Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/05/2007, 11:59 PM
:::===( @ | }

I think my GSP is spawining? (pics)

Not for sure but, well you check it out.

Anybody have this happen before? Its not food, I don't have anything that looks like that, and as soon as I got up this morning they were already there. 8hrs later they are still coming out!

I have my GSP on an "island" to keep it from spreading, this may just flush that idea down the drain.
Old 02/06/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Hey Bri Guy,
I had GSPs for about 5 years, same colony, and they never did that. They spread by crawling over new rock. Let me know what happens. Is there another creature in the tank that may be responsible?
Old 02/06/2007, 10:52 AM

i would guess that but those eggs are comming from off from atleast 3 differant peices of GSP, and seem to be coming straight out from their bodies. they were pushing them outward. thousands and thousands of them, they are still coming out 24 hrs later!!!
Old 02/06/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Um,. Bri, It's called Whatchasmokin?

It happens at different times... All of us have noticed it.
Old 02/06/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

that happen to mine when i took it from pc lighting to metal halide just wondering have you change the lighting or cycle of your lighting? i have 2 types of gsp 1 grows like crazy and the other is very slow?
Old 02/06/2007, 11:37 AM

Nope, havn't touched it or changed anything. Not even a water change that prompted it. Just started on its own.

Is it spawn?

Will the GSP start growing all over my tank now?
Old 02/06/2007, 11:38 AM
Ron Paul 2008

gosh I wish my GSP looked that good..... do you feed it anything other than light? Phytoplankton?

click the little red house and check out my flash based photography gallery!
Old 02/06/2007, 11:41 AM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by jmkarcz
It happens at different times... All of us have noticed it.
I haven't seen it on mine either. I'm thinking "All" is quite a stetch in this case.
Old 02/06/2007, 12:24 PM

I feed Rod's Reef, I put it in a cup, let it melt, then add 3 basters of water, then I blow it back in the tank, it flys all over, and yes the GSP's do catch some, but my pepps usually steal it from them, but not all the time im sure.

I got to stop playing that Barry White!
Old 02/06/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Oh crud!!! You got GSP EVERYWHERE!!!! Get rid of the Barry White!
"The North American P-51-D Mustang with the Rolls-Royce designed, Packard built, Merlin engine and Laminar flow wing is the greatest airplane ever built. We should build more of them, just because we can." Brian Nelson
Old 02/06/2007, 04:13 PM
hookt on fonix

Bri,
Yes they are spawning, had the same thing happen to me on a regular basis and yours are from the same colony as mine.

I had posted a thread here when it first happened: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=651589
I also posted it in the FVRC forum last year at this time when it happened again. I did not notice it popping up in different areas in my tank after it spawned but my skimmer was pink so I figure it got pulled out of the water from the skimmer.
After I moved the main colony out of my 120 they never did that again.
Just so you know, the GSP you have are Briarium species to the best of my knowledge.
If anyone else out there is interested in some I have it available all the time.

Congrats to you Bri on the big event!
Old 02/06/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

That's really cool Brian! Feb 2nd was a full moon. Aren't spawnings supposed to go by the phases of the moon? Or is that just for wild corals?
Old 02/06/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

It's spawning alright. I had a colony spawn like that once. Started when I was doing a water change. I soon had GSP growing everwhere.
Old 02/06/2007, 08:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Limpit
Bri,
Yes they are spawning, had the same thing happen to me on a regular basis and yours are from the same colony as mine.
Limpit- do you feed 'Rod's Reef' too?
Old 02/06/2007, 08:36 PM

Well I had a thread going in the newbie (since im kinda a newbie to corals) and the responce there was they may not be fertile

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1038947
Old 02/06/2007, 11:02 PM
Ron Paul 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Limpit- do you feed 'Rod's Reef' too?
Where exactly do you purchase Rod's Reef locally? I'm going to grab some DTs phyto from one of the LFS in Appleton tomorrow, and I'd be willing to give this stuff a try. I see that there is broccoli, carrots, and even cauliflower in it...yum!

Old 02/06/2007, 11:41 PM

Hey TJ, Ill give you a trial chunk on friday, see if you like it. (help remind me or I may forget)
Old 02/06/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Ha HA, BRI's gonna have GSP EVERYWHERE! Just after you go rid of your Apistaisa...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by jmkarcz; 02/07/2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02/06/2007, 11:54 PM

Hey Ron, did the GSP eggs ever grow new GSP? Where an isolated group just showed up in an odd spot?

Or is every batch basicly a dud?

Thats what im worried about J.
Old 02/07/2007, 07:32 AM
Ron Paul 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by jmkarcz
Ha HA, BRI's gonna have GSP EVERYWHERE! Just after you go rid of your Apistaisa...
Speaking of Aiptasia.... I had probably 100-200 aiptasia in my tank and since getting 2 peppermint shrimp from Bri Guy, and 3 more from that reeftopia order, I have about 20 aiptasia left in my tank. Each week I see less and less, and I see 1 peppermint shrimp that looks fatter and fatter

Old 02/07/2007, 08:09 AM
hookt on fonix

My GSP spread over the rocks from the first colony I had in there so I don't think it was from them spawning but like I said before my skimmer removed most of the spawn.
At first I was excited that they were doing so well and then they started to get out of control. It was then that I found out that a good way to keep them in check is to isolate them in an area with sand all around them but by then they almost had taken over most of my tank so the GSP and me went to war, I won. Every now and then though I see a polyp pop up and it gets the old kalk paste on it.

Gary, I use Rods food now but did not when I had the GSP spawning.

T.J. Rods Food is sold down in Ill. mostly, I think they are out of DeKalb.
Old 02/07/2007, 11:31 AM

that or primium aquatics sells it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ory_Code=Mysis
Old 02/07/2007, 03:21 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

mmmmm.... GSP eggs..... arrrgh.....
Old 02/07/2007, 04:27 PM
hookt on fonix

$10 to ship up to 10 frozen items is not too bad.
Although with the temps. as they have been lately who needs the dry ice in the package!
Old 02/07/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Makes you wonder if they would waive that.