Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Which size Koralia would fit best for 10g?
1200 sounds really high flow for mine i think.
I was planning for the nano type 240gph.

10glNano
Old 11/16/2007, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

This may seem redundant, but if you can only use "some" zoom, then how are people taking such amazing macros...special lenses? The idea behind cropping makes sense.

I love onyx with Rose BTAs. How large are they now..? How large is that Rose? Speaking of cameras...how bout some recent: Close up pics man!!

I want to see how those two cuties have colored up!
Old 11/16/2007, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

If u have a SLR machine and a tripod there should be no problem i think. My machine has very nice macro mode but the auto focus sucks due to glass and water, also it does not have manuel focus. So whenever i wanna work macro it focuses sth else and i have to try several times to get the right one.

10glNano
Old 11/16/2007, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

Abso- They make nano Koralias as well. What are you keeping? If I remember correctly you have a DSB right? My tank is bare bottom and dedicated to alot of future SPS, so the idea in this instance is to create alot of 'swirling' flow without any deadspots. A couple of the nano ones might work well in your setup.

I was thinking an SLR with a nice manually adjustable lense would be the ticket. The problem is that it's not in the stars right now.. The other thing is simply this, there are plenty of people taking great pictures- and great macros with far inferior digis than the one I own..so I attribute it all to operator error at this point...
Old 11/16/2007, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

K i am ordering 2xnano

10glNano
Old 11/16/2007, 04:16 AM
TRC Leader

Honestly, they just look like normal clowns. I don't see any reason to believe they are onyx, but that doesn't matter to me because I don't get hung up on that stuff. Give me a true percula any day.

The cyano in my system is one of the reasons I've not been posting too many pictures.

And about zooming, if you get everything else worked out properly, you can zoom in more. There are simply limits that have to be accepted. Some people pay for extra lenses with better macro abliities. I have some filters (1x, 2x and 3x) that I can screw onto an extension tube. I only use them occasionally, as they are basically magnification lenses and can cause distortion.

You could go crazy and buy one of the ogles devices. http://www.ogles.info/
Old 11/16/2007, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

That's pretty cool for some of our spendier folks..
Old 11/16/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

I Got the D-80 Nikon with a macro lens and i feel like i can take pretty much anything i want (within my skills). But like eveything else, there is always a better lens always a better camera always a bigger tank. So get something you are comfortable with and stick with it.

If you check my red house you can see the difference between my old Cam and my new one.

You will also see the dark road my tank took this summer

Oh yeah and your hermit didnt die, it shed.

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/16/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

blackheart- hmmm....I was trying to remember if I had actually put another red leg or scarlet in the tank. You're probably right because he was pretty stationary for a whole day. I had a couple of Sally Lite Foots in my old reef that used to shed all the time- you'd think I would have known that...

Sorry to hear about your Valonia troubles- man that stuff is nasty. God I think that's uglier than a tank overrun with bryopsis. My old reef became overrun with Caulerpa Racemosa. Don't even ask what I had to do to get rid of that stuff...you won't like the answer. Your tank was looking so nice too...

My Rod's Onyx clowns are here and acclimating as I type. All five look good, but one in particular came in mondo stressed, so I hope he makes it.

Last edited by InsaneClownFish; 11/16/2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Well your a good dad so i am sure you will do all you can try to put the cap on you koralia to shoot the flow straight up while they aclimate into the tank if they are stressed. Then when they chill out you can take it off and let the flow stream in all its directions. Cant wait to see them in the tank!!

Are you going to QT even though they are the only things in the tank?

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 11/16/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

blackheart- Thankfully the Korallia, while powerful, is a more gentle swirling flow throughout. Right at the outlet it is pretty rough, but they'd have to be the dumbest clowns to swim right at it.

This was one of my first questions to Rod about whether they could handle the flow right off the bat, and he was telling me alot about his experience with baby clowns in his surge tank..

They're all from the same source and no other fish are going in or out- or have yet to be in the system. They're all going right in. I don't feel like moving my pseudo outta quarantine..
Old 11/16/2007, 11:12 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

pics!!!!??? lol
Old 11/16/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Those clowns will be awesome. As far as the pics go...you will get your sharpest shots when you don't use any zoom. Try this...start with the lense zoomed all the way out. Start taking pics at the farthest setting and gradually zoom in on the coral you are trying to focus on. Take a picture everytime you zoom in. You will be able to see when it's too close. Do that same thing for all the corals or whatever you are photographing. Once you get the pictures into photoshop or whatever you use to crop them, you can zoom in and see which shots turned out the clearest. You should have fairly sharp shots of all your corals using this method.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/16/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/16/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/16/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/16/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Wow they are small. Beautiful fish though.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:01 AM
TRC Leader

Looks like that tank lacks oxygen. Only one fish is still afloat.

Congrats! They look adorable.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Although I am very sad today. Before I left for work I could only find 4. I can't find the midget one I named "Button."

They're such fantastic fish with such amazing personality already. They stuck to the bottom for a short period of time to get used to the crazy flow. They eat like lil madmen, I've fed them cyclopeeze, mysis, and flake so far. I'm guessing twice daily is best for now. They'll get a different food each time they eat. Although I did notice little Button wasn't able to digest the mysis yet. We'll see if he's just a really masterful hider when I get home tonight.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:46 PM
TRC Leader

I hope all 5 are fine.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Check the sump, you'd be surprised at what can end up down there. Hope the little guys ok though.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I hope so too. I'm going to go over the sump with a flashlight when I get home. I looked in the sump but I really didn't have time to go over every inch. This lil guy is tiny. The problem is if he did find his way into the sump there's the huge intake on the Sedra 3500 right there..
Old 11/17/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully he's not skimmate, that would be terrible. Check in between the baffles too. Let us know what happens
Old 11/18/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

I swear I'll never go swimming in the sump again Dad! Found him!

Thanks for the advice pbukow. Just as I was about to give up searching my sump tonight this lil bugger pops up in my sump return.

My sump is pretty open...he is that tiny..

I put him back in the tank and the other four immediately started swimming around him..they were kinda like..."and you were where now?"

I'm thinking about putting some mesh over the skimmer pump and the return pump so if one of these lil buggers goes sump diving again they won't get sucked in...anyone see any issues with this?