Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Stock list for 600 gallons?

Hello everyone. My new tank is starting to take shape and I should have it by the end of the month. I am trying to get some ideas for fish to add to the existing list. I currently have the following fish, which I have had for over a year together with no new introductions.

Purple Tang, sailfin tang, two banner fish, clarky clown, buttercup angle(I think this the correct name), snowflake, and two little damsils.

I have lots of snails and a couple brittle stars along with a bunch of little white stars that came in on the live rock. I have around 150 lbs of live rock and will be adding at least another 100.

The tank is 7'9" wide, 42" deep and 30" tall (can anyone tell me the actuall volume?)

As you can see I have lots of black, white, and yellow stripes. I want to add some blues and reds. I was thinking a school of 8-12 blue cromis, and a harliquin, and maybe a blue face angel. Any idea are greatly appriciated.
Old 02/12/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Here's a link to a water volume calculator on the home page:

http://reefcentral.com/calc/vol.php

As far as fish I wouldnt even know where to begin. I was just looking at some nice angels in another thread. Here's a link:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1042981
Old 02/12/2007, 11:09 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Here are some pics of my 600g tank (96"L x 48"w x 30"H). Given the width of length of your tank you have a many options. I did a school of Purple Tangs in my tank but you could do a school of powder blues, Regal tangs, a small harem of angels, fairy wrasses, or a huge school of anthias. It is totally up to your preference.

Old 02/12/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

do school of lookdowns..
Old 02/12/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Triggerfish1976--

Thanks for those pictures, all the wrasses and anthias look great. How long have you had the tank stocked the way you do? Any problems with all those tangs? My system is in the wall so it can be viewed from both sides, I will not be able to stack rock up along the back like you but I would also like to know about how much rock you have in your tank.
Old 02/12/2007, 02:51 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I have about 700lbs of rock. The aquascaping is not the most efficient when it comes to have corals but I find that it provides shelter for fish if they are being harrassed. The only conflict that I ever get is from the Sohal. He chases the regal tang every once in a while but never does any damage. Most of the fish have been in the tank since Oct. last year.
Old 02/12/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

1st off.....triggerfish1976-Beautiful tank! Youre fish look ecellent! Im impressed!

Gotoneone-Im sore triggerfish1976 has givern you some ideas but here are a few more: Whats your goal? Do you want strictly FOWLR, or are you going to have few polys and/or corals? If you are not going to have any corals I would definitely say get some sort of puffer or at least a trigger. They have lots of personality and make great pets too!
I have a 300g with a golden puffer, panda puffer, clown trigger, coris wrasse, harlequin tusk , blueface angel, annularis angel, blue and yellow hippon, 2ft snowflake eel, maroon clown, 5 damsels. My tank had very vivid colors and Im quite pleased.
IN a 600 I would add a few more tangs, angels, butterflies,etc...... With a tank that size you have many options!!!!!!!!!! What other fish are you interested in at the moment?
Old 02/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

XtrmCHoPZ-- Thanks for the sugestions. I am not planning on having the lighting needed for most corals. I may add one metal halide right in the middle if I feel I do not have enough light but otherwise I will just have power compacts in the 600 watt range. I like my cleaning crew, and because of the size of this thing cleaning it myself will not be easy. Because of that I was planning on staying away from triggers and puffers. After some more reading I have realized my Harlequin is also out of the question. So here are the fish on my "want to add" list. No particular order, and no I am not going to add them all because I will most likely only be able to find about half of them in a reasonable time frame. My plan is also to use the old 300 gallon tank as my quarantine tank so I can't expect all these fish to happily live in there for 30 days or so. I may also get the fish in two or three waves to help the filtration systems out and reduce fish stress of adding a whole bunch at one time.

Ok here is the list with common names.

First my (buttercup) angel is really a lemon peal, not sure where I came up with buttercup.

Gulf (orange) toadfish
Fasher Scorpion
Fuzzy Dwarf Lion
Antennata Lion
Chalk Bass(group)
Indigo Hamelet
Jewel Anthias(posible group)
Redspotted or spotted Hawkfish
Longnose Buttefly
Coral and, or Eibl's angel
two or three more Schooling Banner
Bluespotted angel
Lamarck's angel and or blackspot angel(pair would be nice)
Blue, Blue RIng, Emperor, or Bluefaced engel
School of 8+ Chromis
Any of the Fairy or Flasher wrasses
Sixline wrasse
Any of the Blennies
Any Golbies
Atlantic Blue Tang, and or Chocolate Sergeon
Naso Tang
and Blue Chin Trigger
Plus more snails, crabs, brittle stars

Ok, imputs and Ideas.
Old 02/12/2007, 05:58 PM
Moved On

With 600 Gallons I personally would go aggressive. Get your self one - two eels. I see you already have a Snowflake picked out, possible get a larger eel like a Zebra. Then you can either go with Triggers, Angels, Butterflies ect Or go the Shark / Ray route. I personally would have this stock list:

1 Zebra Moray Eel
2 Eppaulette Sharks
1 Yellow Stingray

+ Other fish such as tangs, clowns, ect ect
Old 02/12/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

I know, part of me is soooooo tempted to go that rought. I actually still have my Miniatus Grouper I took out of my 300 over a year ago because he started killing everyone. I was thinking of putting him in the tank with the SF, adding a white mouth and or Zebra eel, a horned shark, stingray, a couple large angels and a couple large Lions. While interesting and shocking I just think the volume of little fish I will be able to do in this tank will be more interesting over the longrun.
Old 02/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Moved On

Little fish are fun, but you can't go wrong with sharks, rays, and eels. If you want more information on sharks and or rays. Visit www.sharkraycentral.com I found alot of good information on that website for my shark tank.
Old 02/13/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank triggerfish 1976. Would love to have in a few years down the road
Old 02/13/2007, 06:35 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Thanks. I prefer many small fish over a few large fish because you get more interesting interactions between everything. I originally started out many years ago with a fish only agressive and they get boring after a while IMOP.