Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Sump and Liverock ?? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176687)

pottersguy 08/03/2007 08:19 AM

Sump and Liverock ??

O.k.
So I'm going to be setting up a sump for the first time, and as of now I'm just planning to have a protein skimmer and heaters in the sump. I've considered liverock in the sump, but if I do that I'd have to have a light on the sump correct? If I don't have a light, I was told by LFS employee I would loose all beneficial bacteria?
I'm also using 2 canister filters for filtration. I was told to put liverock rubble in the canister filters as well to help with filtration. Does this help, and if so what else would you put in the canister to help prevent a nitrate factory effect. Do I completely remove all sponges etc. from the canister and just have liverock rubble in there?
I'm doing a 150 gal. FOWLR setup and I'm not concerned about anything living on the liverock other then beneficial bacteria. With all this being said can anyone help explain liverock and my set up better for me? Any suggestions to improve modify my line of thinking based on what I've explained of my set up would be appreciated :)

papagimp 08/03/2007 08:24 AM

Bacteria is not dependant on lighting. Nor do you need it for live rock in a sump. The ONLY reason you would HAVE to have light on the sump, is if you used it for macro algae. While some pods do prefer light/night cycles, it's not going to be a big issue.

Nykademus 08/03/2007 08:30 AM

Live rock is part of the biological filtration of a tank (which you know already) and does not need light in any way shape or form to function properly. It will be just fine in the dark.

As far as the canister filters go, I have always heard they are better kept for emergency issues where you need to run carbon, but not run full time on the tank. Replacing everything with rubble wouldn't hurt anything, but wouldn't be needed if you have enough rock in the tank and the sump.

I know its been said many times, but - Dont listen to the majority of the LFS employees that are out there, rarely do they know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to SW.

rafa316 08/03/2007 08:36 AM

Re: Sump and Liverock ??

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10472826#post10472826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pottersguy [/i]
[B]O.k.
I was told to put liverock rubble in the canister filters as well to help with filtration. Does this help, and if so what else would you put in the canister to help prevent a nitrate factory effect. Do I completely remove all sponges etc. from the canister and just have liverock rubble in there?
I'm doing a 150 gal. FOWLR setup and I'm not concerned about anything living on the liverock other then beneficial bacteria. With all this being said can anyone help explain liverock and my set up better for me? Any suggestions to improve modify my line of thinking based on what I've explained of my set up would be appreciated :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Could anyone explain this? I have a canister too and I wonder If I would have to add live rock to it, thus increasing my pod population