Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2006, 06:41 PM
a Buffer fish

What i want to see in this hobby

1) Centrifugal organic seperation(continous)
2) Laser heat sensors on heaters
3) Fiber optic lighting

What do you want to see?
Old 12/29/2006, 07:05 PM
I like the way you talk.

Valonia selling for $100 per "polyp". I'd retire.
Old 12/29/2006, 07:12 PM
a Buffer fish

now i see why you have joker in your name
Old 12/29/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

More captively bred species of fish, inverts etc., better propagation techniques, a coral industry totally reliant on fragmentation and propagation.

Nick
Old 12/29/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

The word nemo recognized as the curse word it is.
Old 12/29/2006, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nemonick84
More captively bred species of fish, inverts etc., better propagation techniques, a coral industry totally reliant on fragmentation and propagation.

Nick

very good point!!!!
Old 12/29/2006, 08:02 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Re: What i want to see in this hobby

Quote:
Originally posted by boxfishpooalot
What do you want to see?
Tomorrow's winning lottery numbers.

I can see how this thread can get out of hand, but (seriously) it's a good thread topic.
I'd like to see improved communication. Many reef discussions end up not even talking about the same critter. Proper ID (as specific as possible) would go a long way to improving communications and info sharing.
Old 12/29/2006, 08:33 PM
Movin On Up

People just starting in the hobby being more patient. At that rate people starting new tanks being more patient. More hobbist using QT. Just kinda makes sense.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/29/2006, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Scratch less tanks, an easy cure for red bugs and flatworms that doesn't harm other tank friends. Lighting that does not produce heat.
Old 12/29/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I would like to see a little more open-minded discussion when some one recommends/tries something non "status quo".

i.e. That kid getting crucified for putting sugar in his tank to cut nitrates....successfully.
Kid I’ve been from one end of RC to other and I have seen a lot of strange stuff but I haven’t seen anything to make me believe there is one all powerful way of setting up a tank that fixes everything
Old 12/29/2006, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

1.) Lower prices.
2.) More captive bred species.
3.) Cool inexpensive lighting that even the stinjiest SPS will thrive on

"You cannot achieve what you are not willing to pursue."
Old 12/29/2006, 09:58 PM
living life 2 the fullest

I want to see more captive bred species and also corals being propagated a lot more than what is going on.

And also when i am talking to people about my tank when they come over and they say " Oh look at that little nemo, he is so cute" Then i go on and on about what kind of fish he truly is. If people understood about the oceans as much as they did about space who knows what we would know today about the things in the oceans that we haveno idea exist. They are now finding cold water reefs off of the coast of Greenland. How cool is that? I just wish we had a better understanding of our oceans and the greatness they have to offer.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 12/29/2006, 10:01 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Frozen/prepared foods that replicate/substitute live coral polyps.

And the end to "designer" corals with stupid prices for barely visible frags.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 12/29/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

For more hobbyists to become environmentally aware... they don't have to become tree hugging hippies but people like us who admire the beauty of the oceans have a responsibility to help keep them healthy...
Old 12/29/2006, 10:17 PM
Flea Slide

I seriously want to see a salt that is advertised at 160 or 200 gal bucket that really brings 160 or 200 gals as advertised when mixed a naturals sea water salinity rather than at 1.020 sg that no one can use.
It will also be helpful if sold for reefs, if it will achieve 10 dkh of Alkalinity, 420 ppm of Calcium and 1300 ppm of Magnesium at 35 ppt with a PH of 8.2 after mixing and aerating.
While at it, Nitrate and Phosphate free and that does not promote algae blooms with every water change.

Well now I am dreaming!

Last edited by jdieck; 12/29/2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12/29/2006, 10:24 PM
Team RC Member

What do I want to see? Lower prices on fish and equipment.
Old 12/30/2006, 12:01 AM
a Buffer fish

I want to see coral reef water available at every fish store as cheap or cheaper than buckets of salt.
Old 12/30/2006, 12:03 AM
a Buffer fish

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
I seriously want to see a salt that is advertised at 160 or 200 gal bucket that really brings 160 or 200 gals as advertised when mixed a naturals sea water salinity rather than at 1.020 sg that no one can use.
It will also be helpful if sold for reefs, if it will achieve 10 dkh of Alkalinity, 420 ppm of Calcium and 1300 ppm of Magnesium at 35 ppt with a PH of 8.2 after mixing and aerating.
While at it, Nitrate and Phosphate free and that does not promote algae blooms with every water change.

Well now I am dreaming!
Thats a good point! I noticed they dont last so long....
Old 12/30/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

I want to see reasonable prices on equipment. A few acrylic tubes with a pump (or without) shouldn't cost $500. A mark up of 200-300% when you slap "reef" or "marine" on the label when you can find the same thing or similar at a "non-fish" store.

More aquacultured corals and fish.

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 12/30/2006, 12:47 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by boxfishpooalot
Thats a good point! I noticed they dont last so long....
Yes that is a bunch of cheating, actual price can be 20% higher than advertised.
I feel like buying "watered" milk when they do not specify the concentration in the advertising for proper pricing comparison. Example: Reef Crystals (Supposedly a Reef Salt) can only give you the advertised gallons (160 ) if you mix it at 1.021 Ridiculous!
Old 12/30/2006, 12:54 AM
reefer

I would like to see a easy, safe, and permanent algae remover.
Old 12/30/2006, 01:11 AM
Robotic Overlord

1. More aquacultured fish and corals.
2. More responsible LFS owners and employees.
3. People researching and being more responsible BEFORE and AFTER getting into the hobby.
4. I think you should have to take a test and be licensed in order to keep marine tanks.

Ok, so I was being sarcastic on point #4, but I get frustrated going into my local LFS and seeing the idiots who go in there and buy tanks, equipment and animals on impulse and plunk down lots of money. In the end they probably get frustrated and give up.

I think this hobby has an undeserved reputation of being hard and complex brought about by millions of uninformed people getting into the hobby, killing a bunch of fish, giving up and then probagating the rumor of saltwater fish being hard to keep.

This hobby is not hard if you get in to it with an open and educated mind and you take your time to research and think things through.

Ok, Im done ranting :P
Old 12/30/2006, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

I've always wished I could have some bioluminescent critters in my tank. Maybe after the lights go out, they would come out of hiding and give me a light show

-P
Old 12/30/2006, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
What do I want to see? Lower prices on fish and equipment.
I think lower fish prices allows more people to just buy fish without doing the proper research. If they lose it, who cares, they can get another because its cheap. Newbies can end up going through a handful of fish before they open a book.

I would like to see more solid info on fish requirements and disease cures.
Old 12/30/2006, 09:51 AM
Soul of a Sailor

I'd like to see a shift towards inverts that are actually appropriate for reefs rather than the predatory/specialized/temperate species that dominate the hobby. For almost every species we get in the hobby there is another species that is better suited to the job that we don't get just because it would be a little more expensive to ship or collect.

I'd also like to see a lot more breeding of inverts; ideally more on the collector's end than on the hobbyist's.