Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

keyscritters

anyone order from keyscritters.com? I'm going to be buying a 50 pack of cerith snails from them (its only 18 bucks for 50 of them, and 15 for shipping...at least thats what i get out of their pricing and everything...oh, and if a couple people would like to also join in and buy something, and then we just split shipping costs, that'd be cool too. I just dont wanna do a group buy lol, but a couple people would be fine i spose).

But anyways, if anyone has ordered from them, how were they? A lot of people in the reef forums have suggested them. However i cant seem to get ahold of them. I've sent them a couple emails in the last few days. But maybe its just cuz of new years?
Old 01/01/2007, 11:55 PM
I read your email

ill take an emerald. Give me the price shipped and I'll paypal you

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 01/02/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

ok as soon as i can get ahold of them i'll let you know. Total so far it should be 18 for my snails, and 5 for your emerald, and they should ship in the same pack, so the shipping for the total order should still only be 15. At least thats what i got out of their ordering and shipping page. Could you take a look at that and see if i'm correct?
Old 01/02/2007, 01:32 AM
Wood Floor Soaker

You know, I think that's $15 for the box. The Fedex overnight will be extra. Bummer!

Clint
Yet I can't stop reefing - what stuff am I on?"
Old 01/02/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

If you have read any of the bare bottom threads there is a guy named Bomber who post's a lot. I think he owns this company, maybe research and PM him???
Old 01/02/2007, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Bomber no longer posts here @RC .Also I don't know if he is involved with keys critters anymore, but I haven't ever heard anything bad about them either.
Old 01/02/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
You know, I think that's $15 for the box. The Fedex overnight will be extra. Bummer
think so?
Old 01/02/2007, 02:59 PM
Wood Floor Soaker

Well, considering its $36 to ship a 1 lb box using Fedex priority overnight, I'm pretty sure they're just talking about the packaging costs. I don't see how they could Fedex overnight it for $15, including their packaging costs.

I wish it were $15 cause I'd jump in, but I don't think it is.

Clint
Old 01/02/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Ya never know... there are some pretty good shipping discounts for companies that have shipping accounts through fedex and ups.
Old 01/02/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

i think Clint is right. I finally got an email back and they said this...

Quote:
We can't quote you shipping rates until we know where it's shipped. ;-)
The way i look at that is how Clint said.... 15 for packaging and then whatever extra shipping will cost. At which point, that would kinda suck wouldn't it?
Old 01/02/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I looked on reeftopia for their cerith snails. What are "stocky" cerith snails? They're quite a bit cheaper than their regular ones. It says they're less hardy and more colorful, but do they do the same thing?
Old 01/02/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

ok again on reeftopia.com, their cheapest lot price on ceriths is this..

Quote:
Snail, Cerith {Best Variety} (300 @ .60 Each) 180.00
Now, theres no way i will buy 300 cerith snails to split between a 40 breeder, a 29, and a 16 bow lol. So would there be a few people that want to fill in and take the rest? I only need 50.

This would also get free shipping since its over 120.
Old 01/03/2007, 01:04 AM
Wood Floor Soaker

I'd take 50 for $30 if that's what it comes to. I think you have a $10 freight charge to split up too.

Clint
Old 01/03/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

also, i got this email from keyscritters just now...

Quote:
Mike good morning. One of your club members copied your thread and sent it to us.

300 cerith $66

Packing $15

FedEx $35 overnight priority

total $116
without shipping and the box, that comes to 22 cents a snail.

With shipping and box, its still only 38. Or is my calculator just wrong? Also in a previous email they said their next shipment isnt till next wednesday, which would be fine with me...give me a bit to organize it a bit ha ha.

So clint, would you still like to order if i order from keyscritters as opposed to reeftopia? For both of us it would come out to 19 bucks (for 50 ceriths). So whoever else wants to jump in to fill it up to 300, let me know. And i've never done any group orders like this, so any help would be great
Old 01/03/2007, 11:10 AM
Wood Floor Soaker

If that's what it comes to, I can certainly join in. That's a pretty good price!
Old 01/03/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I would take 50, maybe a lot more time will tell, whats the difference with the large ceriths and if you wouldn't mind asking how small of size the regular ceriths are, that would be awesome. I wonder if they are trying to sell the 1/4 inch black ones....
Old 01/03/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

jetman, i will ask them that. Good questions

EDIT:
I just sent them your questions jet
Old 01/03/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

ok jet, here is their reply...

Quote:
We carry two ceriths. Both scientific names are up for debate right now and they have both gone by many different names in the past. The smaller cerith is approx 3/4-1" and the larger is 1"+. The smaller cerith is better for aquariums as it has a higher metabolism, eats film algae and detritus (other snails mess). The larger cerith is also sold by some of the other online businesses in South Florida, is mostly decorative, a slow eater.
They sound like the regular ceriths that you see in the stores to me.

So as of right now here is the list of who is getting how many snails. As i dont know anything about doing group buys, i'd like to keep this first one to just the 300 snails. Anywho, here is the list...

me-50
clintrandall-50
jetman-50

So we need either a few more people to get it to 300, or just someone else who wants a bunch of them i guess
Old 01/03/2007, 08:04 PM
I read your email

ill take 12 small certh an emerald crab and 24 med. blue legs

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by soni; 01/03/2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01/04/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

soni- Any other time i would probably be fine with it, but like i said, I've never done any group buy type things before, and at the moment the i would like to keep it the easiest that i can. So for now, I'd rather say just the ceriths. At least until we get to the 300 cerith total. Then i would probably be fine with adding other stuff.
Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from But like i said, if we get to that 300 cerith point, then I think anything else you might want would be fine as well.

Also, i just thought of something. I should probably mention that I'm in mesa if you guys didn't notice. I'm right at Stapley and the 60. If you're farther away and would rather not drive out that far, pm me and we'll try and work that out. With school and work i wont be able to drive way out far to deliver snails, but idk...I'll try and work it out w/you to find what works...

They said that their next delivery will be next Wednesday (a week from today) just in case i didn't mention that earlier.
Old 01/04/2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

Just a heads up when you get better pricing than avertised you shouldn't post prices as for some reason it stirs things up sometimes .

Last edited by clkwrk; 01/04/2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01/04/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the warning i realized that about 5 minutes after it was too late to edit my post with the prices haha.
Old 01/04/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

I would be interested in 80 or so. I live fairly close so it would be easy for me to pick up, if you open it up to other orders please let me know.
Old 01/04/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

ratfink, sounds good And now that i think about it more, i've pretty much decided that after we get the 300 ceriths then anything else will be open too.

me-50
clintrandall-50
jetman-50
ratfink-80

total we got 230....70 more people! And then anything else on there is fine with me.
Old 01/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

then, make my order total 70 so we will have a final of 250 snails right now, if no one else jumps on it, maybe i will get the rest...