Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Skimmer collection shut-off cup?

Anyone have any ideas for building a skimmer waste collection cup that has a shut-off when full? They look pretty simple to look at, but since I've never seen inside one, I don't know how they're put together. Ideas???
Old 01/23/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

My Aqua C cup is pretty simple in design. It is acrylic tube with some PVC parts, that's it. Oh, I forgot the ping pong ball! It's what cuts the air flow, which cuts the bubbles down in the skimmer, ceasing skimmate production. I can take a picture of mine if you want, it would give you the general idea...

You might want to research a little more though, because I'm not certain it will work with every skimmer. I remember reading something in the documentation that came with it, that it wouldn't work with the older model EV skimmers. There must be a reason for that, but they didn't go into any detail.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:42 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

well here is mine, it is pretty straight forward, I will let the pics do the talking. But you skimmer must be airtight for it to work.

Old 01/23/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

When the air flow would decrease the pumps efficency would increase, therefore in my case overflowing the neck of the cup! Is there any way to do a shut off that doesnt cut off the air?
Old 01/23/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

This optical. Can be purchased at Dwyer IIRC $46

Don

Old 01/24/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Floatswitch (not cylinder type) and a relay that can handle skimmer pump, for any type of skimmer.
Floats in pics are in NO position (off), actually it should be in NC (on) position in order for the pump to run and shut down when the container is full
Old 01/24/2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quangtam7
Floatswitch (not cylinder type) and a relay that can handle skimmer pump, for any type of skimmer.
Floats in pics are in NO position (off), actually it should be in NC (on) position in order for the pump to run and shut down when the container is full
I like that, very simple and it looks like it works well, but why cant you use the cylinder style float switches?
Old 01/24/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Some neat ideas. As my skimmer is a "sealed type (MRC), the ping pong ball type might be the easiest. Is there a gasket or other type of seal for the ping pong ball to seal against?

Thanks everyone!
Old 01/24/2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bashduo
Some neat ideas. As my skimmer is a "sealed type (MRC), the ping pong ball type might be the easiest. Is there a gasket or other type of seal for the ping pong ball to seal against?

Thanks everyone!
nope, just inside the container is 3/4 PVC that it sits against, its not 100% air tight, but enough to shut the skimmer down.