Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/23/2007, 06:55 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark75
I have a Nova Extreme running these lamps.

Current 10K
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquasun
Current 10K

I have two questions, first I want to replace the Current 10K's. Here are the bulbs I am thinking of replacing them with;
UVL Super actinic
UVL Aquasun

My question is will I notice less growth in corals because of the low par of the actinic? I like the look of the actinic and how it pops certain colors but with the single reflector I need all the par I can get!

My second question is , should I remove the plexiglass shield between the bulbs and the water, will it give me more par? The light sets about 4" above the water.
If you pull the plexi you risk having the endcaps corrode. As far as the lamps You would maybe lose a little PAR but I wouldnt worry too much.
Old 09/23/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Well I guess I will ask before I buy my new bulbs.

I have a nova extreme 4 bulb fixture on my wife's reef tank and they need replaced she likes the blue look.

I would like to keep the blue look but increase the coral growth so I was thinking:

Front

ATI blue plus
GE 6500
ATI blue plus
GE 6500

Back

Or:

Front

ATI blue plus
ATI 12000K Aquablue special
GE 6500
ATI blue plus or ATI 12000K Aquablue special

back

Thanks in advanced
Justin
Old 09/23/2007, 07:36 PM

Try this

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus or Aquablue

The Red in the aquasun will help bring out pink and purple colors with all that blue.
Old 09/23/2007, 07:36 PM

Try this

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus or Aquablue (Blue Plus if you want a deep blue color)

The Red in the aquasun will help bring out pink and purple colors with all that blue.
Old 09/23/2007, 08:05 PM
Moved On

on my 75 i used to have a single 250 watt xm 10 k DE mh which broke so i put my sps i na friends tank untill my new light came in and now i have a tek t5 6 bulb unit with these bulbs
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
GE 3000K
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Aquablue
two questions, how should i acclimate the sps to this new light(they have been under a 400 watt de 14 k for about a week now)? and what would be a good photo period?
Old 09/23/2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by szeth13
on my 75 i used to have a single 250 watt xm 10 k DE mh which broke so i put my sps i na friends tank untill my new light came in and now i have a tek t5 6 bulb unit with these bulbs
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
GE 3000K
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Aquablue
two questions, how should i acclimate the sps to this new light(they have been under a 400 watt de 14 k for about a week now)? and what would be a good photo period?
You shouldn't need to acclimate. I would run the Dusk/dawn lights 10~12 hours and the mains 8~10.
Old 09/24/2007, 04:56 AM
Moved On

k thanks
Old 09/24/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Grim... once again, thanks for all your hard work helping us all out with our T-5s...

This is my bulb configuration on my 72" constellation fixture...

FRONT

ATI blue plus
UVL Super Actinic
GE Daylight 6500
ATI Blue Plus
Ge Daylight 6500
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

I was wondering what it would do to the coloration to switch one of the GE 6500s for a GE 3000...and which one would i trade, the one closest to the front or the back???

thanks!
Old 09/24/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Hello Grim,

Quick question. I have a 4x39w Tek light on my tank approximately 4" from the water surface mounted on the Tek brackets. I am noticing some salt spray on the reflectors (from my skimmer output). Don't want to put plexi glass on the fixture as I read it detracts from the light output. Is it possible to swap out the stock Tek fixture endcaps for water resistant end caps?

Excellent Thread, by the way.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Ok Grim,remember i asked you about the 18000k GLO bulb. Well it is def not a white or a blue bulb. It is hard to describe but might be on the beige side. I had it next to my ATI Aquablue and 6500k to see the dif. I will try and take a pic and post it for you to see.
Old 09/24/2007, 07:39 PM

Adding the 3000K tends to warm up the look by bringing out pink and purple colors. I would try it in place of the front GE and see what you think. If its too much you can always move it back toward the rear.

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim... once again, thanks for all your hard work helping us all out with our T-5s...

This is my bulb configuration on my 72" constellation fixture...

