Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/03/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

help ID something on my tang

On the side of my tang there is something which looks to be an invert maybe. It is about an inch long and has 2 black eyes and horizontal stripes. it doesnt seem to have any kind of appendages. I am trying to get a pic
Old 06/03/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

cirolanid maybe
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/cirolanid_isopod.html
Old 06/03/2006, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

here are some pics my camera isnt the best but I think you can see it fairly well
it looks to be a Cirolanid
if you have any info please share with me

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showg...at=500&thumb=1
Old 06/03/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php
thats def. a cirolanid , they feed off your fish's bodily fluids etc.
Old 06/03/2006, 12:29 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Yep. Thats what it is.

BTW, what type of LR do you have?
Old 06/03/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I ordered live rock from Gulf-view in florida, and I got infested with those things! When one would get on my clown, usually at night, I would net her out into a gallon jug of tank water, and the Isopods always jumped right off, into the jug, so I would renet the fish and place her in the tank, and wash the Isopod down the drain......Good luck with that!
Old 06/03/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

it came from floridaliverock.com
it is aquacultured and it must be a breeding ground for these pests
Old 06/03/2006, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

any ideas on how to get it off my fish?
looks like I am going to have to remove my fish for up to 6 months
any thoughts on this

I am not badmouthing floridaliverock if i came across that way
Old 06/03/2006, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

He's got some great info. I didn't have to tear down my tank either. I caught them all. It just takes 3 things:

Insanity
No sleep
Persistance

I can send you the links of my adventures in Isopods, but the forum is down at the moment where they are posted. If you are interested, I'll post them later, when the forum is back up and running.
Old 06/03/2006, 12:41 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Yep, seems these are real common in flordia rock.

AS for treatment, removeal, read the article hairymushroom posted the link to.
Old 06/03/2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

i have seen these while fishing and have just pulled them off fish , but they attach quite firmly, so you risk damaging the fish. i think an alternative would be a FW dip.
Old 06/03/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

floridaliverock.com and gulf view is the same place
Old 06/03/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I caught the tang and gave him a fw dip and the little pest let go and that is it for now. Going to look tonight and see if there are any more of these things. Wish me luck
Old 06/03/2006, 04:17 PM
TRC Leader

That is a great picture you took. May I use it on my site in addition to the pest image I have now, to give people a good idea of what to look for? Do you happen to have a larger version (640 x 480 would be ideal) of this one: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/89062moses1.jpg
Old 06/04/2006, 09:20 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Yep, seems these are real common in flordia rock.

AS for treatment, removeal, read the article hairymushroom posted the link to.
Actually, the hairymushroom article is just for a background on biology and ID, since you already know the ID and that it is parasitic, I suggest the article that cainchristy posted (mine) for trapping tips.

It would be very interested in learning if you have any more Cirolanids in the tank and if they are attracted to my stinky water trap. The current "common knowledge opinion" on the Cirolanids in the hobby is that most are strict parasites of fish (never scavenge) and if you could attract some to a trap you could:

1. Get them out of your tank (the goal)

2. Confirm that some parasitic ones can also scavenge.

Sorry to hear you have them, but the trapping seems to be working for some people like it did for me.

Brian
Old 06/04/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

I am looking in the tank tonight to see if there are any more of these cirolanids I looked a little last night and didnt see any of these. I am praying I dont have a bunch of them. I have not seen any other then this one and my tank has been running about 3months with this rock in it. If you have any pointers on finding them or if the red light is the best I will look that way. Do I need to wait for the lights to be out for a few hours before I start looking? Thanks for the info everyone and if I do have them I will let you know about the trap. I will give it a try

and MELEV you are more than welcome to use the pics. I posed a larger one in my gallery. Here is the link http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/89062moses3.jpg
Old 06/04/2006, 09:12 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks sds. I appreciate it.
Old 06/05/2006, 07:21 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by sds
I am looking in the tank tonight to see if there are any more of these cirolanids I looked a little last night and didnt see any of these. I am praying I dont have a bunch of them. I have not seen any other then this one and my tank has been running about 3months with this rock in it. If you have any pointers on finding them or if the red light is the best I will look that way. Do I need to wait for the lights to be out for a few hours before I start looking? Thanks for the info everyone and if I do have them I will let you know about the trap. I will give it a try

The red light is the 2nd best way to look for them. Usually 2 hours after lights off (and other lights in the room off too!) is a good time to start looking.

But the trap and stinky water is the best way, as I mentioned in my article, the first two nights I used the trap I caught 3 large isopods that I had not seen in 12 weeks of almost nightly observations

Brian
Old 06/05/2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

how do you make a stinky water trap? I am willing to try it
Old 06/05/2006, 10:37 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by sds
how do you make a stinky water trap? I am willing to try it
Read my article Steps are in there.

Brian
Old 07/01/2006, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

I have serveral hundred of these in my tank. You can even see them in the day time. I am going to try the stinky trap and see how that works. Thanks Hunter for the research.

Cheer up! The worst effects of what we're doing won't be felt until after we're all dead
--Ashleigh Brilliant
Old 07/01/2006, 11:03 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJosh
I have serveral hundred of these in my tank. You can even see them in the day time. I am going to try the stinky trap and see how that works. Thanks Hunter for the research.
Josh,

Do you see them attached to your fish? If you see them in the daytime it is highly unlikely they are Cirolanid isopods, but instead the harmless (beneficial) Sphaeromatid isopods. A good test would be to capture one and poke it gently with a chopstick. If it can roll up into a complete ball (like a land based pill bug), then it is likely the good guys.

Brian
Old 07/02/2006, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Thats why you dont support these bs live rock companies... gET some fiji or marshall or indonesian....uhhhh...that just makes my spine tingle
Old 07/02/2006, 02:24 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Thats why you dont support these bs live rock companies... gET some fiji or marshall or indonesian....uhhhh...that just makes my spine tingle
There is very little data available on how common Cirolanid isopods are on Florida aquacultured live rock vs. pacific rock. Of people that have asked for my help it seems it is more common from the Florida rock, but I've had several people report it from pacific rock. These are tough little guys that can survive a lot.

Brian