Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/29/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

anyone do any custom sump/fuge work?

alright guys...im pretty much just short a couple little last things, mainly my canopy for my lights(which i plan to build soon) and a sump/fuge. the problem im having is that since i have a 30g cube...im not left with much room underneath the stand. i basically have about this much room to work with 18L x 16W x ??H. if there is anyone who knows how to build or knows a good place to purchase...or even just has ideas as to what should be done, please leave your thoughts / comments / whatevers here. as of right now im really thinking of buying the materials and trying to build one myself, but as far as that goes...id be risking quite a bit seeing as how my acrylic skills are lackin.

thanks,

-J
Old 01/29/2007, 10:41 AM
Fantasy Coral

Try finding a rubbermaid container w/ dimensions that size. I have a 22" x 22" cube & use a 20" x 16" rubbermaid container. I actually stacked 2 of them together & use then that way in case the first one fails or breaks.......

Steve
Old 01/29/2007, 10:46 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
socalcreations built my sump... they did a great job with it...

ozone platform

water change chamber

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..

Last edited by Bebo77; 01/29/2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01/29/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Bebo,

Nice sump! How much did they charged for it?
Old 01/29/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

yes very nice brotha...how are they price wise? i cant imagine something for my size would cost ALL THAT much. i figure at very tops...200 for something at my size, but some of these places i know like to yank your chain. oh yea...did you actually give them the layout as well.. or did they do all that just according to what specs you had? like for instance...you told them you had a chiller, and they incorporated it into the sump?
Old 01/29/2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gps
Bebo,

Nice sump! How much did they charged for it?
arm and a leg.. lol jk.. i dont remember the price of just the sump as i got alot of stuff from them when i 1st set up my tank...

Old 01/29/2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noobyReefer
yes very nice brotha...how are they price wise? i cant imagine something for my size would cost ALL THAT much. i figure at very tops...200 for something at my size, but some of these places i know like to yank your chain. oh yea...did you actually give them the layout as well.. or did they do all that just according to what specs you had? like for instance...you told them you had a chiller, and they incorporated it into the sump?
i knew what i wanted.. so i made several drawing of the sump ( different angles) complete with dimensions, they simply built it for me... lol well not simple as steve said it was the most complicated sump he has ever made...lol

Old 01/29/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

how about this guy at http://www.acrylicsumps.com/
he made a few sumps over at nano-reef for 30g cubes i think...
he is currently making me a false back wall for my 30g cube...
Old 01/29/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Ive used both Socal creations, and acrylic sump . com, And I wont get into the details, but Socal is MUCH better. I will use them on any/all of my future sumps.

-Mike
Old 01/29/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Another vote for SCC, I'm picking it up on this weekend:

http://www.socalcreations.com/current_creations/ron.htm

They're great to work with and communication is excellent, kept me informed throughout the whole process. Being able to see the progress of your project on their site is cool too.
Old 01/29/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

sounds like SCC is the way to go...i think im gunna try to get a quote from them online and see whats up...btw i just finished building myself a custom canopy for my tank...i must say...i think it turned out fairly nicely. ill try to post pics if i find the time.
Old 01/30/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

so i emailed SCC about my situation...and the guy basically said im in there LOWEST pricing range, and gave me a crazy number to work with...i cant imagine what you paid bebo...lol. i dont know, maybe when i get some money i dont need i will just buy one...for now...i think im gunna find myself a tub and see what i can do.
Old 01/30/2007, 02:51 PM

lol... well it was not cheap... but if i were to have it made elsewhere i would have had to pay $ for shipping.. as this is almost a 100g sump it would not have been worth it...

Old 01/30/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

i can see what you mean...but at the same time...with the price they gave me..shipping would be the least of my worries...lol. your sump is a sexy monster though i will admit...there work is nice. most likely worth the price...i just dont have that kind of moola to toss around right now.
Old 01/30/2007, 05:31 PM

i guess they must have raised their rates then...

Old 01/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

I remember getting a quote for a custom tank last summer. I asked for a quote for a tank of the same specs about a month and a half appart and price difference was almost $150-$200. I guess as they get bigger and better their price have been adjusted to reflect that.

If you don't mind getting a glass tank and putting in you own baffels try Coral Oasis. I just got a quote for 18x20x15T for under $50...just another option for you J.
Old 01/30/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

That's funny, we haven't gotten any bigger than when we started out, it's still just the two of us. Anyways, yes prices have increased, but if you check out any other acrylic manufacturer you'll find the same thing, as acrylic prices in general had a large increase at the begining of the year. In fact, we had several increases last year. It seems like every month there is some sort of increase.

In the case of a tank being 150-200 more a month or so later, that could be several things, most likely depending on the size, it's possible that we originally priced the tank based on us using scraps from a previous build, and the next time you asked for a quote we no longer had those pieces, usually this is the case for fluctuations in price.

Anyways, don't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to answer questions about SCC.
Old 01/31/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

hmm...ill have to check out coral oasis...i really dont mine putting the baffles in myself...thats the least of my worries....my main problem is honestly finding a tank that suites my size dimensions. would it be possible to get a link to a website maybe, just to be sure its the same one i think i have.

http://www.coraloasis.com/

lakers, your not stealing this thread...its all about acrylic man, but as much as i would love to have an acrylic sump...i simply cant afford what seems to be the price for any of them. if only i were a handyman ...although i must say...my canopy is starting out nicely. should be painted within the next day or 2.
Old 01/31/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

oh and btw...if anyone has a tank...glass or acrylic that suites my dimensions pls let me know if its for sale. cus i would like to take it off your hands something like 18l x 15w x 15-20t...thanks
Old 01/31/2007, 10:22 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
socalcreations built my sump... they did a great job with it...

ozone platform

water change chamber
Is it the right sump for your Zeovit system?
Old 01/31/2007, 10:45 AM

what do you mean? zeo is run with a reactor? the sump is made to do automatic water changes and still have space for a fuge and fluid reactor...

Old 01/31/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

such a sexy sump...
Old 01/31/2007, 03:07 PM

lol thanks.. you know i am bringing sexy back... right...