Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2006, 05:45 PM
Moved On

I miss the good ol days with Dr. J
Old 01/23/2006, 06:01 PM
Moved Onward

Chris,

You read my mind! I was going to point out, "Screw MJ, Kobe still isn't in Dr. J's league"! But then again, most of these guys never seen him play.

Roland

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 01/23/2006, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kewliz
Cause unlike his wife, I didn't receive a $5 million dollar diamond necklace.
1st of all it was a ring.

And those of you that dont know the game, and only watch and rely on sports analyst for a game recap u have no idea what sports are and are full of it. All they do is critize someones game in every sport ranging from table tennis to football.

If u understand the game and love it you would realize what he accomplished last night.<---Dude!!!!! last night why dont u guys go and do a google search<--Since that all u guys do, to c all what hes accomplished!!!!

And for those of you who keep comparing Kobe to Jordan "Get off jordans nutz already!"

New generations will not be able to enjoy Jordan greatness but can witness some thing as entertaining!!!!

Kobe goes in and does his jobe everynight regardless!!! Enough said! Hes is not being paid millions to make others better. How the hell did his teamate get into the NBA??!!!!!<--They have to be good dont they, then they need to man up and play for the millions they make.<--Dont need Kobe for this. Thats what the summer is for though if they want to be like Kobe!!!!!!!!!!

I just cant beleive how many Kobe haters there are here in So Cal its drives me insane!

I just know some of u in ur lifetime will bandwagon on in once Kobe keeps achieving the things hes doing.

MODS LOCK THIS!!! I just wrecked this!!!!!

I can c some of u now.

google:Kobes achievments blah blah blah

2nd google search: Jordan achievment blah blah blah

Compares

Well u c.................--> Me telling hater Plz go kick some rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01/23/2006, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dangle
And to inject a little reef related topic into this thread before the mods shut it down
I think the mods won't shut it down. It's just been a good healthy debate about a team we ALL care about. We just don't agree about Kobe. Everyone have been respectful and getting their points without being hostile.

AND I still don't think Kobe is all that. Yeah, he's no way MJ level or even Dr. J. Maybe just getting to the Scottie Pippen range.

GO LAKERS!
Old 01/23/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

If yall respect the lakers respect KOBE!

Kobe is the Lakers for the time being.

Shaq Diesel I love da man!

Maybe everyone in So Cal should have donated some dough to the Lakers org. to keep em. Then again wed need all that plus more!

Kobe is Kobe

Jordan is Jordan

Two differnet personas and both have different tactics for being great at the game.

REEF ON SOCAL!!!!!!!!WOOOOT!
Old 01/23/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyDDS
Maybe just getting to the Scottie Pippen range.

GO LAKERS!

Ouch baby very ouch!
Old 01/23/2006, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
If yall respect the lakers respect KOBE!

Kobe is the Lakers for the time being.

Shaq Diesel I love da man!
IMO, you don't have to respect Kobe just because you like the Lakers. Personally I hate Kobe, but I love the Lakers.

Kobe's a great player. Mad props to him and his great accomplishments. He brings great a great work ethic to the Lakers and I can respect his desire to improve his team.

That does not mean that I have to like him though.

GO LAKERS!!
Old 01/23/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TypeSH
IMO, you don't have to respect Kobe just because you like the Lakers. Personally I hate Kobe, but I love the Lakers.

Kobe's a great player. Mad props to him and his great accomplishments. He brings great a great work ethic to the Lakers and I can respect his desire to improve his team.

That does not mean that I have to like him though.

GO LAKERS!!
?????? Shrugs
Old 01/23/2006, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

KOBE KOBE KOBE!

anyone try the steak though :/ ?????
Old 01/23/2006, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamone
KOBE KOBE KOBE!

anyone try the steak though :/ ?????
It was $175 per steak, but well worth it!!!
Old 01/23/2006, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

sup brian!

watcha doin this weekend?

I have some rics to frag.......if you wanna trade
me for anything you have.

Johnson
Old 01/24/2006, 04:13 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by TypeSH

GO LAKERS!!
Ditto!!!

