Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2004, 12:32 PM
Moved On

Applause for your ingenuity, and a big hush to the naysayers!

Please, parental-sounding folk, let us all pause to consider:
The carefree creativity behind this video-stunt is the same creativity that has lead, perhaps indirectly, to a myriad of practical advances, both reef-related and others. It is, when viewed simplisticly, the spirit of science and invention in its....let's say, sophmoric stage. But it's science nevertheless! And none of us can afford to loose sight of that precept. Any endeavor that advances the scientific understanding of any individual has its merit (....and that merit should be weighed by ones peers, as it is here.)But frowning on this zany-ness is akin to frowning on all that people have learned through similar, knee-jerk experimentation. Eggs must be broken to make egg sandwiches!

As for the McGyver question..did they just run a very thin wire through the firecracker, water seal it, then use the 9v to heat up the wire?

Please forgive if this is a rant, I may be just angry about Ohio.

Perhaps another four years of G.W. and his 9 volt battery? Now that is something to get upset about!
Old 11/03/2004, 12:38 PM
Secretary, South Bay Reef

kenetics and dilution

drastic times call for drastic measures.. hahaha sure, it may be a bit cruel, a better question to ask is this...

What happens to a firecracker and a bottle placed 4" apart in the air? (say m80 type)

What happens to the same bottle and firecracker same distance under water?

The bottle breaks in the water scenario as water conducts kinetic energy much much better.

But yeah, gunpowder contains sulfur and other crap that I'm sure will remain and effect the inhabitants for a long long time no matter how "unaffected" they look.

Excerpted from the link on water changes...
Old 11/03/2004, 12:52 PM
I need a tank!!!

Well i once threw a LTA off a cliff after it caused 2k dollars in damage in my tank (actually i just had no way of saving it cuz it drained my tanks and i wanted to put it out of its misery but i DID enjoy it after what it did )

So i probably shouldnt say this, but dude....firecrackers inside of your aquarium? I hope you just had damsels in there Ya you probably hurt those fishes heads for quite a while and possibly inverted their lateral lines haha. As for the crab i dont feel for it. Its a crab. Its basically an insect (same genus(?)) so whatever. I just dont think its cool for you to stick a firecracker in there with other fish. Its your tank tho and fish have had much more horrible experiences from much more amiable intentions.

Look at all of you that use chromis to cycle a tank. You realize what you are doing is putting them in ammonia filled water which burns their gills. They just happen to be able to live thru it.

In conclusion, i give you skin and say shame on you
Old 11/03/2004, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

That was the most imature, thoughtless act of idiocy Iv ever seen!

PLEASE PLEASE DO IT AGAIN!!!
Old 11/03/2004, 01:11 PM
Thread Killer :(

I can't say I give applause to the mostly juvenile way of going about it.... but I do have to admit un-motherly behavior of shoving a needle down a living animals mouth and shooting caustic liquid into it.

However, that doesn't mean instant success for everyone else.

Adrienne
Old 11/03/2004, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

That's the bomb...........literally.
Old 11/03/2004, 01:36 PM
Defender against ICH

WOW like others I thought that was unreal. I would never have the balls to do that in my tank..but it's no different from catching a crab in my reef tank and feeding that crab to my FOWLR tank to my trigger and tusk...btw the crabs never reach the bottom of the tank.

But what smarts your friend has....he must be Mcgyver. Great job.

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 11/03/2004, 01:43 PM
Thread Killer :(

What is kinda funny is that cleaner shrimp sitting there in the back ground going "WTH!"
I hope you dose some 'reef advil' for the headache that little bugger is going to have heh

However, that doesn't mean instant success for everyone else.

Adrienne
Old 11/03/2004, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

That has got to be one of the most creative ways I have ever seen to remove a unwanted pest. On the other hand, you guys had way too much time on your hands.... I still can't stop laughing!
Old 11/03/2004, 02:55 PM
Soup Nazi

I'd never do that in my tank - but if one of my dipsh!t friends told me that they were going to do that, I'd grab the camcorder also! Thanks for sharing - but I think that everyone agrees that there are better and more humane ways to dipose of PITA creatures...
Old 11/03/2004, 02:56 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

That was hilarious.

To you "wahhh wahhh wahhers". WAAAHHH!!!! BFD. sheeesh! You(we) are all reef raping killers so don't be so quick to become hypocritical and judge others using alternate methodology.

hilarious!!!!!
Old 11/03/2004, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I wonder if the pressure wave from the little explision affected any nearby creatures.

Seems stupid to introduce random chemicals to an aquarium you spend so much time and money on.

