Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

I also have this kind of algae in my propagation tank. It is connected to the main tank with a large return pump.
I don't have this algae in the main tank, only in the prop.

The tanks have the same water, flow, algae-eaters etc. The only big difference is lighting. The main tank is MH and the propagation is T5 only.

If I place rocks with this algae from the propagation-tank into the main tank the algae disappear within a week.

Can it be caused by the T5 lighting? I don't know... Any ideas or experiences?

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 12/27/2007, 01:27 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Interesting Leonardo...The tank with the worst algae issue is under T-5's. I was also told that the eggcrate leaches P04's too, but mine are low per both tests..What bulb configuration are you running?
Old 12/27/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Thats intersting about the egg creates, How much phospate would my starboard leach into the tank? Is the tank barebottom Eric? do you have any buildup of detritus in the tank?

Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/27/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

No eggcrate in my propagation-tank, just some LR and coral frags (also on pieces of LR)

I run

2 ATI Blue+
2 KZ Corallight
1 D&D actinic+
1 D&D True actinic

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 12/27/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Well check this out the past i knew of several people one being Hugo that had there frag tank connected to there main tank and had nasty algea growth but not like one you see in your pix Eric.What im getting at is i also have my frag sys connected to my main system and lighting mh and have now noticed a large increased in algea growth where the main system is almost clean
Old 12/27/2007, 02:39 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
Thats intersting about the egg creates, How much phospate would my starboard leach into the tank? Is the tank barebottom Eric? do you have any buildup of detritus in the tank?

Michael
Mike, I have 2" of sand in the 150g system. I am going to gravel vac it today and do amjor cleaning of the powerheads.

I noticed that it seems to do good in high flow and warm areas. It grows on the powerheads, returns and overflow teeth??

I also noticed that it is not as bad on the Metal Halide side of the tank?

In the 300g system ( 3 - 100g tanks, all plumbed together) 2 have a shallow corase gravel bed and 1 tank has the starboard. This tank is not bad but I see it starting to grow....
Old 12/27/2007, 02:42 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo's Reef
No eggcrate in my propagation-tank, just some LR and coral frags (also on pieces of LR)

I run

2 ATI Blue+
2 KZ Corallight
1 D&D actinic+
1 D&D True actinic

Leonardo
Maybe the T-5's might be contributing to a portion of the algae??
Old 12/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejocam
Interesting Leonardo...The tank with the worst algae issue is under T-5's. I was also told that the eggcrate leaches P04's too, but mine are low per both tests..What bulb configuration are you running?
It's not from the RN products Eric. If it where, and over dosing was occuring, you'd have elevated nutrient levels

The new eggcrate is indeed your problem. Buy acrylic in the future. While it is 2x as costly, you won't see such badproblems with it. The non acrylic leaches PO4 locally. I doubt a test would come up with any in your tank, but if you soaked the EC in a small amount of RODI and tested, I bet you'd see it

FWIW, I just swapped out my eggcrate two weeks ago with the non acrylic stuff and the same DIATOM (had it ID'd by our resident phycologist) bloom as you. I used it as at one time we bought 50 cases of the stuff for our oyster farm and still have a few cases left. needless to say, I ahve a cases fo the acrylic on the way@!
Old 12/27/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Well, after talking to you just now on the phone, I can't say what the problem is other then what I think it's not

I'm bringing another sample of the algae in and see what I can find out about it, it's life cycle and what we might be able to do to control it. It does seem to like higher flow (or at least in my tank). Elevated MG doesn't seem to effect it (killed my valonia though )
Old 12/27/2007, 03:52 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Well, after talking to you just now on the phone, I can't say what the problem is other then what I think it's not

I'm bringing another sample of the algae in and see what I can find out about it, it's life cycle and what we might be able to do to control it. It does seem to like higher flow (or at least in my tank). Elevated MG doesn't seem to effect it (killed my valonia though )
Thanks Gresham........I'm off to scrub down the tank!
Old 12/27/2007, 05:20 PM
Madrepore Zealot

Re: Nasty Algae Issue, need input please

Quote:
Originally posted by ejocam
Where is the stuff coming from!