All lot of you guys probably loved Rodman the minute he put on a Lakers uniform as well! I can't stand Artest but he might end up a Laker and yes, he'll most likely make them a much better team but I'll still despise him! I got to admit, I've always liked Malone's game even though he was an archrival and I was really glad to see him put on a Laker uniform! Had he not got hurt in the Finals a couple years ago, I doubt Lakers lose that series. Malone is one of those "Greats" that make his team play better. I guess you all easily forgot how bad Kobe stunk it up in that Final!

I root for the Lakers, not for Kobe to score a gazillion points! But as of right now, I guess that's all we have to look forward too since this team won't be going anywhere.

Old 01/24/2006, 04:18 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyDDS
I think the mods won't shut it down. It's just been a good healthy debate about a team we ALL care about.
Funny thing is, if this Kobe thread does get shut down, it'll most likely be because of the Kobe lovers! I know people get really upset when you mess with their favorite player! Heck, I still defend Montana as the greatest QB ever and many others will say Marino or Bradshaw!

Old 01/24/2006, 10:18 AM
Fish Addict

Montana? He commits two sins IMO...he's a niner AND a golden domer.

Seriously, I think that Young was better. Young in his prime was as good of a passer and a much, much more dangerous runner.

Bradshaw...no way. Not in their league.

Marino never won the big one, but definitely an awesome career.

Single season....Warner's Super Bowl year is tough to beat.
Old 01/24/2006, 10:49 AM
Rubberman

Are the niners still in the league?

SteveU
Old 01/24/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
I guess you all easily forgot how bad Kobe stunk it up in that Final!

I root for the Lakers, not for Kobe to score a gazillion points! But as of right now, I guess that's all we have to look forward too since this team won't be going anywhere.
No, no, no, you're not getting it. For most we don't root for Kobe to score a gazillion points although this season it seems thats what it takes for the Lakers to win more often than not. I think we're all Laker fans and right now, Kobe IS the Lakers. He's the only one who shows up EVERY game and plays his hardest and wants to win. The only others on the team who I think shows efforts every game is Mihm and Sasha, the rest are just too inconsistant so it's up to Kobe to score. Last Mondays game I was thinking too myself I would not have blamed Kobe for taking himself out in the second half with an "injury" out of frustration, thats how bad they were. But being the competitor he is, he goes and scores 55 in the half and brings the win. Thats why I like KB.

And as for that 'stinking up the Finals', yes he didn't play well, no one did. But Larry Brown himself said the key to winning was shutting down Kobe, that's what they did. Maybe if Shaq could have put a little more effort into it we could have won it. I know thats what Tex Winters thought!
Old 01/24/2006, 11:13 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
Montana? He commits two sins IMO...he's a niner AND a golden domer.

Seriously, I think that Young was better. Young in his prime was as good of a passer and a much, much more dangerous runner.
And the beat goes on!
I always said and keep saying, had the 49ers not made the bonehead mistake of trading their best player at the time(Montana), the Niners would've won at least 2 more SuperBowls instead of just the one that Young gave them and that was only because the Niners had to buy a team(ala Yankees) in order to do so. As you can see, I didn't like Young either.lol One of the most overrated QB's of all time and I'm a Niner fan. With all the high draft picks we've been getting, the glory days are soon to come!

Old 01/24/2006, 11:18 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by dangle
And as for that 'stinking up the Finals', yes he didn't play well, no one did. But Larry Brown himself said the key to winning was shutting down Kobe, that's what they did. Maybe if Shaq could have put a little more effort into it we could have won it. I know thats what Tex Winters thought!
Shaq was the only Laker scoring in that Finals. He would've scored more had Kobe given up the rock more. And with all the bricks Kobe was firing up, he should've dished it out more. Shaq could've really used Malone in that series instead of a ballhog. See, even when great talent was around him, Kobe refused to pass it off. Always wanting to make the shot himself!
Like I mentioned above, Lakers could've possibly won 2 more rings with Shaq still around and instead, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 01/24/2006, 11:43 AM
Fish Addict

Quote:
With all the high draft picks we've been getting, the glory days are soon to come!
Dude, you'll be lucky if Alex Smith knows his own name at the end of the season. He's getting hit so hard and already has a hard time making decisions....
Old 01/24/2006, 11:53 AM
Moved Onward

Smith was a horrible pick and player! I know that! But at least we beat the Lambs twice this past season!
Niners should've drafted down last year but they don't have a smart front office like they used too. Eddie DeBartalo, where are you!!!!

