Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Good fish for smaller BB tanks?

I just setup a 40 stretch hex and went barebottom. I noticed that a lot of smaller fish like gobies need sand. I am looking for ideas for fish that arent nippers and no jumpers please, my tank is also open top. Is there anything different out there beside the usual Royal Grammas and Damsels/Clowns?

I just realized I really limited myself with fish options going BB and open top on such a small tank.
Old 01/06/2007, 05:33 PM
Anemone Rancher

dwarf angels, hawkfish

many gobies do fine without sand...even the burrowers seem to be okay if they have a small cave at the base of a rock. I have a yellow watchman in a bb anemone tank...no problems at all
Old 01/06/2007, 07:51 PM
Insane Reefer

A pair of P. fridmani gets my vote.
Old 01/06/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking of a Long Nosed Hawk. I'm not getting any shrimp so I will be ok there. I will be setting up a mixed reef with clams so Im not sure about the Angels. I had an Atlantic Pygmy and while he didnt nip, he bossed around all other fish. Any other Pygmy Angels that I should look at?

I wouldnt mind a pair of Dottybacks, is there any source that I can get a pair from? How do I tell if its male or female?
Old 01/06/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Clown Gobies dont need sand. Neither do blennies.
Old 01/06/2007, 11:00 PM
Anemone Rancher

oh yeah, don't forget cardinals and fairy wrasses
Old 01/06/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d4a2n0k
I was thinking of a Long Nosed Hawk. I'm not getting any shrimp so I will be ok there.

I really like my long nose hawk! He seems to know when its feeding time and you can tell when he gets excited as if he has found something in the rocks like a pod or bristleworm cause he will come off his perch and start swimming in place looking around at the rock. Very cool fish! I think he bullied my only peppermint shrimp to death though. I thought I could sneak it by him during feeding time, but he watches everything, like a hawk!
Old 01/07/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

dont get clown gobies if you dont want nippers....especially acros they nip at...thats what they have evolved to do
Old 01/07/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

canary or midas blenny
Old 01/07/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

6 line wrasse, they are just so awesome, fairy wrasses are also incredible, if you can put up with the egg crate needed for their jumpy behavior.
Old 01/07/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

any dwarf angel is hit or miss, pygmys are also, i had a longnose hawk and it was a great fish, i plan on getting another one actually, i would have to say i recommend a single smaller anthias they are extremely active and really bring life to the tank
Old 01/07/2007, 11:26 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Just get some eggcrate and you have so many more possibilities...flasher wrasses, fairy wrasses, midas blenny.

How about a single fathead anthia. Perfect for that size tank.

Sixlines and argis can both be quite aggressive...I'd pass on your size tank, unless it is the absolute final fish to be added, but even then....

Oh, and watchman gobies, sans pistol shrimp, do not need sand.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 01/07/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Unfortunately, putting eggcrate on the tank is not an option. My wife will never go for that. That means that Flasher Wrasses are not going to work. Same goes for Firefish as they are both jumpers.

I'm looking for 4-5 small fish total. I was thinking of a pair of clowns, Hawkfish, Sunburst Anthias and one other different fish.

I was thinking about a Peppermint Hogfish as my last fish if I can get my hands on one. Would this fish be suitable for my tank?

Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep 'em coming!
Old 01/07/2007, 12:44 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I've heard a few reports of pepp hogs being aggressive to other fish, but I think all of your choices would be able to hold their own. The sunburst anthia would occupy the same niche, however, so I'd add the hog last.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)

Last edited by SDguy; 01/07/2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01/07/2007, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

peppermint hogs jump as well. Their first reaction when spooked is to go up.
Old 01/07/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Try species only frogfish tank. I have my BB with mated frogfish and the setup rocks. Such cool fish too