Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

has anyone bought from MARCO ROCKS

WAS THINKING OF GETTING 75 LBS OF ROCK FROM:

http://www.marcorocks.com/default.asp

HAS ANYONE BOUGHT ROCK FROM THEM AND HOW IS IT...

THANKS
EJ
Old 02/02/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

I thought I saw this on ebay, I havent bought from there but they really look beautiful.
Old 02/02/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Fantastic stuff. Very porus, lots of nooks and crannies, and since it so light, you gets lots of rock per pound.

---> If you're not scared, you're not paying attention <---
Old 02/03/2007, 07:50 AM
Reef Tank Addict

one of the local club members here raves about them, he was VERY happy with them
Old 02/03/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

I emailed them a week ago about a custom order of 100lbs of rock for my 180g and have yet to get a response. Kinda Irritated. But, I've heard great things about them! Maybe they are still getting pics of my order together, who knows?
Old 02/03/2007, 08:02 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hulley
I emailed them a week ago about a custom order of 100lbs of rock for my 180g and have yet to get a response. Kinda Irritated. But, I've heard great things about them! Maybe they are still getting pics of my order together, who knows?
They were out of almost all rock the other day I looked on the website, perhaps they are waiting to refill before replying.. I find your better off calling if they have a number, imagine how many others must write them daily
Old 02/03/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

i just pre-ordered last night...75lbs. they said it should be shipped out by the 19th
Old 02/03/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

I would have at least liked to have gotten a response. I can easily wait a month for the rock. Setting up a big tank can take some time, the stand and canopy are still being built!
Old 02/03/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Calling them is no help either. I left several messages over 2 wks ago and have yet to get a response. They will not recieve any orders from me due to thier lack of effort.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

A sea K I would be patient with them, The owner is a great guy. He was a vendor at our last NERAC conference. The pieces and price were top notch.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

This is superb baserock. I have about 45#'s and now working on the aquascaping. I've drilled it and used the aquamend on it and it's fun to work with. Just got in some fiberglass rods and am making some pillars and neat caves.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I started my tank with Marco. Very pretty rock. The only caution would be to wash the interior of the rock well. In all of those nooks and crannies is a ton of material that has caused my initial cycle to rage.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

nhlives, what type of water did you wash the rocks with? Should I use regular water from the hose to clean again?
I did spray the rocks before bringing them inside to the workroom and they are now dry. I was going to soak then rinse them good in some old tank change water before putting them into the display tank with some live rock to cycle.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

$175 for a 50lb box of "tonga" base rock?!?!?

thats what i paid for a 50lb box of live tonga kaelini...
Old 02/08/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arbee
nhlives, what type of water did you wash the rocks with? Should I use regular water from the hose to clean again?
I did spray the rocks before bringing them inside to the workroom and they are now dry. I was going to soak then rinse them good in some old tank change water before putting them into the display tank with some live rock to cycle.
I wish I had washed it. Instead I got a very deep cycle that I'm just now coming out of. If you a very good skimmer and some time, its not a big problem. It did stink up the house for a day or two. Remember I was starting a new tank. Don't put very much of this at one time in an established tank if you don't want to start a cycle. Unless you can get all of the "stuff" out of many "holes". It is really clean on the outside but my rock was full of dried sponges inside.

I probably would have used a garden hose. But I am a newbie.
Old 02/08/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Mail-in Order from Marco Rocks ...

Has anyone ever ordered their dry base rocks from Marco Rocks by mail?

I tried but it was returned with "Return to Sender - Unable to Forward" on the envelope. I mailed it to him with his instructions telling me to mail it to the address that is on their webpage. Apparently, the town and zip code as listed is incorrect. I e-mailed Marc to find out what the correct address is and really didn't get a definitive answer. Is it:

P.O. Box 600, East Dennis, MA 02641
P.O. Box 600, South Dennis, MA 02660
or something altogether different!

So please ...

If anyone can give me the correct address, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. - The envelope came back with "East" circled and the "02660" zip code scratched out and "02641" zip code written beneath, and still it came back ... Three weeks of anticipation down the drain!
Old 02/09/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Uh... Hello...

bump...

Even tried calling the South Dennis, MA U.S. Post Office... number is no longer in service! Apparently, Massachusetts doesn't exist in the world I live in!

I know when I've been beat... LFS, here I come!

Tom
------------------------------
P.S.: I'll remember you all in therapy!
Old 02/09/2007, 12:40 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by JER-Z
$175 for a 50lb box of "tonga" base rock?!?!?

thats what i paid for a 50lb box of live tonga kaelini...
50lbs of dry base rock is the same as about 100+ lbs of live rock. This stuff is REALLY porous, and takes on a ton of weight when it gets wet.

I'm not sure whats going on with Marc right now...he was a BRS sponsor, but isnt right now.
Old 02/09/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

TOUR KID bought her rock from marcorocks.com She made a post in the CORA forum about it if you want to do a search.
Old 02/09/2007, 01:16 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by hulley
I sent an e-mail a couple weeks ago for a huge order and have not heard a word from him. I hope he is OK... I would think that a 600-800 pound order would get him excited

Anyone else thinking of getting into the base rock business
Old 02/09/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Order on The Way

Hello,

I am setting up a 60 gallon cube tank (24inx 24in x 24in)

I e-mailed Marco a few weeks ago and heard nothing back. I did recieve an e-mail last week that stated:
Marco wrote (and it's a Sales flyer so I dont think he'd mind me quoting from it):

"Thanks to your overwhelming response to Marco Rocks!
It has been difficult to keep our signature Fiji rock in stock. We apologize for that and have adjusted our ordering accordingly. Our new shipment is due in soon.

As a Thank You for your past business or your patience, we are offering as a pre order special:"

I therefore ordered via their Web site a 25 pound box of tonga shelf and a 25 pound box of Fiji rock.

I just recieved a notice this morning that 1 of the 2 boxes just shipped.

I'm pretty excited because I have some 12x12 pieces of plexiglass along with plexiglass rods that I am going to use to aquascape the tank. In addition, since this is dead & dry rock, I can use a hammer & chisel and then shape the rock how I want.

Once in the new tank, I will then seed in some pieces of various types of live rock/sand and in 6 months it'll be awesome.

I'll keep you posted and take some pictures when it comes in.
Old 02/21/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

I recieved my rock Yesterday and am more then Happy!! The rock is just Awesome! I did some Aquascaping but I'm sure I'll change it around a bit After it settles. I have about 25lb. of live rock in there to seed the rock.

I decided to go with a Dragon eel for the tank. Chris At reef fantasy [ www.reeffantasy.com ] is holding it until the tank finishs cycling. Any suggestions with Tank Mates?

Here's a few Pictures I took last night:
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Ej
Old 02/21/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Looks great ej1698, I just ordered 50lbs last night. If all goes well, I'll order another 50lbs.
Old 02/21/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

the rock is light, I recieved more then I thought I would get.

EJ
Old 02/21/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
50lbs of dry base rock is the same as about 100+ lbs of live rock.

Rich,

Does this only go for base rock?

If i order 60 pounds of Marshall Island rock, and since it is porous and a light rock will that actually be the same as like having 120 pounds of denser rock?