Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

DIY using Great Stuff foam?

OK, I have heard of people using Great Stuff foam to make LR sculptures and so forth but cannot find any threads on people doing it. The search doesn't work for me. Can someone point me towards some projects using this stuff and how to make it safe for a reef tank? I am thinking of making some stands for my LR that look like rock themselves.

Thanks.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

http://www.littleboxofbones.com/fishtank/tankrebuild/

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 01/08/2008, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

this is my little foam setup for my 10g nano it is now covered with silicone and sand and it is glued inside my tank and when i woke up thisd morning i filled it with water because when i glued it the first time i didnt use enough and in the middle of the night it seperated and floated to the top.

if you look up top of my workbench you can see my first attempt at the backround just didnt like it but greatstuff isnt that expensive

Be generous with the glue when you silicone the foam to the tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

This is what I'm trying on my tank right now.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 01/08/2008, 12:44 PM
Member in Training

Does coraline grow on this stuff? I would love to see a pic of an aged tank to see what it looks like.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Here is a link to my build. I used it and have since added a chacolate chip star and two clowns. So far so good. I have read that coraline attracks to the great stuff like it does plastic, so once covered it will look just like rock.http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1266837
Old 01/08/2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

If you look at the pics I added 1" plumbing and siliconed it to the wall then foamed over it so there would be caves and it hold really well.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

yeah i am 99% sure coraline will grow on it and from what i have seen it pretty much looks like regular rock after the tank has matured it might be ugly for a few months but once it is covered you will love that custom rock you have in your tank because you made it the way you wanted it.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Where do you get these foam?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

walmart - home depot - lowes
Old 01/08/2008, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

what he said :-)
Old 01/08/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Take a look at the tank of the month (read the artical). He used foam in its construction.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

I used a product called HandiFoam. You can it from Aquaticecosys.com This is actual pond foam. It is gray when it cures and yes coraline grows on it as well as other living things. One of my amenomes has mad a home on it.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:05 AM
Brighter the better

here is a pic of mine

the top across the overflow is all pond foam that had crystal salt put on to it befor it got a skin on it.
this is what it looks like after 2 months up and running, and yes bristle worms are living in it.

check my build by clicking my red house to see it in detail.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:49 AM
Member in Training

Very cool, thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

From what I hear this stuff will absorb water and eventually break apart? Is the pond foam any better?
Old 01/09/2008, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

i havent heard of water doing it any harm...not to say it doesnt...but i know for a fact that UV light will turn it to fluff if left in contact with each other for a month or so...you have to protect it from the UV generated by MH lights..
Old 01/09/2008, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Is Touch n foam the same thing? Im worrying about it leaching or rotting over time submerged in water.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else have any reviews?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

I don't know from personal use but the TOTM this month has "great stuff" in it so I am guessing it is fine. I think I am about to use it on my 65 I am setting up right now.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5speedT
Is Touch n foam the same thing? Im worrying about it leaching or rotting over time submerged in water.
not too sure...

pretty much everyone using foam either uses the black pond foam available at most local nurseries and Homedepot in the garden section..or they use great stuff...i would assume they are all pretty much the same stuff...but cant say for sure...

in any event the foam has to be protected from the lights..not sure if there is any UV produced by T5's, VHO, NO's, or PC's though...so you may be okay if that is how your tank is lit...once covered in coraline the foam should be fine...however if you have urchins that much on coraline...or a rock slide...the foam may become exposed and break down under the lights..

it is just safer to fiberglass over the foam and add CC, Sand, Oyster shells, LR rubble what ever to the foam as it is skinning over...
Old 01/11/2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

What epoxy would I use to seal this stuff? Or fiberglass resin? What should I use to lay over the foam while im throwing the sand on it?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

i believe west systems is the choice epoxy but any 2 part fiberglass epoxy resin should work fine...heck polyester based resins may work too but i dont know..