Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

RO/DI units

I am finally going to take the plunge and buy my own RO unit, tired of the poor quality I am buying. Does anyone have any suggestion or recommendations? Looking at the 4 stage units and running 2 chromine filters and the DI. Should I still run a sediment or is the 2 chromine filters ok, or should I run 1 carbon and 1 sediment and if so what mircon. Has anyone hooked thier unit to thier water heater for thier water source and then also hooked the discharge line back to the heater so thier is no water wasted, also I want to run a line to my ice maker if I do this do I need a pressure tank for the ice maker.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Not to get to far off topic. But maybe an alternative to buying an RO unit. My buddy has 5 gallon jugs and he gets his water from the purified water machine in front of a Publix down the street from him. He pays 1.50 for 5 gallons and mixes in his own salt. We figured it out salt and water to be about 50 cents per gallon.
So what I was thinking it may not be worth the money to buy and maintain an RO unit.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

I recommend this, Model BFS-161 ,I have this unit,TDS = 0

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/s...ory=168&Sub=166

Old 01/06/2008, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

I used to buy my water from a machine in a parking lot too but kept having algae problems. I bought a TDS meter and found the TDS to be 5-15 straight out of the RO/DI unit!

The company obviously never did the maintenance on their machine.

I tried another machine and the reading was 3-5

I bought a RO/DI and now I have very little algae and don't miss the trips with the buckets. Readings are 0 TDS.

Water from the machine in Clearwater is $0.25 but I was getting what I paid for.

I also do water changes more often since I don't have to lug buckets.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

If you do the recommended monthly water changes you will come out cheaper (depending on the size of your tank, in about a year) with an RO/DI and guarantee the quality of water.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

You can find good information in:
http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...showpage&pid=2

And I like this 2 companies:

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/
and
http:// www. air water ice. com/

This was the best buy I have ever done you are not going to regret it.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I use the AquaMaxx DLX4 and like it. ( aquamaxx.com ) John at FAOIS sells the DI resin for the refillable unit when it's time and the flow output rate is good too.

As for trying to recapture the waste back into the water heater, I would think the back pressure from your house line would not allow the water to exit and may even reverse flow the unit. I expell my waste water into the drain at the washer since the pipe is already there.

=== Using store bought R/O === I tried this while waiting to hook up my R/O and found that virtually all the stores didn't rate well on the TDS when I tested them. Some were really bad!

Last edited by SoundsFishy2me2; 01/06/2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

just a point on the water at publix. That water is for drinking. It should have some reading on the TDS meter. after the DI is when it gets to 0. Also the DI is not healthy for drinking as it is stripped of all good nutiants for you body, so I wouldn't recommend the water from the parking lot for reef tanks. JMO

keep the hot tub and put your drain line to that. JK

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/06/2008, 02:07 PM
Patient Reefer

Make sure you get the Chloramine removers if you're on Hills County Water.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:28 PM
Moved Aside

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI

The water you are putting into your tank is one of the most important things. This is the one I have, and couldnt be any happier...
Old 01/06/2008, 05:05 PM
Moved Aside

Quote:
Originally posted by rogergolf66
Also the DI is not healthy for drinking as it is stripped of all good nutiants for you body
Its not that its NOT healthy, the water will strip vitamins and minerals from your body. However, if you eat some food durning the day they will be replaced...

If you really wanna some good info on Ro/DI units, read some of AZDesertRat post on them..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/me...fo&userid=8302
Old 01/06/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

i bought my RODI from FAOIS and it's worked great and its been 2 years, and i think it costed around 200 including PSI gauge and TDS meter as well as expert experience from their knowledgeable staff
Old 01/06/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I have heard of several people who bought their ro/di for right at/near $200 from FAOIS, too.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

Well I talked to John @ Faois, wow what a great source of knowledge he is going to build my setup exactly how I want it, that is the best thing about working with someone local and willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy. I cant wait to get it hooked up now. Best thing is that is better then the one I was going to buy and @ a better price.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a2fire2i

If you really wanna some good info on Ro/DI units, read some of AZDesertRat post on them..

That is an understatement!!! He can make my head spin almost as good as Randy in the chem forum. One of the reasons I love this community, let's the experts share their wisdom.

See, we do more than goof off at work!