The eggcrate is brand new in the system
Eggcrate always did this to me. It leaches something, phosphates most likely. I don't think you can measure them though as they are bound in the water column.

Did you have the dinos prior to the eggcrate.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

I have this same algae in one of my tanks and never had it until I switched to only T5's...seems like there must be some sort of correlation
Old 12/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

GreshamEric Mine is like yours low nutrient warter and high flow. Eric the one thing about mine is that I have T5's (4) but i also have 2 400w MH
Old 12/27/2007, 09:40 PM
My tank is too full

So what the is difference between the phosphates we test for with our kits and organic phosphates? Could the eggcrate be leaching organics or be stimulating some type of organic phoshate bloom that does not show up in our kits?

To thine own self be true
Old 12/27/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Im having the EXACT thing going on that Jose Casas explained. My display is fine but the eggcrate in my frag tank keeps growing a green algae... I was going to do a big cleaning tonight, I think Ill ditch the eggcrate and see what happens... Ill let you guys know...
Old 12/28/2007, 12:29 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

Look what I found in my 300g system The back of the Vortech somehow got chipped and it rusted. I wonder how long this has been going on This doesn't explain the algae in the 150g system though. I just got some Tuxedo Urchins and slapped some Polyfilters on all 3 systems along with some PhosR. I'll keep you guys posted. After finding this I am going to go through everything again....

Old 12/28/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Wow that is nasty and how long have u been using the vortec pump??
Old 12/28/2007, 02:05 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

JOse, I've been using them for about 2 years or so. That last time I cleaned it out was about 4 months ago and it was fine. We'll see what the Polyfilter pulls out. I'm sure getting this rust out of the system will help out. It better !
Old 12/28/2007, 06:50 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Good detective work Eric, I'm gonna check my Vortech now, hopefully this isn't a engineering issue with the Vortech that is universal??
Old 12/28/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

kev apsley
[/B]
Quote:
Good detective work Eric, I'm gonna check my Vortech now, hopefully this isn't a engineering issue with the Vortech that is universal??

you are dead on this pump is not going to do very well long term as I have mine a year now and it has given more problems then a asked for. it is turning out to be a $400 PAPER WEIGHT. I will give them a call today and ask how much the replacement part is. I also hav ethe same problem Eric lots of algea in the tank that looks just like yours and I am starting to belive that this is the core problem> rust in the tank is a very bad thing.
Can anyone out there tell us what rust in an SPS tank will do? I have been battaling light colors and lots of algea. here is a picture of my votech as you can see it also has started to rust up and cuase a bubble on the magnet wet side. AHHHHHHHHHH hate this thing sould have bought a tunze. I will keep everyone posted.
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/28/2007, 10:23 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Not sure, but rust= iron oxide, correct? Iron is a great plant food, and algae are plants........
Old 12/28/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Eric,
Last year i had the same problem with rust. Ecotech replace one for me without any problem for FREE.

m
Old 12/28/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

YEA right I called them this morning and they told me that it will cost $45 PLUS SHIPPING FOR MY PARTS.
Michael
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/28/2007, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

I wish I could say I hadn't seen that before Eric Thing is, I have the same thing going on and no Vortech. I checked all my Tunzes and Eheims amd they are all fine. I dragged a magnet around the areas in my tanks I can't see, hoping a screw would pop up and I could chalk it all up to that
Old 12/28/2007, 01:25 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by kev apsley
You know Keving sometimes we get to laxed and try to just stoll along and overlook minor things. Sometimes it takes a good kick in the rear end to do what we should have done long ago...

Today is part 2 of the detective and maintanence. Hopefully I do not find anything else

Hope you and your tank are on the path to recovery bud