FRONT

ATI blue plus
UVL Super Actinic
GE Daylight 6500
ATI Blue Plus
Ge Daylight 6500
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

I was wondering what it would do to the coloration to switch one of the GE 6500s for a GE 3000...and which one would i trade, the one closest to the front or the back???

thanks!
Old 09/24/2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jayke
Hello Grim,

Quick question. I have a 4x39w Tek light on my tank approximately 4" from the water surface mounted on the Tek brackets. I am noticing some salt spray on the reflectors (from my skimmer output). Don't want to put plexi glass on the fixture as I read it detracts from the light output. Is it possible to swap out the stock Tek fixture endcaps for water resistant end caps?

Excellent Thread, by the way.
Doubt you can fit the water proof endcaps in it. Plexi will cut about 10% of the light.
Old 09/24/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

do you or anyone have a tank with any of these GE 3000k bulbs on it??
Old 09/24/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Sorry./.. also, by leaving all the other blue bulbs I have, the greens will still fluoresce right? In your opinion would putting a 3000k in the mix make the tank look better or worse?
Old 09/24/2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beaut
Ok Grim,remember i asked you about the 18000k GLO bulb. Well it is def not a white or a blue bulb. It is hard to describe but might be on the beige side. I had it next to my ATI Aquablue and 6500k to see the dif. I will try and take a pic and post it for you to see.
Interesting. UVL has a 75/25 Actinic/Daylight lamp that looks a little Pepto like. I wonder if they could be the same, hmmmm.
Old 09/24/2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
do you or anyone have a tank with any of these GE 3000k bulbs on it??
I used the 3000K on my 50 I had up for a while and used one on my current tank until I got the Fiji Purple and the UVL 75/25. I am just toying with a mix right now while I decide which T5 setup I am going to use. I plan on using the 3000K again for sure at this point. I like how it brings out the the coralline color in the rocks.
Old 09/24/2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry./.. also, by leaving all the other blue bulbs I have, the greens will still fluoresce right? In your opinion would putting a 3000k in the mix make the tank look better or worse?
Using the 3000K isn't going to affect fluorescence. Color is subjective, I can't say you are going to like or hate it.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

what would be the consensus in this thread with the acrylic shield? Is it better to add one or raise the fixture? I noticed my bulbs are a bit more difficult to turn in the endcaps. THe only problem I have with raising the fixture is that it blinds me and my son when we're looking at the tank. I would like to build the tek light into a canopy, but I'm not sure how, or if its possible. That would solve the height issue.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Grim... i went ahead and ordered a couple of the 3000s to see if I like them

Also, Should the Constellation be raised up off of the tank... and if so, how far? Right now, I just have it sitting directly on the tank and I am working on a pulley system to be able to raise the fixture out of the way to get in and work in the tank...

Thanks again!
Old 09/24/2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Grim... i went ahead and ordered a couple of the 3000s to see if I like them

Also, Should the Constellation be raised up off of the tank... and if so, how far? Right now, I just have it sitting directly on the tank and I am working on a pulley system to be able to raise the fixture out of the way to get in and work in the tank...

Thanks again!
You can leave it right on the tank or hang it.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

If i pick up the VHO icecap retro, and throw it in a DIY canopy, do i need to run fans? If so, just to cool the ballasts? If i mount the ballasts outside on the back, do i still need to run fans? If this is simple, awesome. if not i might just pick up a tx5.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:39 PM

I assume you are talking about the T5 retro? If so you only have to provide some airflow for the lamps. A fan blowing in on each side down the endcaps seems to be best.

The ballast just needs to be mounted to the heat sink in a dry place. the cooler the better but you don't need a fan,
Old 09/24/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again for helping me and everyone else who isn't as smart as you
I think the bulbs put out some heat but no more then the ballast. (I think) But if you haven't bought the kit i would go with T5's just because they are better bulb for bulb. (at less this is what the charts say) :P

Anyways, Grim,
I was wondering if coralvue is any good. With the individual reflectors 5" wide for 2 bulbs kit. So i was thinking about putting 2 compete kits 10" and another kit with out the reflectors little lower then the compete kits. Hopefully you understand what i mean. I also was reading some of the other post and was wondering about this bulb set up.
What bulbs give out the best growth and color?

(Refreshing your memory, tank is 55g and bulbs will be 54w)

Thank you so much sir!

Nick
Old 09/24/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

yea, the very high output t5's, i forgot they made VHO's as well.

So they definitely need fans rigged up?
Old 09/24/2007, 10:47 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1214393