Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

tks !!!
Old 04/15/2006, 04:57 PM
Proud reefaholic

Well,
Here they are. Thanks to Captain´s and others people advice I bought a Panworld150 instead of getting rid of my skimmer.
THis was excellent advice since my skimmer is really pulling a lot of junk.
Here are some pics.

In this picture you can see the bubbles. If I close a little bit more the air valve bubbles will get smaller and I´ll have a steadier amount of bubbles rising, because right now there is still some turbulence in the bubble chamber, but the skimmate I´m getting is really good the way it is now so I think there´s no reason to play with it if I have already found that "sweet spot".

What do you guys think??
BTW, I´m very pleased with the skimmer now, and trust me, if your skimmer isn´t working as it should, you need a bigger pump.
Old 04/15/2006, 04:58 PM
Proud reefaholic

BTW, the 1" injector just arrived 3 days ago.
Do you think I should install it or should I stay with the 3/4?
Old 04/15/2006, 05:11 PM
Proud reefaholic

THis is my tank,
Sorry for my poor photo skills.
Acroporas look really nicer than in the photo, but you´ll get the idea.
Thanks!
Old 04/15/2006, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

hmm, i posted that the eheim would be tuesday, but low and behold, I walk out my door to leave for work tonight, and there sits a box delivered by fedex from drsfosterandsmith.. I'm like WoW, the tracking info said tuesday, but I'm not complaining.
We'll see what she does with the eheim instead of the Sen.
The sen had plenty power and then some though. A lot more than the eheim as far as water level in skimmer, I didnt' have time to play with it much, but have it turned on trying to get the eheim coated to start its "break in".
NOte the water level without restriction is about half way up,
The sen without restriction was blowing out the top, but once got to making foam would do fine for a 12 hours then suddenly stop foaming without touching it or the tank.

Leapordshark, NICE TANK!!! You may want to make sure that skimmer is level...
Old 04/15/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Ev-240 rocks

I have about 300 gallons total system volume with an ev-240 run off a panworld 100px. I have removed the air intake ball valve. I have the intake to the skimmer pump t'd into the drain outlet in my sump so it gets 100% raw overflow water. Best mod I've ever done! Now I can very consistent foam even with the water level far lower than the internal platform. I actually raise the water level up toward the end of a cleaning cycle to try to postpone cleaning and it still works great.
Old 04/15/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone ever tried an external pump on an ev 120 skimmer instead of a submersible? I have a Panworld pressure rated pump collecting dust in the basement. I think it pumps about 600 gallons per hour. I guess the problem would be plumbing it to my sump? Mark
Old 04/15/2006, 09:06 PM
Proud reefaholic

Quote:
[i]

Leapordshark, NICE TANK!!! You may want to make sure that skimmer is level... [/B]
Hi, thanks!
You mean because the skimmer is leaning to the right? Will it affect it´s performance?
Thanks!
Old 04/15/2006, 09:18 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Leopardshark....That's a stunning looking tank you've got going there. Congrats! The skimmer looks great now too! Mine leans a little also (not as bad) and the bubbles don't seem to mind. (yours don't seem to care either ) I am working on a plan to correct mine from leaning anyway.

Folks, the ev180 project is slightly delayed. My apt. owners switched management recently, and took a 5 min walkthrough everyones apartments last week. This happened when I was about to do a leak test on the new sump. So I put it in the closet, and tidied up last weekend instead. (pheeeeww, I thought they would tell me the 180tank has to go.)
So I finally get it running today after work, and the genX pcx30 is too loud and powerfull for this skimmer and cabnet sump application. And it was my cleanest plumbing work ever too, oh well. I'm ordering a Panworld 40PX-MD20R, tonite from Premium Aquatics, and I think that should solve my problem. It's the equivalent of an Iwaki MD 20RLT which both Premium and Reefgeek recommend for the ev180.
I'm dreaming of adding 4" or so to the riser (I have some spare 5" acrylic tube) if the new pump can push it. I'll test it out as is of course, but I may need you guys to hold me back later.

printedpaper, I just checked Premium Aquatics and Reefgeek, and they both recommend the MD 20RLT for both the ev120 and ev180.

Last edited by CaptainCoral; 04/15/2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04/15/2006, 09:29 PM
Proud reefaholic

Hi Captain,
Thanks for your comments regarding my tank, actually there are a lot more corals (frags) that you can´t on the pic, because it was taken from a distant point in order to get the full tank shot.
But I have many nice acros in there, echinatas, blue yonguey, etc.
Ok, so I´m gonna level my skimmer, it´s gonna be easy as I only need a little piece of PVC to prevent it from leaning.
BTW, how come the administrators can come into your aptment and ask you to get rid of the tank?
BTW, on your pump issue, can you just "tee" the pump you have and use the unused exit for some other thing?
THanks
Old 04/15/2006, 09:45 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Yeah, I guess I could feed the fuge with some of the extra waterflow, but it is louder than the pcx40 running the ev400. It's just too loud, I'll find a use for it in a couple years when I'm moved into a house.

