Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 11:30 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by buttons buster
THose are really cute.
Where did he get the snakes?
How much did they cost?
Thanks. He's got them from all over he's been breeding ball pythons and others for awhile since before I met him. I don't know where. They are pretty expensive.. over $2k each.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:31 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
The clown is a true perc possibly even an onyx. Great looking fish though.

Personally I would start like a 10 gallon with like an aqua clear 20 HOB. Then buy quite a bit of macro algae and a PC fixture that fits the tank. Then keep the water quality up and buy one of those bottles of pods and when the tank is ready, put them in and give it about a week and then, one day pull the macro out of the tank (shaking it at the same time) look to see how may pods you have, then get a little breeding net and (using the net) scoop up a few of them and plop them into the BC.

Good luck, this is something I hope to try one day.

You have a great setup going, and some awesome snakes.
Thanks! =)

That's an interesting idea... would a AC 500 work or too strong? I have one of those laying around.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:34 PM
living the obsession

Have the same system and had pipe fish when first set it up. Flow was a little much, as you stated. Added this to the outlet and really made a difference for them.

The challenge is the fun.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:37 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by alan214
You could also do well with the JBJ Nano chiller. A MiniJet 606 should generate adequate flow.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~JB1131.html

Alan
Thanks Alan. I think I am going to go with the one I picked bc the flow seems about what I need for what I am doing.
Old 08/21/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Okay, I have a question maybe someone can help answer please.

The chiller I am going to go with is the Current USA Prime Mini Chiller.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113768

It is rated at 100 to 350gph. It's inlet is 1/2" barb and the outlet is 5/8" barb.

Questions.

1. If the inlet is 1/2" barb does that mean you connect 1/2" tubing to it? Or do you connect 3/4" tubing around it? Same question with the 5/8" outlet.

2. Since the chiller is inline, would I connect the pump outlet inside the tank to the chiller's inlet? And then the outlet of the chiller to the return on the tank?

3. I don't want high flow. I have 243gph right now, and it's too much. This is for a seahorse tank. So I want less. What pump should I use for that?

Would I connect maybe a MJ1200 which is 300gph and with the head loss be around 150gph?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
1. You would use 1/2" hose on a 1/2" barb connector.

2. Yes on the chiller connection you describe. That's exactly how mine is connected.

3. The MJ1200 might still be too much even with that head loss but I suppose you could put a gate valve inline to throttle it back, if necessary.

Alan
Old 08/22/2007, 12:19 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lytehouse
Have the same system and had pipe fish when first set it up. Flow was a little much, as you stated. Added this to the outlet and really made a difference for them.
Whatcha add? No photo.
Old 08/22/2007, 12:20 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
1. You would use 1/2" hose on a 1/2" barb connector.

2. Yes on the chiller connection you describe. That's exactly how mine is connected.

3. The MJ1200 might still be too much even with that head loss but I suppose you could put a gate valve inline to throttle it back, if necessary.

Alan
Thank you Alan. I can always go with a lower MJ for now. Do you happen to know if the connectors on the MJ1200 are the same for the lower models?

Thanks again!
Old 08/22/2007, 12:43 AM
Girls Rule!

Day 4 Update

I tested the levels again tonight, everything tested good.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
Salinity .026

I tried calling the LFS where I got the pipe fish and they said they were feeding cyclopeeze so that wasn't much help. I got some bloodworms today to try but no interest at all. They are still active and pick through the rocks for food.

Not much else going on with the tank. I have decided on the chiller and will order that tomorrow. My tank is staying at 79 but I think I want to make sure with the chiller and get it down lower just in case for the sea horses.
Old 08/22/2007, 02:40 AM
Girls Rule!

I ordered some tigger pods for my tanks and to start a culture of them. Hopefully this will help save the pipefish since nothing else is working right now.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Love the snakes! My wife and bread corn snakes for a few years.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
lpsluver:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113768

This is the one you were talking about?

What kind of pump would I need to make this work? Would a maxijet 1200 work? What else would I need? This seems like a great option for my tank.

Thanks!!
NG...They sell it but the picture on their site is of a different one. This is what it looks like (the lower one of the 2) http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~chillers_current_usa_prime_inline_drop-in.html . I run a MJ 1200 on mine and it works fine.

On the chiller hook-up...You will be pushing water from your tank through the chiller so pump outlet gets connected to chiller inlet. If the pump and the return line from the chiller are at the same location (i.e. in your tank) then there will be no head loss. 1/2" tubing will work fine and fit perfectly on the MJ1200 (and the MJ900 if you go smaller). Use a blow dryer to soften the tubing to get the best connection possible on the barbs of the chiller.

BTW...I have 2 Bluestripe pipefish in my RSM with about 700gph of flow and they do very well with that much water movement. Just diffuse it or point powerheads towards the surface.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

NanoGurl: Great thread. Things are moving right along for you.

