Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 02:30 PM
RC Sponsor

Special Effects Fogger

Im having a halloween party and im curious should I run the fogger outside or would it be ok to run inside...Im just not sure if it will affect my tank.

Thanks!
Old 10/29/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

The stuff is not the healthiest thing in the world I would do it out side
Old 10/29/2007, 02:37 PM
clams are your friends.

Assuming you are talking about an ultrasonic fogger, please don't run it in the tank. These devices will drive your fish insane, if not kill them. To understand the power of these devices, put it in a bowl of tapwater, turn it on and stick your finger in the emitter where the fog comes from. It will hurt, bad. I find it hard to believe an aquarium supplies retailer would consider doing such a thing.

Not to mention it probably won't work in saltwater. If you want the "effect" put it in a bowl of RO water on top of the tank. The fog itself won't hurt anything.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

How about a lot of dry ice instead?
Old 10/29/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

lol, im pretty sure they just meant in the same room as the tank, not inside the tank. if its ultra sonic i think that would be fine.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:28 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
Assuming you are talking about an ultrasonic fogger, please don't run it in the tank. These devices will drive your fish insane, if not kill them. To understand the power of these devices, put it in a bowl of tapwater, turn it on and stick your finger in the emitter where the fog comes from. It will hurt, bad. I find it hard to believe an aquarium supplies retailer would consider doing such a thing.

Not to mention it probably won't work in saltwater. If you want the "effect" put it in a bowl of RO water on top of the tank. The fog itself won't hurt anything.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:55 PM
clams are your friends.

glad someone caught the joke....

In all seriousness, an ultrasonic one would be fine in the house, but I'd be careful with the ones that use the jugs of "juice" to make the fog. I used to work around those all the time. They make your lungs and nasal passages feel like they are coated with film after a while. I can't imagine it would be too good for a tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I've done that, I have foggers for my reptiles and yes they do hurt! and they also break easily.

anyway if you mean one of those ground foggers, mine says to run out side as the fog juice is not good for you and especially for ppl with asthma etc.
1 royal gramma
1 lubbucks wrasse
phosban
remora C skimmer
cheato
aqua remora c
30lbs live rock
GSP frag