Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Sump and Liverock ??

O.k.
So I'm going to be setting up a sump for the first time, and as of now I'm just planning to have a protein skimmer and heaters in the sump. I've considered liverock in the sump, but if I do that I'd have to have a light on the sump correct? If I don't have a light, I was told by LFS employee I would loose all beneficial bacteria?
I'm also using 2 canister filters for filtration. I was told to put liverock rubble in the canister filters as well to help with filtration. Does this help, and if so what else would you put in the canister to help prevent a nitrate factory effect. Do I completely remove all sponges etc. from the canister and just have liverock rubble in there?
I'm doing a 150 gal. FOWLR setup and I'm not concerned about anything living on the liverock other then beneficial bacteria. With all this being said can anyone help explain liverock and my set up better for me? Any suggestions to improve modify my line of thinking based on what I've explained of my set up would be appreciated
Old 08/03/2007, 08:24 AM
Team RC Member

Bacteria is not dependant on lighting. Nor do you need it for live rock in a sump. The ONLY reason you would HAVE to have light on the sump, is if you used it for macro algae. While some pods do prefer light/night cycles, it's not going to be a big issue.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 08/03/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Live rock is part of the biological filtration of a tank (which you know already) and does not need light in any way shape or form to function properly. It will be just fine in the dark.

As far as the canister filters go, I have always heard they are better kept for emergency issues where you need to run carbon, but not run full time on the tank. Replacing everything with rubble wouldn't hurt anything, but wouldn't be needed if you have enough rock in the tank and the sump.

I know its been said many times, but - Dont listen to the majority of the LFS employees that are out there, rarely do they know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to SW.

Beerguy - on snake handling

Jeremy
Old 08/03/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Re: Sump and Liverock ??

Quote:
Originally posted by pottersguy
O.k.
I was told to put liverock rubble in the canister filters as well to help with filtration. Does this help, and if so what else would you put in the canister to help prevent a nitrate factory effect. Do I completely remove all sponges etc. from the canister and just have liverock rubble in there?
I'm doing a 150 gal. FOWLR setup and I'm not concerned about anything living on the liverock other then beneficial bacteria. With all this being said can anyone help explain liverock and my set up better for me? Any suggestions to improve modify my line of thinking based on what I've explained of my set up would be appreciated
Could anyone explain this? I have a canister too and I wonder If I would have to add live rock to it, thus increasing my pod population