Last edited by saltyreeftank; 08/22/2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thank you Alan. I can always go with a lower MJ for now. Do you happen to know if the connectors on the MJ1200 are the same for the lower models?

Thanks again!
Sorry, NG. I'm not totally sure if the MJ1200 connectors are the same as the lower models, altjough I suspect they are. I'll probably be at my LFS store later today and will try to check while I'm there. Maybe someone else can chime in before then.

Alan
Old 08/22/2007, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi, just taggin' along! With your other thread you inspired me to go from a 30g to a 75g, which I love!! But now, I'm seriously thinking of a nano (OMG!) maybe a 12g. I'll keep reading and probably get inspired again!! Great thread!

By the way I had that same chiller in my 30g and its great, really quite and the tank was always on 78F.
Old 08/22/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

My MJ1200's are exactly the same externally as my mj900 and mj400.
Old 08/22/2007, 07:50 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eel-byte
Love the snakes! My wife and bread corn snakes for a few years.
Cool I've seen them at shows before. Pretty colors.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:08 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by lpsluver
NG...They sell it but the picture on their site is of a different one. This is what it looks like (the lower one of the 2) http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~chillers_current_usa_prime_inline_drop-in.html . I run a MJ 1200 on mine and it works fine.

On the chiller hook-up...You will be pushing water from your tank through the chiller so pump outlet gets connected to chiller inlet. If the pump and the return line from the chiller are at the same location (i.e. in your tank) then there will be no head loss. 1/2" tubing will work fine and fit perfectly on the MJ1200 (and the MJ900 if you go smaller). Use a blow dryer to soften the tubing to get the best connection possible on the barbs of the chiller.

BTW...I have 2 Bluestripe pipefish in my RSM with about 700gph of flow and they do very well with that much water movement. Just diffuse it or point powerheads towards the surface.
Thanks! That helps a lot to confirm. =)

I can't do that much flow for my sea horses.. that is the problem... i need it slow in there.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:09 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyreeftank
NanoGurl: Great thread. Things are moving right along for you.
Thanks! =) Updates in a bit.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:11 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Sorry, NG. I'm not totally sure if the MJ1200 connectors are the same as the lower models, altjough I suspect they are. I'll probably be at my LFS store later today and will try to check while I'm there. Maybe someone else can chime in before then.

Alan
That's okay, thanks for your help Alan.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:12 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by geris
Hi, just taggin' along! With your other thread you inspired me to go from a 30g to a 75g, which I love!! But now, I'm seriously thinking of a nano (OMG!) maybe a 12g. I'll keep reading and probably get inspired again!! Great thread!

By the way I had that same chiller in my 30g and its great, really quite and the tank was always on 78F.
Thanks! Glad I could help =) Although, maybe that's not such a good thing lol. Welcome to the Reef Addicts club.

Thanks for the info on the chiller!
Old 08/22/2007, 08:13 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by tinysuperbug
My MJ1200's are exactly the same externally as my mj900 and mj400.
Thank you, that helps a lot!
Old 08/22/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

^^^ I think you just set the record for most consecutive post I really like your pipefish I hope you can get them to eat. Good luck.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:40 PM
Girls Rule!

Day 5 Update!

I got them! I picked up my pair of black sea horses (hippocampus reidi) tonight from one of our LFS. I'm not sure if they are a male/female pair, or same sex but they are very cute and personable.

We talked to a guy there that knew seahorses pretty well and he seemed to think that stability was more important then temperature. He thought that 79 would be okay, but the swing from 79 to 81 or higher could cause problems.

The good news is our tank has maintained 77 degrees to 78 the past few days. We opened up the vents for the AC in that room.. and they have kept the tank cool enough. Tomorrow will be 90 here so that will be a good test. So at this point I am holding off on the chiller until I see what happens tomorrow.

I also got a cute pom-pom boxing crab. I've had them before and they make good additions to nanos since you can see them better.

I turned off the 10k lights and left the actinics on while acclimating.

They had about an hour long car ride home and seemed to hold up well. They put a zip tie in the bag for them to cling too which was a great idea.

Boxing crab.

Finally free from the bag!

Second one free from the bag!
Old 08/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer1024
^^^ I think you just set the record for most consecutive post I really like your pipefish I hope you can get them to eat. Good luck.
Nah, check out my 75 thread... I've done way more!

Thanks!
Old 08/22/2007, 10:55 PM
Girls Rule!

When I first put the SH in I knew the current would be way too much for them. My bf was able to talk to our LFS and they gave us a small ball valve to put between the pump and the return nozzle which could adjust the flow. It worked perfectly and really helped solve a lot of problems. THANKS MELISSA! =)

We added a pound of LR that looks like old coral pieces. They are small and branchy and work perfect for the SH. It's called Totoka LR.

They went right for the Totoka.

Checking out the new view.

Attached to the Totoka again. They wrap around this, the thermometer, the intakes, and anything else they can wrap around lol.