Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2006, 06:07 PM
Parapterois heterura

Silversnake, I think you could easily reduce your 20-40ppm nitrates to near zero with the RDSB but especially with tidy feeding habits and very regular partial water changes. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 06/22/2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

I have had my RDSB running for about 3 months now, maybe a little more. I have had, ABSOLUTELY no fish in my tank either. I never feed the tank anything, but my nitrates have gone up slightly since adding the RDSB and I now have GHA growing all over the place.

My lights are only 3 months old, only on for 6 hours a day, and my Phos is reading 0.

I tore down my Denitratication tube and it was clean as a whistle.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please? lol
Old 06/22/2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

how long has the tank been set up? a lot of new tanks go through algae blooms, mine had a wicked one when i moved it from a 70 to a 120, and across town. phosphate readings of 0 can be a little misleading if the algae is consuming the available phosphates. where did you get the sand from?
Old 06/22/2006, 06:07 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I am setting up a 10G display, 10G sump system. What dimensions of a DSB would you recommend? Where can I find all sorts of buckets in different sizes?
Old 06/22/2006, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

heres how my dsb bucket is going along i used a rectangular shape bucket because the lack of space and i used this sand from home depot

Old 06/22/2006, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Which is the inlet, the higher one or the lower one?
Old 06/22/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

the higher one is the inlet....i ran out of sand so the sand level will still be a little higher
Old 06/23/2006, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

Is it common for an RDSB to kick off an algae bloom? I have a metric TON of brownish algae growing everywhere in my tank since I installed the RDSB. Oddly enough though, I'm not reading any appreciable nutrients in the system.
Old 06/23/2006, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psimitry
Is it common for an RDSB to kick off an algae bloom? I have a metric TON of brownish algae growing everywhere in my tank since I installed the RDSB. Oddly enough though, I'm not reading any appreciable nutrients in the system.
You started three weeks ago as I can read. Maybe new cycle is going on? Whats the volume of old sand in the tank and new in RDSB? Are algae similar when new tank is cycling?
Old 06/23/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gotdibz
heres how my dsb bucket is going along i used a rectangular shape bucket because the lack of space and i used this sand from home depot

exactly my setup, but i have more sand and it came from the beach
Old 06/23/2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by euphylius
You started three weeks ago as I can read. Maybe new cycle is going on? Whats the volume of old sand in the tank and new in RDSB? Are algae similar when new tank is cycling?
There's definitely more in the RDSB than there is in the tank. In the tank I think there's about 30lb of mixed black (non-calcium) sand and calcium/silica mix playsand.

In the RDSB there's about 60LB of calcium/silica playsand.

The tank was pretty much cycled when I built it (went from old 30G to new 50G w/ only adding about 10lb of sand and no new LR), so I can't really say if the algae was similar. This tank has been established since I bought it (through a series of upgrade cycles).

HOWEVER - I will say that I can't really recall seeing this type of algae in the tank before. Normally I get a really bright green algae. This stuff is definitely turd brown.
Old 06/23/2006, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

GOTDIBZ: Where did you find that sand???????? If there is a possible substitute for our Southdown, that would be great!!!!
Old 06/23/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a4twenty
how long has the tank been set up? a lot of new tanks go through algae blooms, mine had a wicked one when i moved it from a 70 to a 120, and across town. phosphate readings of 0 can be a little misleading if the algae is consuming the available phosphates. where did you get the sand from?

My tank has been up for two years. My sand is not the problem of the GHA. I have silica sand, and dispite all the hearsay of diatoms because of silica, is a myth. I have never seen diatoms grow on a glass bottle. LOL
I know it's a simple problem that needs figuring.
Old 06/24/2006, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Savatage
GOTDIBZ: Where did you find that sand???????? If there is a possible substitute for our Southdown, that would be great!!!!
It's probably a calcium/silicate blend. It's rather common in playsand. I can pick it up by the truckload at home depot.
Old 06/24/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I just built a dsb in a bucket. Thanks for the ideas. I do have a question, I have 160 gph flowing through it, is that enough? The flow is not massive, but it is there. The water is comming from my sump and is somewhat filtered before hand.

Do I need to step up the flow or am I ok?
Old 06/24/2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dstalfire
I just built a dsb in a bucket. Thanks for the ideas. I do have a question, I have 160 gph flowing through it, is that enough? The flow is not massive, but it is there. The water is comming from my sump and is somewhat filtered before hand.

Do I need to step up the flow or am I ok?
There's no way to quantify how much flow you need through the RDSB.

If detritus is settling in the bucket, you need more flow. If the sand is blowing around, you need less.
Old 06/24/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Savatage .. i got the the sand from hope depot this sand is very commond and everyone on my area uses it because is pretty good and easy to find and it does the job
Old 06/24/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks GOTBIDZ, I'll have to do some checking and testing and if it passes, I'll use it.
Old 06/24/2006, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

let me know what your conclusion is
Old 06/24/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Thats where I got mine from.
Old 06/26/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Anthony. The bucket is set-up in my sump and I can't wait to see the results. I did discover a problem with my tap water that I've been using for water changes though. 10 ppm trates. When I tested the tap water before I got 0 and didnt check it that often.
Old 06/26/2006, 04:36 AM
RC Staff
American

Your tap water can change day to day (even less). That's why so many people use and recommend RO/DI. Who knows what's coming from your tap that we never thought to check for. Again, just because your tap water has been fine for XX number of days does not mean that your next water change with it won't kill off half or all of your tank.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 06/26/2006, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

I'm very interested in the idea of the DSB in a bucket, but alas, I have no place to put something so large as a bucket, even a "square" one. I was wondering if there'd be any utility in making using a tall piece of PVC, say 3-inches in diameter and 4-feet high. Any thoughts on doing that as variation on this theme?
Old 06/26/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Avi
I'm very interested in the idea of the DSB in a bucket, but alas, I have no place to put something so large as a bucket, even a "square" one. I was wondering if there'd be any utility in making using a tall piece of PVC, say 3-inches in diameter and 4-feet high. Any thoughts on doing that as variation on this theme?
Too little surface area. Is not the height what is important is the surface area u want a 1.5 to 2 feet of height only but as much a surface area as u can.
Old 06/26/2006, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Thanks...I had been under the impression that it was necessary to have an area where oxygen in the water wouldn't reach the depth of the sand, thereby fostering a growth of anaerobic bacteria that would consume nitrates because oxygen didn't reach there. If it's surface area that's critical, then you'd be saying that the the DSB in a bucket's designed to provide area for aerobic bacteria?