Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2006, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Whats up yall....long time no see. Tank is still high and dry but I am about to set it up...........

freshwater

Ok dont hate.....its not going to be for good. I am still moving around june so no reef untill after that. I have a 4 month old girl now and she loves to watch the dogs. SO I am going to set up the tank with a few extra large south american cichlids. I got a big tank might as well put big fish for her to look at. ....and im sick of looking at it empty.

Just a little friendly update!
Old 12/13/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

good luck glad to se you back.
Old 12/13/2006, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOLACLS

I know this is from awhile back in the thread but I'm just now reading it... anyways, anyone else find the sign on the bench ironic?
Old 12/13/2006, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Damn, people already posted that pic again... teach me to be late on a thread.
Old 12/13/2006, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

OMG 47 pages ,2 years later and no water yet. Glad i didnt read the WHOLE thread.
Old 12/13/2006, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thing2do
OMG 47 pages ,2 years later and no water yet. Glad i didnt read the WHOLE thread.
Yep...its sad I know...NOT what I wanted to do thats for sure!!!

I actualy had to DUST the tank!!

There are some interesting things in the thread...even me getting band for being to excited aboutthe tank and droping a F bomb LOL
Old 12/13/2006, 10:56 AM
In Too Deep

NOLACLS, Great to see you posting again!

I think we can let the freshwater slide considering your circumstances.

But you have to post some pics of the tank with H20 in it! Freshwater or not.

I don't have time to go back through all 40 something pages. Didn't you end up buying a Deltec skimmer? If so, which model did you get? Where did you get it, etc? I'm looking to upgrade from my MR1 when I finally get my new tank set up.
Old 12/13/2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

LoL,, I took the tour of your life.. It was kinda like the Diary of NOLACLS, "you think you know but you have no idea" cliped together with an episode of Cribs!

Fishing trips.. Tour of your frigerater,Renevating the office, the disaster of hurricane katrina, the broken 240 glass tank, the meltdown of your 110gal and last but not least the car accident. im sure theres all kinds of stuff im missing but its just a small recap of what i read so far.

That is 1 heck of a setup though i just wish i could see it in action! beautiful tank i love it.

BTY congrats on the new addition to the family! I got 2 girls, so i know how time consuming it can be.

Quote:
Originally posted by NOLACLS
Yep...its sad I know...NOT what I wanted to do thats for sure!!!

I actualy had to DUST the tank!!

There are some interesting things in the thread...even me getting band for being to excited aboutthe tank and droping a F bomb LOL
Old 12/14/2006, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefWaters
NOLACLS, Great to see you posting again!

I think we can let the freshwater slide considering your circumstances.

But you have to post some pics of the tank with H20 in it! Freshwater or not.

I don't have time to go back through all 40 something pages. Didn't you end up buying a Deltec skimmer? If so, which model did you get? Where did you get it, etc? I'm looking to upgrade from my MR1 when I finally get my new tank set up.
I will definetly have some pics of it....wont be how I want with a reef but at least I can set it up. It will be a reef one day or I will get another tank to make a reef if I cant get rid of the fresh. I am keeping all the stuff I have so far! Now I just need a act of congress to lift the tank a few inches to slide some foam under it. Its just been on the plywood and I can see gaps all around.

I got the deltec ap702 and a calc reactor cant remember if its a 501 or 601...probably a 601. Couldnt tell you how it works because that has been dry too like everything else. Shure does look good tho LOL I got it direct from deltec I think....guy from the here I think.
Old 01/17/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Got some wood in the tank now lol. Still no water...need to put that foam under it. I guess I need to...it has a plastic lip but not thick...only about 1/16". I cna see gaps (light) between the tank bottom and the plywood.

Old 01/17/2007, 07:40 PM
In Too Deep

Okay, Im not saying its as cool as a reef....but.....I Like It!

I did some research a few years back on Pike Cichlids. Specifically of the genus Crenicichla. Not the "dwarf" pikes. These are the big guys, up to a foot long. They are very cool fish and from the few I have seen in person they act a lot like groupers. I saw some tanks with schools of "Orange Pikes" and it looked amazing. I also found some info on what I think was the "Blue Pike" or maybe "Marbled Pike." Probably the pretties fresh water fish IMO.

Anyway, I'll try to find some of the info I found a few years ago. But I would special order you a dozen of one or the other and have a REALLY NICE species tank. Just my thoughts.

By the way, are you going to continue to run the MH's once you have water in it? Unless you're going to have live plants, I would think you might have major problems with algae.
Old 01/17/2007, 08:02 PM
In Too Deep

Here you go. Now this is what I call a fresh water fish.

MORE INFO, Crenicichla marmorata
Old 01/17/2007, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Yeah the piles are pretty cool. There are really quite a few of the cichlids that are very colorful...check out this one called a folwerhorn. It is manmade but stunning non the less http://www.flowerfish.com/photo1.html I am not going to get to fancy with mine since I wont be keeping them forever. Some of them get pricey like salt fish and are sometimes hard to keep. I am going to keep it simple because with the move coming my time will be short.

I am going to try to use the MH on the fresh...im thinking I can hang them high enough to not be too bright. Or I will try just two...or some algaecide. Or another thing that I was thinking was a fuge...with live plants in a tub nit in the tank to help sop up the nutrients. I never ran MH on fresh so I will be trying different things.

When I saw that wood in a friends fish shop I had to have it. Fits perfect in that big ol tank!
Old 01/17/2007, 08:21 PM
get your reef on

hey bud, long time no see

congrats on the baby girl!

freshwater hmm. well water is water at this point haha.

