Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

They are rumoured to but it probably varies from fish to fish.

Some of the yellow bellied regals have also nibbled corals, particularly soft ones. My one took a liking to one particular soft coral (which is now in another tank) but has ignored other soft corals.

Steve
Old 10/10/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

In general, if they are going to nip, they tend to do it on polyp types (zoos, platys, etc). Some are also softie and LPS nippers and a small number tend to be SPS nippers.
I, too, believe it is simply a variance with the individual fish and nothing to do with the locale they were collected in.
Old 10/10/2007, 04:16 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Thumbs up

nosferatu51-
Awesome pic of a very nice Indo regal, beautiful fish.

Old Yeller Tang-
Great group shot there, thats a beautiful Indian regal.

I really like both of the color patterns of this species, this thread is one of the best ever IMO. Great looking fish folks.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

It's now been 2 months since I got mine. Perfect citizen so far, leaving all of my lps, sps and zoos alone and eating everything I throw in.

Old 10/11/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

I've had my Pacific Regal for 2 years now. He's always been the boss of the tank, but may soon have to share this spot with a Hippo Tang and a Yellowtail Angel. The Hippo is 2.5 years old and was about 1.5 inches when I got it and is now almost as big as the Regal. The Yellowtail is about 1.5 years in the system and has grown about 1/3 in size and is almost as big as the Regal which is about 6 inches now. The important thing here is that while the Regal has grown since I've had it, it's grown very little compared to nearly all my other fish. It eats relatively well, having a big preference for ON Formula 2 and frozen clams, and a moderate preference for other stuff (I generally only use frozen food), such as ON Angel, Bloodworms, etc. I think in general people are doing better with Regals on account of better system performance, improved collecting and information sharing (such as this thread). But, I wouldn't get too complacent if you've had some short term success. I've also noted that to this day my Regal remains quite finicky. Some days he ignores me when I feed the fish, others he comes right up when I approach the top of the tank and goes to town eating, often chasing others away. Food preferences tend to wax and wane, with the exception of ON Formula II (I think I owe a lot to ON for this formulation!). In comparison, the Yellowtail, while not nearly as colourful, is so easy going (puts up with a lot of stick from the Regal) and is so easy to feed (it will eat literally anything), that I've become almost more attached to it as the Regal is no end of stress!
Old 10/11/2007, 08:05 AM
Keeper of Tangs

very good info rondelet!
Old 10/11/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Again it comes down to individual fish.

Mine is not quite as pushy as some of the other fish in my tank (I.e. it seldon crashes into my hand at feeding time) but it does eat, with great enthusiasm, everything the others eat.

It was slow at first and spent the first week just nibbling round the back of the tank but over about a month it learned that if the other fish were interested in something then it should be to.

Steve
Old 10/11/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Mine attacks food now when I put it in the tank. I'm feeding a lot of Marine C? It's sponge like to them, I think that's what they state. He now eats everything I throw in the tank.
He comes out, but not like my Hippo Tang. He's still skittish though. He seems to be pushing my Lamark angel around, before it was opposite.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:41 PM
More than meets the eye

Marine C?
Old 10/12/2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I think it's made by Hikari?
But it is Marine A, not C. Sorry
Old 10/24/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Is a regal's diet just SPS polyps? I was ready to order this fish, but after talking with my LFS I am now hesistant. The owner of the LFS I spoke to say their primary diet is polyps from SPS; is this true? This is one of the main reason why he only custom orders them, but then he really doesnt want to order it, as most tanks do not have the proper diet that the Regal requires (or so he says).

The majority of my 375 gallon tank is LPS with one crocea clam. I want to order the delicate fish first to get them established.

So my question is: Is there any truth to his statement??

Can one successfully keep a Regal angelfish in a tank that does NOT have SPS. If so, what food do you feed them??

thanks
Kirk
Old 10/25/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

To put it politely, your LFS is way wrong.

The main diet of Regal angels is not sps polyps. He must have them confused with either butterfly fish or some of the file fish seen in the hobby. I"ve been keeping my Red Sea/IO Regal in an SPS tank for over a year now. No munching on my SPS or my two clams. Some have had them go after SPS and clams, but the majority of people who have been successful with them state the Regal tends to go after Zooanthids, sponges, and soft corals if anything....

