Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Boston Reefers Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2004, 05:51 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Put a 6500k LOA on the sump & added some macro. Hooked up a small skimmer for now - Amiracle, already pulling out gunk
Thought I lost my CBS to the Blue Carpet. Turns out he molted, again. That's like the 3rd time since moving to the 125g. He must be increasing in size to fill up all available space
Old 02/03/2004, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

That's good news!
Old 02/07/2004, 02:43 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Not much of an update. I've been working on wiring the basement. I moved a dual 8' NO lamp over the new frag bench. At some point I will change the bulbs (most likely when they die) to 6500k from HD.
I've been ripping out old wiring (paper insulation wrapped around the norm insulation), and replacing w/new wires. Running new electric for the pump & the frag bench. So far I've bought over 500' of wire, I'm just getting going. I love finding dead wire that has been repalced, just cut & just left in place.
Plus of course the (2) live 220 feeds that were just tucked up in the basement were a "hot" find. Thank god the wires hit each other & not me

Off to wire...
Old 02/19/2004, 09:06 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Finally plumbed the Cannister filter, ETS skimmer, 75g fuge/frag.
Built another bench 4'x8', starting to fill the 75g.
Need to put in the VHO over frag tank & run electric
Old 02/19/2004, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

scuba you've been slacking lol. and where the heck are the new pics lol II.
Old 02/19/2004, 09:42 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Yeah, the only reason I managed to complete this part was that I was out "sick" yesterday.
I took some pictures before - place was a mess
After pictures weren't much better!!
I'm trying to get everything straightened away in time for the tank tour
No huge plans this weekend, hoping to get a lot done
Plus post more pics
Old 02/19/2004, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

yeah tell me about it. my house is such a mess my cat and my dog are threatening to abandon me. broke down 2 75G, one is back up, another is a stinky desert beach.
Old 02/19/2004, 11:46 AM
TheUltimateReefer

subscribing to this thread. love the tank scuba_dave. excellent work. can't wait to see it this weekend.

peter
Old 02/19/2004, 11:52 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Thanx, Still a work in progress, I need to finish a lot before it's a work of art (hopefully).
But each week (day) it looks better. Getting the frag tank up was needed. Now electrical. Then hopefully I can get the finish trim done on the tank.
Maybe by spring.....
Old 02/19/2004, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

scuba your setup looks great man. For your drains i have almost the same thing mine are in the back of the tank. i see you did a durso type drain, does it make any noise? My holes were drilled to low so if i lose power my sump will overflow. I tried putting elbows on the drain and pointing them up but they start sucking in air. So if your setup doesnt make any noise i wanna try it.
Again it's looking good.
Old 02/19/2004, 08:45 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

It doesn't make a sucking noise, just the sound of water flowing thru pipes. I do get occaisional noise when the vent holes plug up with salt. I am going to build a small overflow box inside thetank to surround the 2 pipes. Not for drainage, to keep small fish away. My dime size Hippo was stuck against one drain one morning
I am installing a tunze turbelle soon - 1850gph. Once I do that I will turn on my main skimmer. At present I have a little over 1400gph flowing to the sump & back up. The skimmer will cut this figure in 1/2. So I'll have about 2550 gph "flow/turnover" in the tank without powerheads

At some point in the future I will be boosting the return pump to a Dolphin 5000hhs. This will supply water to the skimmer (approx 800gph), the frag tank (appprox 1500gph) and the balance going to the tank approx 2500gph (an overflow T will go back to the tank in case 2500gph is too much). I sized the drains for close to 3000gph. Once I increase the flow, at that point I imagine the noise will increase. The drain area is going to be enclosed in a cabinet & insulated for sound.

I would fix the sump overflow issue, only a matter of time before it happens
Old 02/19/2004, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

hey dave i see you have a t on the outsid. How high does that pipe on top have to go or is there anything special you have to do. Not really familiar with durso setups. Thanks for the help Dave.

arnaldo
Old 02/19/2004, 10:10 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

It has to go above water line as a min, or it will overflow. I went about 4" above the top of the tank - this entire area will be inclosed in a cabinet.
Also I didn't use an exact T, it is a flow T. This means that the water going into the T is directed down. This helps w/drainage & cuts down on splashing (upwards). A small difference, but might as well use the T to direct the flow where you want it
Old 02/19/2004, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Sweet dave, weekend project added to new calcium reactor i'm putting in if it comes tomorrow.
Old 02/20/2004, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
No huge plans this weekend, hoping to get a lot done
i thought you had plans to return my cooler
Old 02/22/2004, 10:31 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

My messy fish room. Finished running electric. Total of 4 outlets under the bench + 2 on the wall. Plenty for any future plans. I have cleaned up quite a bit since I this pic. Also ran outlets to the rest of the basement. I still have overhead lighting to run (T-8 fixtures) & laundry room.

Yes, there is a fish room there somewhere.....
Old 02/22/2004, 11:01 PM
broke

my god that is messy
Old 02/23/2004, 12:04 AM
I'm Not Creative

it is kinda like, where's waldo...

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 02/23/2004, 07:48 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

, yeah & our club is doing a tank tour 1st full weekend in march. Looks a lot better now. I'll have to post an updated picture.
Instead of "Where's Waldo", Where's Blennie?
Old 02/23/2004, 01:25 PM
TheUltimateReefer

Hey Dave,

Thanks for letting me come over and check out your place. Things are looking good. Thanks for the frags too. They are already growing in my tank. Haha.

Peter
Old 02/23/2004, 03:06 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Glad to hear it. I'm still working on setting up my frag tank. I actually just need to finish the plumbing.
In 2 months you should have Xenia to donate to another newbie.
And the GSP should spread, just be careful to keep them away from any rock you do not want them on
Old 02/24/2004, 02:00 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Recently asked some questions & figured I'd post answers here:

My take on 125g setup:
I am in the process of adding a Ca Reactor - DIY from the acrylic tubes that everyone bought. I bought gauges & will be buying a CO2 bottle shortly. My Ca has always been low, dripping Kalk worked on a small tank, not on the 125g. With Randy's new recipe- dow flakes, maybe a Ca Reactor will not be needed, not sure.

At present I have an Amiracle protein skimmer hooked up that is from my 60g setup. It is too samll, I have an ETS 800 all plumbed in, just waiting to install a Tunze pump for recirc in the tank, then I will turn it on.
I got a good deal - used, otherwise I had intended on buying a Euroreef most likely. I was going oversize - better then undersizing it.

At present I have PFO HQI 250w SE w/AB bulbs. I have used the Ushio & like the AB better. I was thinking about trying the XM's, maybe next year
I am also considering upgrading to DE, or downgrading to 175's & using the 250's on the 180g tank

This tank is & will be mostly softies. For fish I have a 5-6" yellow tang, a small 2-3" yellowtail damsel, and a 1" maybe Hippo Tang
I'm not sure what else I will buy for fish. Some "black" percs - Onyx? Other then that, still looking

I just searched a bunch of threads on RC & posted threads w/questions on how to setup, ot what others have done.
Hope that helps
-D