Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Shipping Dowflake

Hello,

I live in Florida, but travel to St. Louis relatively frequently. Is it possible to check a bag of Dowflake as baggage on my flight home? I believe its a relatively inert compound, but with the travel security at yellow and everyone freaked out, I am not sure. Has anybody done this? I usually fly delta.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01/12/2007, 08:13 AM
Reef Chemist

I do not know what the checkers might think of it. They normally seem to frown on "chemicals".
Old 01/12/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Earlier this month I shipped a large jar of Prestone Driveway Heat(the 9.5lb jar) in my luggage without any problems. I tied it up in two plastic bags. They were unopened when I finally got home.
I think that if TSA can see what it is they really won't bother it. But if it is not in it's original container you would have a problem.
Old 01/12/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

is Dowflake sold in smaller packages than 50lbs? I can put it in my luggage and check it in. I did this with Pickling lime before.
Old 01/12/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

I don't think I'd risk trouble at the airport. Travel is already difficult enough.

You can order smaller packages of Dowflake on-line (www.buckeyefieldcupply.com) and have it shipped in a few days. Cheap and easy.