Old 01/24/2006, 11:56 AM
Fish Addict

Oh the lambs....there is torture for a fan personified. What is wrong with that defense? OK back on topic.

GO LAKERS!
Old 01/24/2006, 12:22 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
Bradshaw...no way. Not in their league.
Tell that to die-hard Bradshaw fans! They will defend him to the end just like you Kobe lovers.
One more note on Monatana! What he did with his first Superbowl team, if you guys can remember that long ago, would be equivalent to Kobe winning the Championship with the team he has now. He had nobody around him except a slow WR who had a knack for getting open, probably because DB's never saw him as a threat. He didn't have a RB to turn to and a "D" that consisted of rookies and no namers. It was definitely the "One Man Show, Joe"! Ok, enough about football and back to basketball.

Chuck - I think you mentioned awhile back how MJ had Steve Kerr. Funny how Kerr was pretty much a journeyman player until he met up with MJ and all of a sudden his game elevated. Great players make others better around him.

Kobe is already considered a great player by many but it'd be nice to see him win one w/o the help of Shaq.
I remember when the league used to say how poor Scottie Pippen didn't get his props because he was shadowed by MJ and they were calling Pippen the 2nd best player in the league. Well, when MJ left to have fun on the baseball diamond, you'd think the 2nd best player would now be the #1 player in the league but it just didn't happen as so, did it? PIppen couldn't win w/o MJ just like Kobe won't win one w/o Shaq or a player equivalent of Deisel.
BTW, I'm no MJ fan! I single-handedly blame him for the type of basketbal we see today because everyone wants "To Be Like Mike". To much "I" in basketball today.

Old 01/24/2006, 01:16 PM
reef supply website owner

81 pts... UNREAL

I dont know how many of you have played bball competitively, but to score 81 pts, at that high of a level of competition, during this day and age, is PLAIN SICK!!

Kobe bashers think he is a ball hog...have you seen his supporting cast? When you shoot 60%, you should shoot every shot.

I too get frustrated with Kobe sometimes shooting the ball too much, but really, he has no supporting cast, and the Raptor game was proof.

They were down by 17 in second half...and that is when Kobe said, enough is enough...we win with me shooting or we dont win at all....guess what, THEY WON!!!

I dont care if it was against the Raptors, I dont care if it was against the worse defensive team in the NBA... you dont see Wade, Shaq, McGrady, Iverson.. or ANYONE for that matter score 81 pts against them DO YOU!!

Lets face it.. Kobe is by far the most prolific scorer in the NBA today, and to say he is NO MJ, well, that is wrong, but also right... he is NO MJ, but MJ was no KOBE either.

MJ had his off the court flaws (gambling, adultry, his dad's death??) ..so you guys put Jordan on a pedestal like he did nothing wrong..but he did...

Still, Jordan played in an era where defenses HAD to play man to man, and offenses were ALLOWED to isolate him on the wing and go one on one without ANY help...

Bottom line... Kobe Bryant's performance last night was unreal, and probably the greatest accomplishment by an individual player in this modern era. Love or hate the guy, at least admit that!!

Kobe for MVP... lets see..without him on the team, Lakers are?? yah, you got it... the worst team in the NBA!!

And dont even try and think Pippen is anywhere near the player Kobe is...Scottie was an excellent wingman for Jordan.. without Jordan, Pippen accomplished NOTHING... he is nowhere near the scorer Kobe is...nowhere near the talent Kobe is.. but Scottie definitely is one of the top players of all time.

Kobe, LeBron, Michael, Magic, Larry, Wilt, Shaq, Abdul Jabbar, etc etc.. these guys are head and shoulders above any of the other NBA players during their prime. They are trend setters, they are the cream of the crop.

Ok, I am out of breath..

G
Old 01/24/2006, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ditto!!!

All lot of you guys probably loved Rodman the minute he put on a Lakers uniform as well!
Could never stand Rodman. He was originally a Piston! Always hated that Piston team during the late 80's.
Old 01/24/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

the only reason shaq scored "so much" was because they focused the defense on kobe while leaving shaq covered by one piston. Also, shaq rarely got in good position(due to laziness and conditioning) where he could get the ball to score. The rest of the lakers sucked too so they couldn't get shaq the ball. Payton? Non-existent. If shaq wanted the ball, maybe he should take it upon himself to actually get some rebounds during that season.