Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

odyssea MH fixture review... new electronic version

After learning that the new odyssea MH fixture now had electronic MH ballasts, I decided that I would place an order as soon as aquatraders offered free shipping on the model I wanted, a 760W - 48" version. The fixture has 4x 55W PC actinics and 2x 250W HQI. I am quite good with electronics if I do say so myself, so I figured I could avert any electrical nightmares, should a fire hazzard arrive at my front door.

I placed my order 2 Thursday's ago, the light arrived 1 week later shipped UPS ground. That's pretty standard time for ground shipping across the country... so far so good.

Sorry for the huge pictures. Not worth the time to resize, and I'd rather see the full resolution if it were me.

It arrives fairly well boxed, and heavy.

There is bubblewrap around the PC tubes to protect them from falling and breaking during shipping.

Last edited by miatawnt2b; 02/04/2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02/04/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

OK, let's take this thing apart.

Fan and moonlights.

Inside you see the electronic ballasts for the PC's. The transformer is for the moonlights. Yep, exactly how I would build it, everything is well built, and electrically safe.

Old 02/04/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

250W HQI's, no markings on the bulb.

Another ballast pair for the PC's

Old 02/04/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Let's take apart those external HQI ballasts shall we?

Ok, everything was electrically safe, and the fixture is pretty well built. In fact, for those of you familliar with the Coralife HQI light, the outer housing of this light is absolutely identical, so I believe that the coralife hanger will work on it. I have not seen internals of the coralife, so I cannot say if the reflectors/wiring and such is the same... I doubt it since I don't believe Coralife makes a 2x250W HQI + 4x55W PC.

There are a pair of switches on the fixture. One is for the fan, the other is for the PC's. There are individual power cords for everything. The PC's have 1, the moonlights have 1, the fan has 1, and there are 2 cords for the HQI ballasts.

The only change that I am going to make is to put a small fan in the HQI ballast box. The ballasts don't get hot on the outside, but I can only imagine that the heat sinks on the output transistors get smokin. They will benefit from some airflow.

Anyhow, I don't have pics of the light on the tank. I will try to get those up next week. The moonlights are incredible... very well done. The 4xPC actinics really make the corals pop. The HQI's are probably 10K and a little too yellow IMO. I will change these to 14K's at some point, but for now I'll see if I get used to the color.

My overall opinion of this light is fairly well built, good deal, no complaints. More reviews to follow.

-J
Old 02/04/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Awesome review!!. I just came across this same fixture on the web...2 minutes ago and thought the price was way to good to be true. I did a search here on RC and Voila...you came along. can't thank you enough. Had trouble seeing the pics though...not big enough
Old 02/04/2007, 03:03 PM
One Good Friend

Mia, this will be a good thread if you can update on a monthly basis after you post pics of it working on your tank. Usually you have luck with these fixtures for a month or two, then it starts going downhill from there. Good luck and will be happy to see some pics of it on the tank. I"m suscribed!
Old 02/04/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Is that UV shield opaque? Or does it have a protective film over it?
Old 02/04/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm very interested keep us posted!!
Old 02/04/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

MAN awesome thread
THIS IS WHAT I WAS WAYTING FOR THANKSSSS
Old 02/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for posting, does look like the coralife fixture. Look foward to seeing them on the tank. Maybe they finally sorted things out?
Old 02/05/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I was going to get this fixture, but the seller aquatraders have a bad reputation of horrible customer service. There are also some real bad reviews about these fixtures, so I went for the sunpod 300w 48" fixture instead.
Old 02/05/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

is it UL listed?
Old 02/05/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

are you sure the MH ballasts are electronic?
Old 02/06/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

hey mia
for what size tank you will be using this MH?
Old 02/06/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

is there any way to find out if their equipment are UL listed?
Old 02/06/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

hooked on this one too.. I had heard the ballast and bulbs are junk.... but can't wait to hear an update!!! good luck..
Old 02/06/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

It will burn your house down!

(Hey, somebody had to be the first to say it )

Actually, I am curious, too as I am currently in need of a 72" MH combo setup for my 125g and would love to be able to get their 'new' electronic version 1130w (3 X 250 HQI + PCs) fixture as it is about 45% less $$$ than any other one I have seen yet...

Please keep us all posted - and Good Luck!
modded CSS220 Skimmer
165 lb LR / 3/4" full Plenum / 5" DSB
Old 02/06/2007, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlso63

(Hey, somebody had to be the first to say it )

Actually, I am curious, too as I am currently in need of a 72" MH combo setup for my 125g and would love to be able to get their 'new' electronic version 1130w (3 X 250 HQI + PCs) fixture as it is about 45% less $$$ than any other one I have seen yet...

Please keep us all posted - and Good Luck!

I hear ya...same here..
Old 02/06/2007, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

lets just say the ballasts are junk and fail.. could you just add a icecap ballast on the lights or would it not fit??
Old 02/06/2007, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Talking

Old 02/06/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

BurntOutReefer

ballasts are not UL, but neither is any other electronic/electrical project that I do around here. That's precisely why I took the entire light apart and inspected it.

dz6t

Yes the ballasts are electronic... did you see the pictures?

gabe3d

Opaque UV shield? I don't understand. There are glass shields over the reflectors... You can sort of see them removed in one of the pictures, sitting on the PC lamps.

-J
Old 02/06/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

frazier,
Yes you can wire different ballasts to it... if you know where to splice.
Old 02/06/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

so would you say that these are worth it? AKA, is it just better to spend more money on a better unit (Aqualight Pro)? Is there any true risk of these causing a problem (more than any other high quality lilght would pose)?

Just wondering...
You MUST have Metal Halides
DSP & BB are BOTH wrong
Your skimmer sucks
Your W/Cs regimen is wrong
Your tank is too small for a Tang
Old 02/06/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Racso
so would you say that these are worth it? AKA, is it just better to spend more money on a better unit (Aqualight Pro)? Is there any true risk of these causing a problem (more than any other high quality lilght would pose)?

Just wondering...
I can't answer that for you. This thread is simply stating facts of my experience, and I've tried to be complete with the photos and my descriptions of the components. I don't feel that the newer versions of these fixtures have been represented. We've all seen pictures of the Odyssea burnt tar ballast (well... a capacitor anyhow) from a few years back. Since then some always go on the record as stating Odyssea will burn your house down, but I have never seen a complete review with pictures of a new fixture, no matter how many times pictures were requested. Well, I changed that. I simply wanted to accurately show what you get for $359.00.

I also want to go on the record as saying this thread IS NOT about aquatraders customer service, good or bad. I have not had to deal with them, other than to place the order and watch the order status. As far as I am concerned, They said the unit would ship within 48 hours of placing my order, at which time I would receive a tracking number which I did.

-J
Old 02/06/2007, 10:00 AM
clownfish fan

thank you for this thread this company has gone to the trouble to design an all new light we should give it a fair honest shake
what happens now rebox and send back to the company or are you actually going to plug it in
was 359 your totall cost after shipping?