Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Question ??? Paint for back of tank ???

Hello all,
Went out to purchase a tank background and the guy suggested that I paint the back of my new tank rather than taping on a background. Sounded like good idea to me to avoid the wrinkles and such, but I didn't ask if any special paint should be used. What paint do you guys/gals recommend?

Dave
Old 01/19/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I think a lot of people use paint for this application. I used Krylon spray paint for my 20L. I think I did 3 or 4 coats. It is tough and sticks really well.

The only advice to really offer is to take your time taping the tank up. The overspray can easily settle and stick in the tank's opening, frame, or on any unprotected glass.
Old 01/19/2007, 01:30 PM
It Aint Easy

yup, Krylon Fusion.
Old 01/19/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Walmart Krylon Fusion black paint it was I used....worked well actually...did it in about 3 or 4 coats.
Old 01/19/2007, 02:14 PM
Mouth Pipetting

It may be more trouble that you're looking for, but you may want to try one of those background sheets (the blue side/black side kind) to figure out what color you want to use in the end. I've known people to paint their tank black and then later on say, "The black is too dark, I wish I had done blue." I've been using the taped-on background, and I'm on my third color/picture in the past six months.
Old 01/19/2007, 04:45 PM
Will work for coral

this topic really needs to be stickied..

krylon fusion
Old 01/19/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

another for krylon fusion.
Old 01/19/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I was hoping for someone to say they rolled it on though. I already set-up and plumbed my tank and it is in my living room. Does the Krylon paint come in cans to roll-on? I really don't want to bring the tank back down to the garage...

Dave
Old 01/19/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I just bought some of the black backing that they sell in most LFS. I cut it to fit exactly and then used really small pieces of tape to hold it. Was very easy, looks great, and if I change my mind one day its much easier to remove than paint.
Old 01/19/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

jimrawr - just wanted to let you know that i did the same thing for some time with the black backing from the local pet shop. It looks great but it can make a mess if you have any salt creep whatsoever. Eventually i ripped mine off in a fit of fury and painted the back of the tank with ... krylon fusion. From my experience those backers are more for freshwater aquariums, just my .02
Old 01/19/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bassettmd
jimrawr - just wanted to let you know that i did the same thing for some time with the black backing from the local pet shop. It looks great but it can make a mess if you have any salt creep whatsoever. Eventually i ripped mine off in a fit of fury and painted the back of the tank with ... krylon fusion. From my experience those backers are more for freshwater aquariums, just my .02

Good call I didnt think about that. I dont think I will have that problem though because my 30g oceanic has a wood trim at the top and the bottom. I managed to put the black backing under the wood trim both at the top and the bottom, so its sealed pretty good. Only way water will get in there is somehow through the sides..

We'll see though, so far so good but its only been a week Thanks for the headsup
Old 01/19/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Black contact paper will work. It is self adhesive and can be trimmed to fit. I used Fusion on my tank but this is a viable alternative.
Old 01/19/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Krylon Fusion
Old 01/19/2007, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Well geez, I have never heard of krylon fusion. Wished I had - krylon is nice. I brushed (4 coats, .........a semi pia) of black rusteolum. Works great. Did the same thing on my discus tank. Still looks great .....2 years so far. Just in case you wanted to know.
Old 01/20/2007, 12:52 AM
Will work for coral

if you want to roll it on, just take a can, spray it into a roller pan, and use a mini roller and go to town
Old 01/20/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Did anyone notice that Krylon fusion is designed for painting plastic?

If your tank is glass use any cheap flat black spray paint, it will look the same (shiny) through the glass, dries faster, takes less coats, and costs less that Krylon Fusion. The fusion paint does work well on pvc and plastic parts.
Old 01/20/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

JUST PAINT IT... you'll thank yourself later. tried that backing scene's sheets..... just like bassettmd said, you will wind up ripping it off. I will never use that stuff again.

EJ
Old 01/20/2007, 07:33 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Can you easily scrape the Krylon Fusion off? Will it scratch the glass if i use a razor blade, thinking of painting mine.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 01/20/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

my LFS painted mine on for me before I brought it home.

It looks great!!!!!!

I have the stick on paper stuff (black) on my 130, I wish it was painted!
Old 01/20/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I over sprayed Krylon Fusion a little bit onto the sides of my tank and I scraped it right off with a flathead screwdriver with no problem.
Old 01/20/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bassettmd
It did the same thing and yes i spilled waterdown the back in the first week, made a mess. I cant get behind my tank to spray it now so i will have to live with it till i have to tear down the for some reson(I really dont want to take it down way to much work at this point). I tried black brush on latex on my sump after 4 coats it was quite clear that it was not working. Latex shrinks during curing left little fish eye tears everywhere. Krylon Fusion
10 Gal Pod and snail Hatchery