Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2006, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Mantis Set-up Advice

While I wait for a few things to materialize for my 58 set-up, I'm thinking of turning my 29 gallon acrylic into a mantis tank. I know, it's a big tank for a mantis. But I figure I'll have to do fewer water changes and less overall maintenance by using a larger than typical tank for a mantis. Plus the water volume should be a good buffer. Here's my equipment list leftover from my african set-up:

29 gallon SeaClear and stand
130W Coralife Lunar Aqualight
Aquaclear 200
Bio-Wheel 150
75W Stealth plastic heater (no light ))
Coralife digital thermometer
3M Color Quartz (looks like tan sand, but will probably replace with aragonite)

I've got some dry rock too.

The tank will probably stay in my bedroom. Oh, the wife will have such great visuals to take to sleep with her. But it'll probably give my daughter nightmares when she's old enough to realize what's going on in the tank.

I've been wondering if diseases n' such are a concern for mantis shrimp since new live food will be introduced routinely?

Also, I believe the acrylic on the 29 is probably 1/4" thick (or should I say thin?). Should I be concerned?

Thanks a bunch.

Paul
Old 12/30/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

thats not too large for a mantis...my peacock is living in a 40G breeder by herself, i set it up just for her too

most mantis shrimp are not likely to get disease besides the peacock, large G. smithii's and H. Californiensis, i feed lve food all the time to mine and she is still healthy

if you go with any of the species i listed above the 130W will be too bright for them and that could lead to shell disease, any of the smaller coastal species that would be perfect besides that it will be a great tank

some species you could look at are the P. Ciliata, the N. Wennerae, or any of the Gonodactylus, Gonodactylellus, or Gonodactylaceus stomatopods would be perfect for a tank with that, you could do a peacock if you bring the lighting down to close to only 1W per gallon or use light that doesnt penetrate the water that well such as T5 NO bulbs with no reflectors or 1 PC bulb that doesnt put out too much light
Old 12/30/2006, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

The 130 is a PC light. Each lamp is 65 watts, one a 6700K and the other an actinic. Even at one lamp on at a time, it's over 2 watts per gallon. Would the fact that the tank is 18" tall and the lights sit about three inches above the tank make a difference?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12/30/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

im not sure how much PC lights penetrate the water but with constant good water they shouldnt be a problem unless it is a peacock, besides that everything looks really good! a good mantis to start with would be a wennerae you can order them from tampa bay saltwater for $50 shipped to your door
Old 12/30/2006, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I read that wennerae get no longer than 3" or so. I really would prefer a peacock mantis. As you said, I could take the reflector out of the pc, that may help. I would also run either a 10,000K or the actinic, not both at once.

Is it a bad idea to keep softies with a mantis?

I called an LFS today that has a few. I was told a peacock would be fine under a 65w pc as long as there is some cover. I don't know... I'll try the pc for a few weeks. If it won't come out or seems bothered by the pc I'll go with a T5 retro kit in a canopy.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12/30/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

in my experience the peacock will investigate at first for a day or two, will retreat back to its cave that it has made, and will only come out at night for the next week or so, then it will be more interactive

you could always try just getting a 65W 10,000k/actinic bulb and just turning it on that would be the best bet

if you would want a peacock and want it to feel safe i would say get about 60 lbs of sand so it can make its own burrow, i would make a rock pile in the corner and start to make a small cave where you would like it to be and it will make it will start there and build it to its liking, it should be more then dark enough in there for it

a PC with no reflector should be perfect i have noticed that since using bright lights my peacock wont come out as much until only 1 actinic is on or there is no lights on at all

softies would be perfectly fine to keep with one but dont expect them to stay where you want them as the mantis will most likely put them where it wants them to be

and just to be safe with a peacock i would not stock the tank with any other tank mates mine has gone through all of these within a day of me putting them in

6 damsels
a dwarf lionfish
20 turbo snails
8 emerald crabs
1 teddy bear crab
5 camel shrimp
4 coral banded shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 giant hermit crab
2 horseshoe crabs
3 cerith snails
2 conchs

and that without me feeding her frozen shrimp, frozen krill, and frozen silversides
Old 12/31/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

6 damsels
a dwarf lionfish
20 turbo snails
8 emerald crabs
1 teddy bear crab
5 camel shrimp
4 coral banded shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 giant hermit crab
2 horseshoe crabs
3 cerith snails
2 conchs

That's an extensive menu. What was for dessert?

A 50/50 bulb makes sense. I've got a 10,000K somewhere, but can't find it. The 50/50 is a good compromise.

Do you have a sump or skimmer on the mantis' tank? Any corals, etc.?

I was also wondering whether mantis shrimp are particularly messy (waste).
Old 12/31/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

i have a nano skimmer right now but im upgrading to a coralife super skimmer 65 and putting a sump on it too, there waste is bad, it can foul up a tank pretty quick, my 40 gallon breeder fouls up in a week and a half
Old 12/31/2006, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Damn, I should get at least a HOT skimmer, maybe a Remora. A powerhead (Seio 620 say) to move stuff around wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I should re-think this through. I guess I thought they'd be pretty easy to maintain with minimum equipment. I can see why many people keep them in their sumps/systems.
Old 12/31/2006, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

you dont need a skimmer, just keep up on water changes and you will be fine, i just dont have the time to do weekly water changes thats why i have a skimmer, plus i deffinately keep mine well fed, you could feed a mantis a couple times a week, i feed mine everyday