The owners of the apartment complex switched management a couple months ago. They claimed they were looking for structural issues due to water damage etc, to see who had vaulted ceilings, pets, etc. I'm sure that I just got a little paranoid, but at some point I would think, they would have to consider it a risk to have renters with large tanks. I have all of this stuff in only a one bedroom apt, and was certain I'd be viewed as a freak with another tank project going on the kitchen table. heheh
Old 04/15/2006, 09:52 PM
Proud reefaholic

Ohh, I get it.
BTW, I fixed the level issue. It just took me about 30 secs to find (I was lucky I accept it) a piece or PVC that had the exact sice to hold the skimmer in place so I wouldn´t lean.
I have no idea as to how this will help the skimmer but it´s the proof that I trust you guys with your advice :-P
Marco
Old 04/15/2006, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

well, i said that, because i've noticed a trend in peoples eV's that didn't work up to snuff, and that was a major thing that stood out.
That and using a mag pump.
I'm anxious to get home, to see how the eheim is doing.
I called roommate earlier to verify that wasn't flooding the living room, an event with the sen 900 i don't' care to repeat.
and she said looked " like a medium boil" about 2 " above the box, which when I left, it was like the air was cut off with having dosed selcon and vitachem.
I thank fedex for the sat delivery even though tracking was coming Tuesday, I didn't' pay for sat delivery.
I wish I had time to play with it before coming to work, but without work there wouldn't' be any reef in my house or house to have one in.

But, on another note, I did get the sen900 working before switching it, and it put out as much skimmate in a couple hours as the asm g3 did in 24 hours... Although the ev's skim was more darker but also more watery.. Definitely not the same type of skimmate. I ponder what the difference is in what its taking out and reasoning to it.
Old 04/16/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

ozone has improved my EV
Old 04/16/2006, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ti
ozone has improved my EV
It has, according to aqua-c website, it states it help clear the water, but only use it occassionally as it will reduce your skimmer output??
Old 04/16/2006, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

it has
Old 04/16/2006, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

OH, preliminary judgement of Eheim 1262 on the ev180, WOW what a difference...
Its noticeably weaker output compared to the sen 900, noticeably more than the qo 4000 though as far as how well it pushes water, The sen can't compete with the skimming though.
But one thing about it, it starts producing Foam a LOT faster and more consistent than either of those 2 other pumps.
Kilaw says eheim is using 51 watts when running the ev-180 fwiw.

Granted the eheim costs a good deal more than either the sen or qo or mag9.5 but after seeing it in action.. and NOT hearing it... Also, temp of tank isn't as hard to keep down as with the Sen.
Therefore costing even less to operate since not having to run the fan near as much.
Just have to say in regards to the Eheim 1262/ev180 combo... if you're even thinking about getting a 1262 for it.. DO IT!!
IF you're not liking your ev180.. check your air and water injectors... if they're clean and good, try the Eheim. Even if don't like it after EHEIM, you'll find another use for it..
Yes the eheim costs about 56% more, but i see why deltec and h&s uses EHEIMs now.
I haven't produced the gallon a week yet, but that foam after 24 hours of being plugged in, wow.
I also want to reiterate that I pulled the sen off that was loud, plugged the eheim in its place without changing anything and can't hear it... Now what's loud is the water coming from the skimmer falling back into my makeshift media filter, instead of the pump.
and yes, I thought I was crazy spending that on the pump initially, especially considering pump already had was stronger.
Old 04/16/2006, 06:01 PM
Proud reefaholic

I use ozone with my aquac, IMO using ozone is a great aid to have crystal clear water. If your skimmer produces less skimmate it´s ok, because the ozone is taking care of what the skimmer is not taking out.
BTW, my ozonizer is controlled by my Aquacontroller II, and I only use a 50mgr unit and my ORP is around 400mv.
Marco
Old 04/16/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

EHeim FTW!
Old 04/16/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Rob --

keep posting reports about Eheim ... I'm about to acquire one of this to replace my Mag9 ...

Mazurque
Old 04/16/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mazurque
Rob --

keep posting reports about Eheim ... I'm about to acquire one of this to replace my Mag9 ...

Mazurque
just do it.
U won't regret it
Old 04/16/2006, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

ok, TI, FTW??? I know a lot of acronyms, but this one isn't in my repertoire.
Old 04/16/2006, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

ok, is if For the Win?
Old 04/16/2006, 09:02 PM
Jammin' with live rock

It means "$%^& the world"
Old 04/16/2006, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

thanks capt, can't see the relation for the context other than the higher price point.

Oh, remembered reasoning to level the ev..
if is off down on the exit side, it pulls the water out, making have to counter by using gate valve. and if the other it creates a slight restriction.
either way, it makes have to get the foam higher to catch the whole cylinder to get it to go up.