and keeping the easier to keep sps like montis, slimers, etc.
ive used t5s on previous tanks and couldnt justify spending the extra cash on these lights and ended reverted back to halides or other means of supplemental light(vho i still prefer for the type of actinics they produce).
this of course im speaking from 2years ago so i probably would change the way i approach lighting with how much energy cost today.
Old 02/13/2007, 07:03 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer on a budget
well technically you could be able to grow sps and clams under this lighting but will be very limited in what types of sps to keep and tank dimensions. on shallow tanks you may be able to get away with t5 and keeping the easier to keep sps like montis, slimers, etc.
ive used t5s on previous tanks and couldnt justify spending the extra cash on these lights and ended reverted back to halides or other means of supplemental light(vho i still prefer for the type of actinics they produce).
this of course im speaking from 2years ago so i probably would change the way i approach lighting with how much energy cost today.
As I have yet to convert my 58g tank over to overdriven T-5, I have no idea what will work and what will not.

I think the key thing here growing and coloring maybe to different beasts. My older reeflux 12K DE are pink when as they get older and obviously start to lose par.

No Karl, you were not being mean, but just stating some facts as well as some opinions. He was getting a little bent and instead of taking it up with you personally, he letja have it right then and there.

The owner of that Milli (it is quite nice) as even admitted it has been photo-shopped so there he hasn't really lied about the color either.
Old 02/14/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Mr Karl,

NO, I don't think you were being mean at all. In fact, I think like some of our friends above mentioned, you where just there in the wrong place, at the wrong time and stating the facts and some of your observations. Unfortunately, you were the straw that broke that camel's back, for lack of a better expression.

I did get the idea that as the thread advanced and he got to read more from you, he bacame more calm.

I am sorry if your glucose, blood pressure and heart rate went up while your were dealing with that thread, but if it is of any comfort, as always, you gave many ignorants like me, a very educative lesson (titled: Reeflux 10k bulbs).

Thank you for that!
Old 02/14/2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

Karl, Is there such a thing as TOO mean ..... I say if you are going to go for it....Go all out... Very informative thread...Much appreciated!