Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Losing zooanthallae (sp?) because they don't need it?

Just like the subject header states....will a Dorensis LTA get rid of some zooanthallae because it does not need them due to high lighting? I have him on the sandbed pretty much directly under a 250 halide, and he has been releasing zoo for the past couple of days. But it has been fully inflated with tentacles fully extended. Thanks!
Old 02/11/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure it's zoox and not waste? I'm just curious.

How long have you had the nem?

I don't remember ever reading anything on nems purging excess zoox., but that doesn't mean anything with all the articles and posts out there to read!

Hope you get better answers than mine!
Old 02/11/2007, 12:44 PM
Here comes the Gators

Re: Losing zooanthallae (sp?) because they don't need it?

Quote:
Originally posted by KyleP
Just like the subject header states....will a Dorensis LTA get rid of some zooanthallae because it does not need them due to high lighting? I have him on the sandbed pretty much directly under a 250 halide, and he has been releasing zoo for the past couple of days. But it has been fully inflated with tentacles fully extended. Thanks!
Is your anemone the same color?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 02/11/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I had been posting a while back about a problem LTA, but the local store got another LTA that was very healthy and bigger, so I got him about two weeks ago. It was tannish brown and white with the curly tentacles at the end. Very healthy as that is their normal color. Anyhow, he still won't eat anything.....seems to be the same story as the last one.....but he has been putting out grainy brown material. He also has become a bit lighter. More of a creamy white color, no more brown. So I figure its zoo that is coming out, since the zoo is what gives them color right? Also the store had him under maybe 40 watts of light, but only for a day...not sure what he was under before that. He's under 250's now.
Old 02/11/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

If the nem is lightening in color, I would guess that if it was zoox. it was expelling, it wasn't extra.

Stressful conditions usually relate to this type of bleaching, and collection, shipping, and trying to acclimate to multiple tanks in a short period of time can be pretty stressful. I'm not sure, but I wonder if that will affect their eating as well.

What have you tried to feed it?
Old 02/11/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Small pieces of shrimp, small pieces of silversides, mysis. I really feel bad for buying these anemones. I bought them because I thought that I had the right water quality and lighting....which my parameters tell me that I do. Yet, there just seems to be sooo many variables that could affect an anemone....even ones you can't control. Type in "anemone care" in a search engine and it seems well over fifty percent of the material suggests not owning anemones. I know there are alot of successful caretakers in this forum, but it seems that I'm just playing a game of odds. I will do my best to keep these two alive, but if they don't make it I seriously doubt I will by another anemone.
Old 02/11/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

I didn't realize you still had the first one. Sometimes there's a chemical warfare that goes on, but I'm not sure if it happens between the same species or not, hopefully someone else knows

You might want to try krill or scallops, our crispa seems to enjoy scallops.

How old are your lights?

I sure hope you get this figured out soon. At this point I would suggest running some water tests and posting the results. Maybe post pics of the nems, why don't you give us a full tank shot too, maybe someone will see something out of place. If you would include other tank inhabitants that might give some clues.

Are you running carbon? That may help if there is any chem warfare going on. Good luck!
Old 02/11/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

I just put the original one back in the main tank....I had him in a separate tank...so I think that rules out chemicals. Lights are about 2 months old. I will go ahead and do all water params again and take some tank shots and anemone shots, then post all the info on here. I appreciate the help raoul.
Old 02/11/2007, 06:26 PM
Here comes the Gators

How old is your tank? The same species of anemone ususally don't have chemicle warfare with each other.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 02/11/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

2 years old
Old 02/11/2007, 07:01 PM
Here comes the Gators

Could there be a predator?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 02/11/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Nah, there is nothing in there that has messed with them or would.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I'm not guaranteeing any help

I don't know that I'll be able to see anything out of place, but I'm hoping with multiple people looking someone may spot something.

Can you also tell us how you're feeding them? Maybe there's some pointers someone can pass on.

I'm trying to think of anything that might be helpful at this point.

Good luck!
Old 02/12/2007, 02:56 PM
President emeritus, ORCA

Anems should not have warfare between each other within species, that would not be the problem.

Is your RODI water good(0 PPM)? Could be a metal you are not testing for(copper, chlorine, etc.)? You're testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate? Could it be the flow? No peppermint shrimp(very, very unlikely, but can kill anems) messing with it? Are there clowns in there and are they hosting the anem?