Also, that video is an admission that the crab outsmarted you. Anyone with half a brain can catch one, lol.
Old 11/03/2004, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

straight ILL! do it again!
Old 11/03/2004, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

The other inhabits of the tank will now have to learn 'sign language'. A fishes ears are much less complicated than ours. Its made up of the equivalent of our inner ear only, since the connecting apparatus of the human middle and outer ear is unnecessary to a fish. The reason for this is that water is a very dense medium, and therefore sounds or vibrations-which travel five times faster than through air- are more easily and intensly detected.
Fish can hear basically the same sound range as we do. Fishes hearing is supported by thier ability to sense vibrations. These my be detected by the swim-bladder and passed onto the ear by means of the weberian ossicles ( a series of interconnecting bones), or by a tubular structure, resembling a doctors stethiscope. that connects the swim-bladder with the ear.
My guess is the rest of the inhabitants are now DEAF!
Old 11/03/2004, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Sad but true!

If you can rig up that then I am sure you could of removed the crab, perhaps you need to direct your abilities at other things than blowing up creatures alive.

How about you attach the explosive to your head and video that, now that I would like to see.
Old 11/03/2004, 03:44 PM
I'm the Dude.

screw the animal rights activists on this one.....That was hilarious!!!!

KA-BOOM.

Goby
Old 11/03/2004, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

You know what upsets me? People that go to the local fish store and purchase live healthy fish, coral, inverts… then go home and place them in your inadequate tanks. Because of your lack of knowledge and skill, those poor animals die. That is directly YOUR fault.

I hope every one of you that was upset by the video never killed anything in your life. I also hope that you guys get a nice healthy mantis shrimp in your tank… or perhaps a plague of flat worms, or hmmmm some aptasia… or some tulip anemones… or I know! I know! A really annoying rock crab! J

Also, I hope that you all are vegetarians… I hope you don’t kill ants, flies, roaches, or any type of pest. I hope you don’t even walk anywhere because chances are; you’ve killed hundreds if not thousands of insects in your lifetime by just walking around on the side walks. I’ve read somewhere also, that in an average year, a human traps and swallows 20 small flies in their mouths. DOH! Oh no!! What are to do!! We are all murderers!

Oh yah! Forgot to mention, do you people eat crab? Because if you do, I hope you know how they are killed. They take them while they’re alive, and rip their back carapace off them while they are still moving. When they’re opened up, their hearts still beat and the organs are moving. Or, people take them (alive) and dump them in boiling water. Hmmmmmm. I guess you’re ok with it as long as there’s a little bit of lemon and some basil on it? Hehehe

It’s ok.. I think those of you who were upset by the vid should just go hug your kids and go to sleep. J

Cheers!
Old 11/03/2004, 04:28 PM
Registered member

Quote:
...but it's no different from catching a crab in my reef tank and feeding that crab to my FOWLR tank to my trigger and tusk...btw the crabs never reach the bottom of the tank.
Finally, a voice of reason.
Old 11/03/2004, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Its not the KILLING of the crab that upsets me, because we all kill lots of pests. It's the disabling TORCHURE you exposed the other creaturs to.
Old 11/03/2004, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Kudos on the video. I don't think I'd have the guts to do it though. Still pretty darn funny.
Old 11/03/2004, 05:01 PM
The Original Happy Banana

Quote:
Also, I hope that you all are vegetarians…
Woah, hey there...I am.

I think that was an interesting way to get rid of a pest to be sure. However, I don't consider it very humane or smart for that matter. Firecrackers have all kinds of noxious chemicals in them (basically gunpowder) that contains high levels of nitrates/nitrites, sulfur compounds, saltpeter, etc. And that is before it is ignited and combusts. In other words, stuff you do not want in your tank!

Most ppl seem upset by the effect it probably had on all the other living creatures in the tank -- sound (meaning vibrations) carries much better in water..something on the order 10x better (if I remember correctly..).
Old 11/03/2004, 05:22 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnHenry
Applause for your ingenuity, and a big hush to the naysayers!

Please, parental-sounding folk, let us all pause to consider:
The carefree creativity behind this video-stunt is the same creativity that has lead, perhaps indirectly, to a myriad of practical advances, both reef-related and others. It is, when viewed simplisticly, the spirit of science and invention in its....let's say, sophmoric stage. But it's science nevertheless! And none of us can afford to loose sight of that precept. Any endeavor that advances the scientific understanding of any individual has its merit (....and that merit should be weighed by ones peers, as it is here.)But frowning on this zany-ness is akin to frowning on all that people have learned through similar, knee-jerk experimentation. Eggs must be broken to make egg sandwiches!
Thank you Josef Mengele

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 11/03/2004, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

CRAZY

Hope you ran your skimmer on full BLAST!!
Old 11/03/2004, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

AWSOME....JUST AWESOME
Old 11/03/2004, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Most ppl seem upset by the effect it probably had on all the other living creatures in the tank
Well, to be honest, it may be less abrasive than removing live rock and livestock from the tank. In addition, replacing them would induce a nice algae bloom. The livestock's future was this suffer a quick Das Boot depth charge or possibly be eaten.

On the other hand I would have been worried about breaking the tank, leaching chemicals, and there are several alternate methods of capture.