I know this is a long thread, but read it and you'll pick up some good information.

Nick
Old 10/25/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Maxx,

I've followed this thread for years, and felt really comfortable and confident with my decision before I had the conversation with my LFS. Hence my question, more of a sanity check.

What do you feed your Regal ??
Old 10/25/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Thought I remembered you being on this thread somewhere....just wasnt gonna read through all 60 something pages to be sure....

I primarily feed her blanched/wilted broccoli florets..., but she also greedily takes mysis, mysid, squid, and shrimp pieces that I feed the other fish in the tank.

I got her from phishybusiness in Sept of last year. Serdar stated she ate flake food and mysis shrimp. I never once saw her eat flake, but she did eat mysis pretty well. She wont touch Nori, Formula 2, or Angel Formula by Ocean Nutrition, and she wont eat pellets either which really sucks cause I've bought several different types in an effort to get her on a more varied diet...

Broccoli is probably the best non marine vegatable to feed herbivores in the reef tank. The main drawback to it is that the fibers of the plant are so tough, that the fish have a difficult time digesting them completely. So you basically cook the broccoli florets on the stove on high heat in a frying pan for a few minutes til their bright green. The heat breaks down the fibers pretty well. After that, I put them in the freezer. When I need to feed, I pop a floret in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, which defrosts it, and further breaks down the fibers. The freezing does the same thing. Also, you can steam the broccoli for 10 minutes and then freeze it/microwave it.

Dont cook too long or you'll cook/steam the nutrients right out of the broccoli.

My Regal hits the broccoli pretty hard...I need to get my fingers out of the way sometimes....

Nick
Old 10/25/2007, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

My tank is 99.9% SPS and mine does not go after my SPS or my clam.
I seen him nipping on my Echino which I will now take out of my tank. And out of a couple zoos I have, he had to hit the AOG's. But the fish is more pretty then the zoos, so he can eat them if he wants.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Maxx,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to do some research on what type of fish this is (that is, herbivore, carnivore, or omniovre).

As far as the broccoli you are feeding your Regal; I have some information on this that I will send you in a PM.

thanks
kirk
Old 10/25/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

In general, please believe nothing your LFS tells you. There are few exceptions to this rule.
Old 10/25/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

I have a large Blue Tang that occasionally takes nips at my SPS corals, but by Regal doesn't. It does like zoos and I had to take one soft coral out, but it ignores the remaining soft corals and clams.

AFAIK it is only a very small miniority of Regals that bother SPS corals.

Steve
Old 10/25/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I was hoping that my Regal would trim back some of my zoos but he ignores them. He does like those little things that extend what looks like "little white whips" out of the sand.

Don Imus
Old 10/25/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Regal angel

So if I decide to purchase this fish, are there any special requirements or foods (ie, pods, etc.) that are needed to be in place in the QT tank before the fish arrives? ( I really do not want to re-read all 60+ pages again)..

thanks
kirk
Old 10/25/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

nctangman, the first thing you want to make sure is the fish is eating at the store. If it eats at the store then chances it will eat in your tank. Thats the biggest obstacle you have to worry.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I am still debating this, as I plan on having multiple angelfish in my tank, so I do not know if this fish is a smart choice. I dont want it to get picked on, and then stop eating..I would feel bad.

Kirk
Old 10/25/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

cthetoy,

I noticed you are in Rancho,CA. Are you fairing well with all the fires down your way.?
Old 10/25/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

If it is first angel in and is happily settled, it should not be bothered by new angels, unless they are a lot larger, but it may bother them.

I don't think they are all that timid once they are settled in. Mine would like to own the tank, if only it was big enough and I have read of many that are "the boss" in their tanks.

Steve
Old 10/26/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Steve,

The regal would be the first angel in the system and the second fish overall. A gold spotted rabbitfish (very timid) is the only other fish in my 375 gallon tank. My plan is to get all delicate fish acclimated first before the more "pushy" fish are introduced.

The delicate fish on my list are: Regal angel and Golden butterfly (Chaetodon semilarvatus)

the other angels I was considering are: Majestic and Emperor angelfish.

Kirk