I'll also look forward to seeing something swiming in the tank.
Old 01/17/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jthnhale
hey bud, long time no see

congrats on the baby girl!

freshwater hmm. well water is water at this point haha.

I'll also look forward to seeing something swiming in the tank.
Yep...not what I want but at least I can set it up. I just need something cheep, lo lo stress, and easy to move. All I need to do os bag the fish and drain the rest of the water. I dont need to keep a ton rock and sand wet plus save most of the water.

Not a reef...but also not empty lol
Old 01/17/2007, 10:29 PM
They Found Nemo

post pics id love to see it eaither way
Old 02/04/2007, 06:03 PM
Tiny Miracles.

NOLACLS,

I was just thinking about you and your tank the other day...then I just stumbled on this update by searching for sand. lol..

I see your gonna go fresh, life has hit me as well, and Im going fresh as well. Have you thought about changing your setup a bit since you already have the equipment? You could do a fresh planted tank with the mh's and your c02...it look real nice and give you some enjoyment..

Congrats on the new rugrat...They are great arent they? I hope life begins to treat you a little more fairly...you seem to have weathered the "storm" well(mentally, not materially). And now you can take that experience and persevere and rebuild....

Keep us updated on the fresh tank bud!
Old 02/05/2007, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

I was actually about to update this....yet again....its been put on hold.

My moving math was off...I kept thinking Aug I will be moving...but reality is in Aug the wife will be starting work. So I have to move no later than June. Even more accurate I will be putting the house up for sale probably at the end of the month or mid march.

Here is the kicker....what do I put in it when I finally move? I can do salt again BUT my time will be hectic with opening a new office with my company and $ might be tight at first. So I may still do fresh to keep it simple and cheap...but the salt bug will be biteing hard.

No way would I do live plants in a tank that big. I have done that before and I thought it was harder then a reef lol. I had some mad algae problems and when I didn't the plants needed trimming so often. I had co2 injection on a 29 gal. If its fresh I just wont use the skimmer calc reactor and OM 4way I have already. They will just get more dusty.

Shoot right now I don't even have a new house picked out yet....I hope there is a spot for the tank even...that would really suck.
Old 02/05/2007, 10:51 AM
Alpha One

NOLACLS,

Nice to see that your still around. It must be killing you not being able to set that tank up. Almost two years of looking at an empty tank would drive me insane.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 02/05/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Ohh it has trust me, I dust the darn thing now lol. I have sat on the couch for hours just looking with the lights on...daydreaming.

I have to say tho...if someone would want to buy it with the house (for what I paid for it) I would sell it I think. I really dont look forward to moving that sucker and next time I might look more into acrylic since its lighter. Besides I had that tank made to fit that room....if I had more room I would have gone 8' lol. But I highly doubt anyone would buy it with the house.....
Old 02/26/2007, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Ok yall....this is a semi-sad update.

I am selling the saltwater equipment!

I also MIGHT have to sell the tank!!!

I will be picking a floor plan for a new house soon...there is a chance there will NOT be room for my tank in the new house. I will be in this new house for at least 5-7 years and I will not just store this tank for that long. SO if it doesn't fit I will have to sell it...if it fits it will be fresh for a while. Not enough time and $ to run a big reef just yet.

As for the equipment reef waters is already getting my deltec 702 skimmer....your going to pass on the CA reactor right RW??

I have a Deltec CA reactor that I will sell with all the fixings I that I got from Deltec also. 600CA reactor, aqua lifter air pump, Deluxe regulator system with solenoid, pinpoint PH monitor, and a un-opened 5 gallon bucket of Rowalith C+. All this stuff is brand spakin new as you all know. 1000 bucks shipped to you anywhere in the U.S. I don't want to part this out just yet....just a package deal that will save you over 200 bucks.

I also have a OM 4way 2" in 1.5" out with a version 3 drum. The cord is like 10 feet long and doesn't have a plug on the end so you can run the wire to where you need it...cut and put a end on it. 300 shipped anywhere in the US...that's a 40$ savings.

IF I DO SELL THE TANK, it will be the tank with the stand and I will NOT ship that...pick up only. If you want to PM me about the tank I will use that for who gets first dibs on it. You must PM me...don't post in this thread.

IF I SELL THE TANK I will then put the three 400w MH lights up for sale too separate from the tank. They are three 400w E ballast and Lumnarc3 reflectors. I don't know if I will sell the 3 together or separate BUT it will be at least one reflector/ballast pack. You can PM me about that as well and I'll do the same like the tank...track who has first dibs.

I will post this in the for sale section...I just want to give the readers of this thread first crack at it.

Now im going kick rocks.....
Old 04/18/2007, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Its all for sale...

tank,stand,lights,deltec reactor 600 with all the fixens, OM4way,kent 60gpd rodi.

I would like to get 4000 for it all....its all brand new never been hooked up or wet.

I would be willing to look at shipping it but I would want to split the shipping cost.

I dont want to part it out just yet but if there is somehting your interested in PM me and i'll keep a list.

This sucks but i'll be back
Old 04/20/2007, 03:39 PM
In Too Deep

NOL, have you tried soliciting any of the reef clubs in Louisiana? Or even one of the nicer LFS's?
Old 04/23/2007, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

I went to one and had someone that was interested but I have not heard anything more than that. I tried the P.O.D. people when they delivered my storage containers hahaha. I need to go make some stops but I just dont have the time. Between work and the little girl I never stop. I am moving it out my house on saterday...got some guys lined up and a f450 flatbed truck. I am going to have to store it at my work warehouse. I might bild a pallet for it and get a forklift over to my house...shrink wrap it and then it could be shipped.