Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2007, 05:52 PM
Team RC Member

new skimmer...make it fit...Aqua C

I've gotten by for a year with an Urchin on my over-coral'ed 52g, but things just build up over time, my skimmer wasn't cutting it, and when I got sick at the wrong time and stressed out my corals, I decided one of my prime problems was being under-skimmered. So I upgraded.

A 24" tall cabinet for a bowfront has its limitations. I got the 19" Aqua C, and pump, and now have to figure out whether to put it in the sump propped on stilts---do I understand correctly that the outflow hole has to be above the water line?---or outside the sump propped on stilts.

Any experience or advice with this model? Be kind: it's the only BIG skimmer I can make fit my cabinet!

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 02/03/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

which one did you get?
Old 02/03/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

I got my EV-240 for pretty much the same reasons....decent capacity for its height, and my stand space is pretty limited. I ended up cutting a couple pieces of PVC so I could put the EV-240 in my sump resting on them, and the water outlet would be just over the water level. It rests on these somewhat unstabley (I don't think that's a word!) but it doesn't seem to matter.

jds
Old 02/03/2007, 09:12 PM
Team RC Member

This is the 120. My sump is so small I can't see any way to avoid a pump sitting in the bubble zone of the waterfall except to put it in the old Urchin chamber and pipe out to the unit sitting on a prop outside the sump. But this has to be so much better: the old pump is a maxijet 1200; the new one is a mag 5. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going to have to prop it: it sounds rickety, but maybe a couple of old-fashion glasses with a non-slip pad will make a table for it. Is it working well for you? I really hope so!

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

When I had my EV180 I sat it in the sump on top of 2 stacks of empty CD jewel cases. It worked, the cases floated away if I moved the skimmer, but I didn't have to do that more than once or twice anyhow.

The pump was set under the drain pipe and may have caught some air bubbles but it didn't seem to impede it much if at all.
Old 02/03/2007, 10:37 PM
Team RC Member

Jewel cases, lol! Maybe I should be more inventive than glassware!

Old 02/06/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

You can put the skimmer in or outside the sump, but just as long as the water level is below the return pipe.

I have a glass tank for a sump and no tools to drill it, so I have to put the skimmer outside of the sump. I bought a concrete brick (cheap) to prop the skimmer up, so the return line would pour over the rim of the glass tank.

By the way, you should consider buying a stronger pump. There is a thread on this subject. I ran my EV180 with the recommended Mag7 for a year with mediocre result, and recently upgraded to an Eheim 1262. The skimmer practically doubles in performance. The tank runs soooo much COOLER and completely SILENT even though it's a stronger pump.

I recommend that you get an Eheim 1260 for your EV120!!!